Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Jan 2009 (Sunday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My LensPen SensorKlear ‘Pro Kit’ Review

2Thumbs
73 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 18, 2009 15:24 |  #1

Hello, this is my first post on here. Even though I've been 'hiding' for the last 2 weeks or so, I thought I'd pop my head over the fence with a review of my latest purchase... :)

I was quoted £50 by my local independent camera shop to clean the sensor on my DSLR. Not knowing what they’d use or who’d being doing it, I’d rather do it myself and know I’d make a good job taking care during the process. I also saved £15 by buying this kit.

I decided to go with the LensPen SensorKlear, which is a dry method. Partly because it’s had good feedback from people on forums (especially with my camera, a EOS 20D), and also because I’ve had an original LensPen that always travels with me and has never let me down so thought I’d go with what I know.

The Pro Kit consists of:

• LensPen SensorKlear
• 3x Spare SensorKlear Heads
• Hurricane (Rocket) Blower
• MicroKlear Microfiber Suede Cloth
• Natural Leather Carrying Case

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/TuThumbs/senso​rklear.jpg (external link)

Everything is of an extremely high quality in this kit; especially the case and the Microfiber cloth which you would think are comparative afterthoughts.

The case uses very soft good quality leather, the zip is of a good quality with two zippers and it can hold all of the items that come in the kit with ease yet it takes up very little space.

The cloth is soft, quite strong and has good quality soft stitching which should prevent scratching. Please note this cloth is designed for general cleaning of the camera, and NOT to be used on the sensor.

The hurricane blower is made of a thick quality rubber with transparent blue plastic nozzle with rubber tip to prevent damage. It uses a double inlet valve which stops the blower from taking in dusty air. In comparison to my previous U.N. blower brush it pushes at least 3 times as much air in one squeeze yet is of similar dimensions.

The SensorKlear itself is quite different in appearance compared to the Original LenPen. Firstly it’s a lot narrower, this is so it’s easier to get to the sensor without hitting the mirror or side of the camera. Also it’s matt with a textured feel possibly for better grip, where as the LensPen is a gloss black smooth plastic. The tip of the SensorKlear employs a triangular shape so that it’s possible to get in to the corners.

All photos were taken at F/32 with appropriate shutter speed. Processed in RAW with auto WB in PS and then auto-leveled to bring out the imperfections

Below is a picture before sensor cleaning:

http://img.photobucket​.com …244/TuThumbs/IM​G_3690.jpg (external link)

After using rocket blower:

http://img.photobucket​.com …244/TuThumbs/IM​G_3694.jpg (external link)

After two goes over with the SensorKlear

http://img.photobucket​.com …244/TuThumbs/IM​G_3701.jpg (external link)

I'm very impressed with the results, the above took me 5 minutes or so and I wasn't rushing at all. Pretty sure the last of it is from the lens/filter. I 'could' give the sensor another go, but I'm happy.

My only gripe for it is that their are no physical instructions with the kit except a few small sheets which goes over it very briefly. But the whole process is pretty self-explanatory, especially if you've used any LensPen product in the past.

If you already have a blower etc, you can buy the pen separately for £11-£15, which IMO is a bargain!

So it gets a thumbs up from me with a score of 9/10. One knocked off purely because of no instructions for novices.

Canon EOS 5Dc | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS | Tokina (11-)16mm f/2.8
Speedlite 430EX | Lowepro Flipside 300 + Crumpler Muffin Top 5500
My LensPen SensorKlear 'Pro Kit' Review

sponsored links
goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 18, 2009 15:30 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks for the in-depth review. I've cleaned my 350D once using the wet method, but am still afraid to do it. It got cleaned just fine; I have to be really careful though. I'll probably have to clean my 40D after several trips in the spring and may think about this dry method.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

2Thumbs
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 18, 2009 17:51 |  #3

My pleasure.

I too would be very cautious about using a wet method. I was cautious using the LensPen as well though, but I found it un-eventful (the good kind).

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,878 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 18, 2009 18:37 as a reply to  @ 2Thumbs's post |  #4

Nice review, that looks like a great kit!

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

Kris_2020
516 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 18, 2009 18:52 |  #5

Can I use the lens pen to clean the sensor? I am not even sure where the dust is because I tried blowing off everything with the rocket blower but it is still there.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L Mark 2 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | 580 EX II

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 18, 2009 18:59 |  #6

Kris_2020 wrote in post #7105652 (external link)
Can I use the lens pen to clean the sensor? I am not even sure where the dust is because I tried blowing off everything with the rocket blower but it is still there.

I wouldn't recommend it. The sensorpen and lenspen have two different tips. The lenspen is a circle and is rather large. The sensorpen is a triangle and appears to have a different sort of material on it.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,878 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 18, 2009 19:06 as a reply to  @ TaDa's post |  #7

I wouldnt use the Lens Pen to clean the sensor!

Make sure you're using a brush meant for cleaning sensors.

It looks like those tips are more for removing smudges from the glass on the lenses, not sensors.

I have a lens pen, but not the whole kit and I wouldnt touch the sensor with it at all

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 18, 2009 19:54 |  #8

Nice review. I've been using a SensorKlear pen for a couple of years. Works great. Just remember to tap the tip a couple of times before using it on the sensor to remove any extra graphite residual.

Jim

My Gear

2Thumbs
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 18, 2009 20:06 |  #9

The size difference between the LensPen and the SensorKlear's tip is surprisingly large.

Also the body of the pens are different in terms of thickness. (I'll take a comparison picture at some point)

So I wouldn't suggest it, no.

spitfirejd
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 19, 2009 19:40 |  #10

Canon uses the SensorKlear pens to clean the CMOS. Good enough for them, good enough for me!

Jeff
”Your eye must see a composition or expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone for ever.” Henri Cartier-Bresson

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 20, 2009 06:09 |  #11

Will the pen remove stubborn specs?

Like others I'm wary of wet cleaning and would like something that I could shift those bits that the brush won't shift. If it would I might invest in a lenspen as well, not for the lens, but for my focus screen, which has a tiny smear in one corner, although it would make more sense to use a disposable pad for that.

That is a filthy sensor you've got there. I've never seen one as bad.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 20, 2009 08:37 |  #12

I can attest to the SensorKlear as well. I just used it on my 1D MkIIn last week with great results, just be gentle. Canon techs do use this to clean sensors so I think that I will too! Took me about 10 minutes when you consider test shots, verifying dust, cleaning, etc.

For those of you in this thread asking about a lenspen for sensor cleaning.

WARNING: There is a lenspen for lenses, and a SensorKlear for sensors. Do not use the lenspen for the sensor!

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 20, 2009 12:55 |  #13

How hard can you press? (Compared to how hard you can use a Lenspen)

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 20, 2009 13:04 |  #14

I've tried the SensorKlear and it works very well. I've got a Copperhill kit too, but of the two the SensorKlear is a lot easier to use.

BiLL

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 20, 2009 13:43 |  #15

Vascilli wrote in post #7117992 (external link)
How hard can you press? (Compared to how hard you can use a Lenspen)

I went in gently, but you can use a small amount of pressure. I wouldn't push hard though. Trial and error starting with the lowest amount of pressure is best.

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

sponsored links

16,607 views & 0 likes for this thread
My LensPen SensorKlear ‘Pro Kit’ Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.