Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jan 2009 (Monday) 19:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alien Bees users check in!

this thread is locked
AxxisPhoto
Goldmember
1,893 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 19, 2009 19:12 |  #1

Hi all,

After extensive searching of the forums, I could not find a thread on just Alien Bee users. So here we go!!

I have 2 B1600's and a B800 for backlighting/rim lighting. I use 2 Photek Softlighter II umbrellas. One 60" for my main light light, and a 46" for fill. And use the B800 with a 30° Honeycomb grid for a hair light. I love the consistent light output and solid build quality of the monolights. My only issue is that all the accessories are propriteary, and you have to buy AB made softboxes, etc. from them.

Just want to hear from AB users what they think about the lights.

Web: Erotiklab (external link)(NSFW)

sponsored links
roaming ­ oregon
157 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 19, 2009 19:55 |  #2

I just bought a boat load of Alien Bees stuff. Check my sig to see all the money I blew... Stuff just arrived and no formal shooting yet. did some test shots just to make sure it all works. The giant umbrella softbox was damaged so when I called today they were super quick to take care of me and are sending out a new one with a call tag for the broken one. I'm pretty stoked on my experience so far!

I know many guys that are using them and the simplicity of the site, customer service, all the modifiers etc made it a no brainer for me. I'm going to use them for stuff that I drive to and can spend time with set-ups/specific shoots.

When I fly somewhere or need to do quick and light, or move around I'll be using the qflashes.

www.jakespointofview.c​om (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=1193134&post​count=1020

denMAR
362 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2009 21:32 |  #3

I will be purchasing some bees very shortly. I am very excited.

denMAR

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 19, 2009 22:12 |  #4

AxxisPhoto wrote in post #7113116 (external link)
Hi all,

My only issue is that all the accessories are propriteary, and you have to buy AB made softboxes, etc. from them.

Don't know what you mean that you have to buy AB softboxes for AB lights. You can buy any softbox as long as you got the right speedring. I am using photoflex medium SB and photoflex 5' octodome with my AB800s. I also got AB strip box for use with AB400.

If you dig old post from Robert (TMR) he shows how to use lowel accesories like barn doors etc with AB lights.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

BCRose
393 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 19, 2009 23:48 |  #5

AxxisPhoto wrote in post #7113116 (external link)
My only issue is that all the accessories are propriteary

I have found that AB lights are the easiest to adapt to almost any softbox, they have a simple spring loaded gizmo that you just squeeze closed and let go once you put the softbox in place, it releases and holds the softbox in place, very simple. I use it with snoots etc.

ComeauPhoto (external link)

Lotto
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 20, 2009 01:14 |  #6

I have been using couple Bees for few years. Nothing fancy but provides what I need reliably. I like they have the remote capability build in and work well with portable power pack. I added the Lite Mod, gel and grid set, don't own any AB softbox but use Photoflex and Amvona boxes in various sizes.

I don't have the color inconsistency problem. Partly because I rarely turn the power below 1/16. (Forget about f1.4, it's hard to keep both eyes in focus with 2.8 with my 5D.) Also I always shoot RAW and PP every keeper individually, including adjusting WB for best skin tone.

Always hear about their good customer services, have not call them once yet because of product failures.

So their strobes fire eveytime I ask, the accessories are resonantly priced, and my experience with them has been very positive.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

AmpedPhoto
Goldmember
1,165 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 20, 2009 02:09 |  #7

I love my bees...simple

Canon 5D Mark II (x2), 30D, 40D, G10, 70-200 F4 IS (x2), 16-35 f2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, 430 EX II (x2), 580 EX II Tamron 28-75 F2.8 (x2), Tonkia 12-24 F4, 10-18 Fisheye, Full studio with some light :)
AmpedPhoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)

mrerico
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 20, 2009 05:02 |  #8

I own two AB800's along with a shoot thru umbrella that has a black cover and a silver umbrella.

I love my Alienbee's I can't wait to get a vagabond though. Really want to start doing on location shoots.

Edit/ By the way I am doing a 365 day project using my alienbees and other strobes :) link is in sig if anyone is curious

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 20, 2009 05:57 as a reply to  @ mrerico's post |  #9

i just got my 2nd B800
i use them with two 4ft octaboxes

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 20, 2009 05:59 |  #10

Looks like the start of an AB CJ

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

kickmaster
568 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 20, 2009 06:31 |  #11

Love my Bees! Their customer service is outstanding!!!

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Interfit's, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

CanadianKitKat
920 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 20, 2009 08:42 |  #12

I just got 2 AB800's along with a bunch of accessories last week. Haven't used them yet other than to test everything to make sure it's working. So far so good though, am planning to play with them further today.

www.ktklassen.com (external link)

AxxisPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,893 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 20, 2009 10:59 |  #13

BCRose wrote in post #7114920 (external link)
I have found that AB lights are the easiest to adapt to almost any softbox, they have a simple spring loaded gizmo that you just squeeze closed and let go once you put the softbox in place, it releases and holds the softbox in place, very simple. I use it with snoots etc.

Hmm... I never even tried any other light modifier company on my Bees! There are some profoto strip boxes I would love to have.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about AB's stellar customer service. :D

Web: Erotiklab (external link)(NSFW)

alisaconn
92 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 20, 2009 11:27 |  #14

I love my bees also. They are so easy to use and I'm a beginner. The owner of the bees also owens White Lighting.

Lotto
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 20, 2009 13:27 |  #15

neil_r wrote in post #7116084 (external link)
Looks like the start of an AB CJ

I promise this one is different from L lover club. We actually shoot pictures with them rather than shooting picture of them :)

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

sponsored links

1,758,863 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alien Bees users check in!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.