Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should I get? (backup trip to Europe)

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2009 14:44 |  #1

Bit of a noob photographer but getting out there and shooting more and more and kinda started to get the hang of what i like.

using a XS with kit 18-55 (non-is) and nifty-fifty, i sold the 75-300 to reduce the price of my camera body cause everyone was saying how the lens is absolute crap. (not a big fan of zoom lens anyway...)

but now i think i'll need an additional lens for my trip to Europe... what do you guys recommend?

Keep in mind I'm on a cheap *** budget..

initially i was thinking

tamron
17-50
28-75

or
Canon
55-250
28-135

anybody do a backtrip before.. what did you carry with you?

sponsored links
twiggles
763 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 21, 2009 14:49 |  #2

I have the 28-135IS and it is a GREAT lens for the $ IMO. My FAVORITE shot was taken with this lens. The IS is pretty good and will give you some versatility in low light conditions. Also, there are quite a few of these in the forum's marketplace section, I bet you could get one for a good price.

I ahev heard pretty good things about the 55-250 also. I dont have any experience with it though...

T-Wiggles

40D Gripped | 5D Gripped | Elan 7 | G12 | 24-105L | 80-200 f/2.8L | 85 f/1.8 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 10-20 | 430 EX (x2) |etc etc etc... My equipment FAR OUTWEIGHS my skill...always looking for CC

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 21, 2009 14:54 |  #3

I would recommend the 55-250. It's a terrific lens, and combined with your existing kit lens, will give you a very broad range. It's also very light and convenient to carry.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,165 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 21, 2009 15:24 |  #4

i definitely wouldn't do either of those...they both seem to cover the same ranges...i'd mix and match...you say you're not a fan of the zoom though, so i think i'd throw the 55-250 out even though it's a great lens, it doesn't suit your needs...i think in that case i'd go tamron 17-50 2.8 for wide/low light shots...and then 28-135 for a bit more reach...and also bring your fifty

if you want really wide you could go for a sigma 10-20mm, and then a 28-135IS, and strictly use your 50 for low light situations

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2009 15:41 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #5

yeah just trying to figure out if will need some zoom and wide on this trip.. not really a landscape person put since i'm travelling and visiting all sites i'm sure i'll be taking tons of scenary pics..

anyone recommend a cheap budget wide

wondering i've i'm going to need to invest in a couple of extra batteries and grip as well...

man, gonna be broke before i get on the plane...

DreDaze
18,165 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 21, 2009 15:55 |  #6

yeah i'd probably invest in a couple of batteries...also make sure you've got a converter...you should probably be able to get away with the 17mm on the wide end...but the sigma is probably the cheapest UWA you'll find...you may be broke, but just think of the adventure...i backpacked thru europe for 2 months...but unfortunately had just gotten my first film point and shoot at the time(sounds like such a long time ago, but it was only 6 1/2 years:))...wish i could go back there now with what i've got/know..

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 05, 2009 23:11 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #7

i've been able to find a battery grip, extra battery and 18-55 IS... just can't score a good deal on an UWA yet..

darksparkz
214 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 05, 2009 23:59 |  #8

I agree for getting a wide, the 17-50 2.8 would be amazing. I did a Europe trip this past summer and definitely felt going wide would be very useful. 24 or 28 on a crop body isn't wide enough at all in my opinion.

I'd say the f/2.8 would help a lot in the low lighting conditions of indoor places, such as cathedrals or dark corridors. European cities have a lot less light pollution as compared to major American cities.

Extra batteries for sure, grip if you want, tons of memory of course, and a good bag.

But if you have the 18-55 IS already, you can pair it with a sigma 10-20, or any of the uwa's, but they do run around $400.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

jrntr6
233 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 06, 2009 02:44 |  #9

I've done a fair bit of traveling throughout Europe. Generally, I only use my tokina 11-16 and sigma 28-70 f2.8. I generally don't see a need to go any longer as most cities in Europe are to tightly packed to need telephotos. If I were you I would consider adding an ultra wide, but you already have 18mm on the wide end so it's not necessary. So for this trip I think your kit is fine as it is, unless you want to upgrade a lens or you decide you want to go wider then 18mm.

For me the ultimate European travel lens is the 17-55 F2.8 IS. I know this is likely out of you budget, I'm just explaing why it's great for Europe so you can think about what you want. I already explained above the need for wide lenses in Europe. Also, it is likely you will be visiting lots of churches or museums, most of which do not allow the use of flash or tripods. So having a fast lens with IS can be very useful.

Jeff

-50D, 30D & 300D 11-200MM of third party F2.8 glass, the bigmos and one little guy that some people call nifty

jrntr6
233 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 06, 2009 02:44 |  #10

I also agree extra batteries and memory cards are key.

Jeff

-50D, 30D & 300D 11-200MM of third party F2.8 glass, the bigmos and one little guy that some people call nifty

mleone
788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 06, 2009 05:31 |  #11

I would keep your 18-55IS and pickup some UWA len (10mm-xxmm), extra batts and memory cards.

Having been to Europe twice in the last 6mo and both times with a UWA and mid-range was all I needed. Italy- Aug 08 was 40d w/ 10-22, 28-70. Montenegro Jan 09 was 5d w/ 24-105 and 35L. Short of sports long glass is not needed. The biggest thing was batteries and cards. In Italy I used 8 4GB cards in 14 days, Monty I used 2 4GB and 2 8GB cards in 10days. Also ate all 4 batteries in both trips.

My $.02

Mike

:D My goodies

MPCman
858 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 06, 2009 05:48 |  #12

When I went on hoilday in the USA last summer, i brought my gripped 400d and 12 duracell AA batteries.
Shot 2500 pictures and the second set of 6 batteries died in the plane home.

I didn't have to recharge during the whole holiday, and was able to buy new batteries anywhere I went, but didn't even need to do so.

I would say 'get a grip' :D

7D, EOS-M, 100-400 L, 15-85, Tokina 11-16 2.8, EF-M 11-22, 55-200

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2009 06:50 as a reply to  @ MPCman's post |  #13

yeah i keep thinking that i want to go with less and less gear cause i'm going to be walking and walking and walking...for 16 days more or less.. need to find an ideal bag too....i have a backpack one.. but think the lunch box style might be better..

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 21, 2009 13:47 as a reply to  @ shaolinmonk's post |  #14

hey guys.. i'm trying to decide between the canon 10-12 and the tokina 11-16... which do you think will suit my europe trip more? will i really need the 2.8 in churches etc? i don't plan to carry a tripod

DreDaze
18,165 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 21, 2009 19:22 |  #15

shaolinmonk wrote in post #7374972 (external link)
hey guys.. i'm trying to decide between the canon 10-12 and the tokina 11-16... which do you think will suit my europe trip more? will i really need the 2.8 in churches etc? i don't plan to carry a tripod

between those two, i would go for the tokina...however neither is much of a budget friendly lens...if you go for the 10-22...i'd look towards the sigma 10-20mm...what other lenses have you decided on?

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,812 views & 0 likes for this thread
What should I get? (backup trip to Europe)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.