Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Jan 2009 (Thursday) 15:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

pic of my new guitar...need opinions

Walczak ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 22, 2009 15:59 |  #1

Hey Folks,
Sorry it's been a while since I posted...between the music and the weather later, I've been kind of busy. I do have some new shots from the Cleveland Zoo that I'll (hopefully) get posted in a couple of days but I have something different here I'd like to get some thoughts on.

I went out this last weekend and bought -another- guitar...for those keeping count, this makes #20. For you guitar folks out there, this one isn't really that big a deal...it's just a Squire "Bullet" but for what I plan to use it for, it's perfect. Anyways, I wanted to get a shot of her, along with the new tweed case my wife got me for the holidays, so I was down in the studio messing around a bit today. This shot was taken with my 40D and my Tamron 28-80mm. It was processed in Photoshop, but honestly I didn't do too much to it...basic adjustments. It's a long exposure shot and I did the "painting with light" thing...this was actually lit with a MAGlite. I was trying to go for a really moody "vintage" look here (vintage as in reference to the guitar, not the photography specifically) and I'm not really sure I got what I was after.

So that said, any thoughts on what I could have done differently here? I tried shooting this from a couple of different angles, but this was the one I liked best...but it still doesn't seem quite right to me.

IMAGE: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5355/img4010kl6.jpg

Feel free to be brutal here...I'm open to suggestions!

Oh....BTW...I'm sorry this shot sucks...I was only using a "kit" lens! LOL!!! Sorry...I just had to :D.

As always, thanks!
Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,401 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 22, 2009 16:12 |  #2

If it were an acoustic guitar, I would be insanely jealous.

I think the red velvet does not help the image. It steals from the warm tones of the wood. Convert it to blue or green is my advice.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Zoodles
284 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 22, 2009 16:19 |  #3

Japanese Squire? :)

Howard
---------------
Canons: EOS Digitals (2) and oldAE-1 etc.; a bunch of lenses - some L-glass, some better than others; Manfrotto tripod w/488 ball-head; a few flashes + lots of other crap…

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 22, 2009 16:21 |  #4

Great shot I like the red and am a big strat fan myself only have one but its a nice 65 the only thing I might have done is removed the tremolo bar as it is a bit distracting.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Walczak ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 22, 2009 17:03 |  #5

Zoodles wrote in post #7164991 (external link)
Japanese Squire? :)

"Crafted in China" actually, as is my Squire Standard that I bought last year. Don't let the origin fool ya though...there's some really good sh@t coming out of those Chinese factories. For $200 my Squire Standard is...well...un-freakin-real! Am Std hardware (including stainless saddles) very nice neck and the finish is simply flawless (at least it was until I dinged it with my cable). As I told my wife, I simply could not have built a guitar as nice as that Standard for anywhere even close to $200.

Damian75 wrote in post #7165002 (external link)
Great shot I like the red and am a big strat fan myself only have one but its a nice 65 the only thing I might have done is removed the tremolo bar as it is a bit distracting.

This is actually my fifth strat...here's the whole Strat family including the new one (minus my Kramer which while "strat-styled" isn't really a Strat) ...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Left to right is my "Frankenstrat", the new Bullet, my '96 MIM Standard (now with blackface cosmetics, Duncan pups, Callaham trem block, LSR roller nut, etc), the "other" new Strat...a Squire Standard and my Lotus.

I hear ya on the trem bar...wasn't really sure if I should leave it on or take it off...as you can see I took them all off for this shot.

Thanks for the kind words!
Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Gear List

Walczak ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 22, 2009 17:05 |  #6

joedlh wrote in post #7164948 (external link)
If it were an acoustic guitar, I would be insanely jealous.

I'll post the shots of my acoustics another day. I don't have any Fender acoustics, but I do have a Seagull S-6, Ovation CC-257, Conn 12 string, a 1937 Kay and several others.

Gear List

sponsored links

874 views & 0 likes for this thread
pic of my new guitar...need opinions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.