Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jan 2009 (Friday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How long for a new battery to charge??

ssdang
25 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2009 21:51 |  #1

I just received my brand new 50D today. I've had the battery charging since about noon today but it's still showing the amber light on the charger. When I first plugged it in, the charge light was flashing for a while before it became solid amber. It's been about 7 hrs but the charge light is still amber. Does it take this long for a brand new battery to charge??? I'm dying to use my new 50d but I want to make sure the battery is fully charged the first time!

sponsored links
ssracer
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2009 21:53 |  #2

Don't know about the 50D, but the ones for the XS only take a couple of hours. It should tell you in the manual, probably in the getting started section at the beginning.

- Sean
my gear
my flickr (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 23, 2009 21:53 |  #3

If it's anything like the charger for my 30D, flashing indicates stages of charging; solid light indicates complete. Check your manual.

Jark89
172 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 23, 2009 21:55 |  #4

Hehehe, it's done charging. I think these batteries usually takes around 90 minutes to fully charge, then you should leave it plugged in for another hour or so. For the charger, the scale is, if I remember correctly:

3 quick flashes = low charge

2 flashes = 50% charge

1 slow flash = 75% charge

no flash, light is on constant = 100% charge

https://www.dpreview.c​om/galleries/090508506​3 (external link)

ssracer
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2009 21:58 |  #5

Per the 50D manual:
It takes about 100 min. to fully recharge a completely exhausted battery.

Recharge Level Charge Lamp
0-50% Blinks once per second
50-75% Blinks twice per second
75-90% Blinks three times per second
90% or Higher Lights on

- Sean
my gear
my flickr (external link)

ssdang
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2009 22:01 as a reply to  @ Jark89's post |  #6

Man...I knew I should've read that manual! LOL! Here I am waiting for the amber light to turn green. That's what I'm use to with my chargers for my canon video camera! Thanks for the help! I've been lurking for a few months and just joined the forum recently! You guys have alot to share and I have alot to learn!

I hope to post a picture of a duck real soon! :)

caseyjohnphotography
969 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 23, 2009 22:03 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

normally put mine on for 24 hours to be certain whenever i have a new one.

1D Mark III | 17-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS| 580EX II | 430EX II | 3 PocketWizard Plus II's

Brad ­ Remick
Goldmember
1,117 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 23, 2009 22:14 |  #8

5 minutes. I can never wait longer then that.

Some stuff that says "Canon" on it and a happy trigger finger.

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take" Wayne Gretzky (Yes, I know he was talking about hockey but it seems applicable here too):) www.BradRemick.com (external link)

beepclick
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 24, 2009 00:58 |  #9

If you have time, let it charge for 1 hour after light turns solid. I read that somewhere, possibly in Canon literature.

Gear https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=635450

sponsored links

4,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
How long for a new battery to charge??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.