Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Jan 2009 (Monday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 500mm, 600mm and 800mm owners and potential buyers please respond.

dolina
Goldmember
4,850 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 08, 2009 22:09 |  #76

The 400's the heaviest among all the lenses and too short for birding/wildlife unless you want to go into the water which is one motivation in getting the longest EF lens with 4-stop IS.

silvex wrote in post #7481202 (external link)
IQ suffers with 2x, but little with 1.4x. Same goes for most superteles with 2x, but if carring a fast and reach is your needs. The 400f/2.8 IS will do with 1.4x and 2x extenders.

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 12, 2009 01:17 |  #77
bannedPermanent ban

TooManyShots wrote in post #7483346 (external link)
What bokeh??? Your bokeh tends to get worst once you put a converter on it. I don't think 400 X 1.4 converter isn't much of a reach comparing 500 with a converter. Adding a 2x converter you don't necessary always get good looking shots under your less than good condition.

I never said I would keep a converter on the whole time. Having the 2.8 gives the option to have greater bokeh than 500 f4. 400 x 1.4 = 560 3.9 (f4), so there would be more reach with that than the 500 f4 without a converter. Converters don't really effect these monster primes as much as they do zooms, you wouldn't lose much quality if you were to put a 1.4x on a 400 2.8. Granted you'd have to stop down a little bit more to get the same range of sharpness you could without the converter, but thats just common sense. Personally I'd like to have the option to go fast and close, rather than limit myself to a gigantic lens and be limited by its aperture.
^
That said before I was confused between the DO specifications of the 400 2.8 and the 400 2.8L.

I'd much rather go with something lighter, now, either that or have a kick ass tripod to put that heavy thing on.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

andr
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 12, 2009 03:08 |  #78

There is something called a monopod though. A great thing to use with all of them.

If have shot with the 600 handheld a lot of times, but it is a bit heavy. When I travel i prefere the 500. Light and pretty allround, and long enough to make an differens
compare to the 70-200.

My nr 2 choise is the 800 for shooting on longer disanses than the 500.

gasrocks wrote in post #7194314 (external link)
But the beauty of the new EF 800 is that it can be handheld. It is not much longer or heavier than the 500. The 600 is a tripod only lens.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 500mm, 600mm and 800mm owners and potential buyers please respond.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.