Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 05:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kata 3n1 review PLUS comparison with Slingshot 300 with pics

Philscbx
199 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 12, 2009 22:33 |  #31

From several tours to Europe with maybe most of it in Amsterdam, I have attended the Queens Birthday at least twice.
You read about warnings of pickpocket, but I never actually came across it. I was there for several months at a time.
People who have must have spent too much time at the coffee shops.
At that point, they could pick your pockets after they have your pants.

You have a rain cover to camo the bags design.
You also need hooded raincoat in most cases, and it can be used in any fashion to cover the bag to down style your status.
If you loosely attach $100 bills to your outfit, some might be missing.

The main tactic I use is place gear bag into the cheapest overhead style roller bag.
Pick these up when you get there. Or before. Try to fit in as a local.
You more than likely will need it to pack what you picked up on the tour.
Don't open bag exposing gear in dense zones.

I wear rain coat or trench coat where I can sling camera out of view under coat when out of the bag.
So leave the bright Canon straps at home.

When it's time to head to the airport, gear bag goes into overhead roller bag, and then over head.
I have to admit, it's a total pita going through security.
I have been pulled out of line to be searched in Holland before getting to ticket counter with military guards sporting M-16 style gear.
So do get there early. Slight handicap with language can get in the way sometimes.
Cheers

1DsMkII, 30D, G5, ZS3 Luv It, Contax, MacPro, MacBookPro
http://farm4.static.fl​ickr.com …76094054_687de5​6f6d_o.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
lewcid
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 13, 2009 08:30 as a reply to  @ Philscbx's post |  #32

Hey guys, thanks again for all the brilliant feedback.

Perhaps I should look at this from a different perspective. The main attraction of the 3n1 for me is not so much quick access to the camera (that's always around my neck!) but rather to be able to quickly change lenses without having to take the bag off and put it off the ground. For those of you who have been using this bag, what is your take on this? Are you able to easily switch lenses by slinging the bag around?

With regards to laptop storage I'd only have it in the bag when flying and then it would get left behind at the hotel while im out and about with the bag. With pick pocketing my concern is mostly someone being able to get into the bag while its on my back, without my being aware of it. I'm otherwise pretty careful, ill sling the bag around to the front if on public transport etc. I've used regular backpacks before without it being a problem so I'm leaning towards thinking I might be acting a little paranoid about the quick access.

Thanks again everyone!

Saq
PS: about my evil Nikon shooting side, if it helps every P&S I've ever had has been a Canon! :)

riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 13, 2009 08:53 as a reply to  @ lewcid's post |  #33

Saq

With regard to changing lenses, it is possible to swing the bag around and open up the bag to get access to the lenses. If you are going to always have the camera on your neck, you can even configure the bag to have your next most needed lens to be accessible by the quick access compartment.

For your purposes, the laptop "compartment" of the Kata can be used effectively - as long as you realise that it is not a "compartment" FOR the laptop (meaning you need to adjust to it)

BTW - looks like you are a hybrid ! :D

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2009 08:57 |  #34

lewcid wrote in post #7317005 (external link)
Are you able to easily switch lenses by slinging the bag around?

Swinging it around front is like having a table right in front of you while you walk. It makes changes very easy.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

lewcid
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 13, 2009 09:13 as a reply to  @ dan j's post |  #35

OK, brilliant guys. Thanks so much. I've decided I'll be ordering one. I think it might be close to an ideal every day camera bag, and once I have it I can evaluate if I need something different for visits to particularly dodgy places (Istanbul - haven of pickpockets comes to mind!) or if this will fine for that purpose as well. Thanks again! Saq

lewcid
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 13, 2009 12:20 as a reply to  @ lewcid's post |  #36

By the way, does anyone have a lead on where a tripod holder for this bag can be ordered in Europe?
Cheers,
Saq

riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 16, 2009 03:48 |  #37

USER876 wrote in post #7237256 (external link)
do you have any pics of the kata on your back?

sorry for the delay in posting this - hope this helps

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 16, 2009 08:04 as a reply to  @ riyazi's post |  #38

thanks! One more question, how tall are you?

riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 16, 2009 08:20 |  #39

USER876 wrote in post #7335423 (external link)
thanks! One more question, how tall are you?

No worries. I am 5' 8". I should mention that I like to carry back packs a little lower on my back than most people - hence the position in the picture.

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 16, 2009 10:11 |  #40

I also posted a photo in https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?p=7308563 of me (5'6") wearing the -20.

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 16, 2009 14:04 as a reply to  @ tigerotor77w's post |  #41

I think I am going to go with the 20.....although dimensions are not that different, the 30 looks MUCH bigger.

glbtrekker
125 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 17, 2009 20:28 as a reply to  @ USER876's post |  #42

Question. Did you determine that the Kata was more comfortable on a long hike? I noticed that you switched for this purpose, but never read if you had reached a conclusion yet. I'm currently looking for a bag that I will carry/wear all day and I am looking for one that will not leave me with a sore shoulder(s) at the end of the day.

Thanks for the review!

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 17, 2009 20:53 |  #43

The 30 is a decent increase in size over the 20. Think I'll be sticking with the 20.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 18, 2009 04:02 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #44

I did use the Kata for long walks and the sling shot trap started becoming uncomfortable after about half an hour or so (about the same time that it took the Slingshot to be uncomfortable). But the advantage with the Kata is that you just switch on to backpack mode and it is really really comfortable. I now use it mostly on back pack mode but put it to sling shot when I need to keep changing lenses. Only issue is that the strap length has to be changed every time you change modes - ie: the single strap has to be longer when in slingshot mode and shorter in back pack mode - it it not just a matter of changing the strap position but also need to change the length which is a bit of annoying thing but not too bad

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 18, 2009 06:38 |  #45

Thanks for the review. It reafirms my decision to have bought the Fastpac... which is really a Slingshot with a top compartment and 2 shoulder straps. Having complete access to the camera/lens compartment is a must and the raison d'etre of this still of bag. If you can't access every lens and don't need to then there are better bags out there, imo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

48,702 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kata 3n1 review PLUS comparison with Slingshot 300 with pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.