Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 05:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kata 3n1 review PLUS comparison with Slingshot 300 with pics

glbtrekker
125 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 18, 2009 11:44 |  #46

riyazi wrote in post #7546630 (external link)
I did use the Kata for long walks and the sling shot trap started becoming uncomfortable after about half an hour or so (about the same time that it took the Slingshot to be uncomfortable). But the advantage with the Kata is that you just switch on to backpack mode and it is really really comfortable. I now use it mostly on back pack mode but put it to sling shot when I need to keep changing lenses. Only issue is that the strap length has to be changed every time you change modes - ie: the single strap has to be longer when in slingshot mode and shorter in back pack mode - it it not just a matter of changing the strap position but also need to change the length which is a bit of annoying thing but not too bad

Have you considered wearing the bag in a backpack still but criss-crossing the straps? If I'm not mistaken, I have read that will allow you the comfort of the backpack config. with the ability to simply unlatch one buckle and swing the bag around in the sling style. Have you tried that? I would be interested to know if it actually works.

sponsored links
riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 18, 2009 14:12 as a reply to  @ glbtrekker's post |  #47

yeah thats what I wanted to do the next time - will let you know when I try it on a walk around

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

adblink
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 28, 2009 23:39 |  #48

thanks a ton for making this post. I have the 300 now and have been contemplating the move to this bag as well. I'm going to Europe for 18 days and need something way more comfortable, looks like I might have to rig something up for added security but thats ok.

Now just need to find a Canadian retailer whos not going to rip me off :(

|Canon 40D + BG-E2N | 580EXII | 430EX | Phottix Atlas Triggers
|100mm F/2.8 Macro | 70-200mm f/4L | 24-105mm F/4L IS | 1.4x MKII TC |Sigma 10-20mm

riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 29, 2009 04:11 as a reply to  @ adblink's post |  #49

Very welcome - glad you found it useful

Good luck with finding a retailer!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

Nevilleblack
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 23, 2009 09:54 |  #50

I watched a interview with a Kata rep on youtube where she explains that you can use the bag (when in slingshot mode) to place your elbows on it while shooting. In turn this acts as a stabilizer and you dont need a monopod.
I take that with a grain of salt, but I could see it helping. Has anybody tried this with good results?

"And thats the kind of day it's been..." - Lloyd Robertson

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 23, 2009 10:11 |  #51

It helps pending what's in the bag. I did that once as a joke with the slingshot. I could it helping, but like i said, depends on what's in the bag. The Kata is much more solid than the Slingshot so that may help. It would help at night if you're going just a bit too slow but nothing significant.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Nevilleblack
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 01, 2009 15:46 |  #52

So this bag doesnt come with a tripod holder huh?
Where can you pick them up and whats the name I would search for?
Kata tripod pouch?

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 01, 2009 16:09 |  #53

http://www.bogenimagin​gstore.us …-Tripod-Holder-for/Detail (external link)

B&H also sells it but they were asking $50 ( :D ) for it. For $20 it's a steal.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

Nevilleblack
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 02, 2009 07:12 |  #54

Im surprised its not included with a bag of this quality. I love this bag but not having a tripod holder included is beyond me.

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 02, 2009 17:07 |  #55

It'd be nice, but there's also something to be said for not having every single option which would raise the price.

Anyway, for $20 it was worth it for me.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 09, 2009 13:45 |  #56

B&H used to include it with the bags... not sure why it doesn't seem to be included anymore. :(

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

Nevilleblack
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 10, 2009 06:29 |  #57

I noticed that. Ill just have to buy it seperately then I suppose.
Too bad they didnt make a model which also fit a laptop.

Nevilleblack
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 31, 2009 16:10 |  #58

Just got mine the other day and love it. It holds all my gear and my MSI Wind mini laptop (where the lunch is suppose to go). Sorry but I would never mix food and gear heheh.
Anyways second time taking it out I had to use the rain pack cause it poured. It worked well. The only issue I had was that water was still able to creep a little down by the straps since the cover doesnt go all the way over the straps. Still, everything was dry as a bone.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

adblink
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined May 2007

May 31, 2009 17:19 |  #59

took mine to Europe for 2.5 weeks, just got back last week-ish and loved it. Very handy.

|Canon 40D + BG-E2N | 580EXII | 430EX | Phottix Atlas Triggers
|100mm F/2.8 Macro | 70-200mm f/4L | 24-105mm F/4L IS | 1.4x MKII TC |Sigma 10-20mm

Happybrandon
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 01, 2009 15:45 as a reply to  @ adblink's post |  #60

Thanks for the review as it helped me significantly while looking for the right bag for me.

That said, I have been using a 3n1 20 for about three weeks now and love it as well. It has great storage with convenient access, is comfortable to carry without standing out as an obvious "camera bag" and works great as a platform to stabilize a shot or change a lens. All in all a fantastic bag.

sponsored links

48,710 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kata 3n1 review PLUS comparison with Slingshot 300 with pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.