Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 28 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 11:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

curious question about people posting replys.

Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 28, 2009 11:01 |  #1

I have noticed here that there seem to be a lot of posts in threads that people make that say the exact same thing as someone before them, as though they never read past the initial post. I could understand this in a super-long thread, or two people posting the same thing at the same time, but this is not the case. I'm talking posts made one well after another, but often in a thread that only has 10 replies or so.

It makes me wonder if some people are browsing the forum in such a way that they aren't seeing the entire thread, like maybe on a PDA or their phone or something. Are there circumstances that people encounter where they only see the original post? It sure seems that way. I just don't understand when people repost the same, easy to understand information that has already been posted. Or when the original poster will answer someones question, only to have the same question asked again and again. Do people just ignore the entire thread?

Canon XTi, 18-55mm kit IS and non, 10-22mm, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 580EX
Sigma SD14, 18-125mm DG, 20-40mm f/2.8 EX

sponsored links
Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 28, 2009 11:06 |  #2

Some of all of the above. Some people just reply straight away without reading the thread through. Some people want to express their own point of view regardless of what's gone before. Some people want to look intelligent.

Sometimes, however, the OP hasn't been clear in their needs, or is ambguous in asking and it can take a little time to get the answer across so that the OP fully understands.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 28, 2009 11:18 |  #3

if only one person responded then how much would you trust that response? Its kinda like a "vote system" on forums like that...

contrary to popular belief, not everything posted on the internet is true !!!!

now that you have recovered from the shock of learning that (just kidding) just think about it for a second. If you ask 6 different photography buffs a question you will get at least 10 different answers depending on the time of day and the day of the month and their interpretation of the Mayan calendar!

your best bet is to get as many people to weigh in on the subject (and hopefully they can stick to the subject, but don't count on it) and then read them all and the ones that make the most sense and probably have the most in common and you go with that...

now if your a cynic like myself, you believe the most negative and paranoid ones...lol

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

Toeslider
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 28, 2009 11:58 |  #4

I understand getting different peoples points of view, but I'm talking about really simple stuff, like someone asking "did you have image stabilization on?", OP: (quoting question) "no, it was turned off". 4 posts later, on the same page: "Did you have image stabilization turned on?" OP: (quoting the new question and the old one) "As I said, image stabilization was off." 10 minutes later: "Try turning your image stabilization off".

I was just wondering if there was some circumstance that might prevent people replying from seeing the other responses. It just seems weird how people will ask the same questions that were just asked.

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 28, 2009 12:13 |  #5

yeah, its a fact of life, we as humans are too lazy to read everything after doing these boards for a while..

I personally would rather have a bunch of the same answers to sift through then just one I wold have to trust... and sometimes I need to be told something more then once to get it to sink into my think head...

Message boards are no more perfect then real life...

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 28, 2009 12:20 |  #6

Pete wrote in post #7205505 (external link)
Some of all of the above. Some people just reply straight away without reading the thread through. Some people want to express their own point of view regardless of what's gone before. Some people want to look intelligent.

Sometimes, however, the OP hasn't been clear in their needs, or is ambguous in asking and it can take a little time to get the answer across so that the OP fully understands.

And some times multiple people click on reply at the same time and don't see the other responses until they hit submit.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Mike ­ McCusker
650 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 28, 2009 12:24 |  #7

tommykjensen wrote in post #7205945 (external link)
And some times multiple people click on reply at the same time and don't see the other responses until they hit submit.

This happens quite frequently.

20D with grip, 50D,Canon 50mm 1.8II,Canon 18-55,Canon EF 24-105mm IS, Canon 70-200 2,8L, Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 580EX, 430EX, ST-E2

No one goes through life undefeated!

Rachel ­ B
I normally pay attention
1,139 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 28, 2009 12:26 |  #8

I will often add my opinion even if its the same as someone elses

40d, 30d, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, 60mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, 18-55 Kit, 430exII 2xYN-460 II Flashes

Mike ­ Bell
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 30, 2009 13:55 as a reply to  @ Rachel B's post |  #9

We have the same problem on another forum that I am an admin on. :( The trouble is ..... when it comes to not reading the whole thread, the main culprit is another one of the admins! :twisted:

Canon EOS 5DS R EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 28mm f/1.8 USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM TS-E 17mm f/4L TS-E 45mm f/2.8 TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,653 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 30, 2009 23:34 |  #10

Admins only read the first post... ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

gsmith1
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 02, 2009 08:49 |  #11

I always post my opinion regardless of what anyone else says above me. I tend to only post positive feedback as I dont like crashing threads and im only here to look at the photography, its a hobby I have had for years, I dont like taking the photos, just looking at others work

Toeslider
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 02, 2009 09:15 |  #12

gsmith1 wrote in post #7237210 (external link)
I always post my opinion regardless of what anyone else says above me. I tend to only post positive feedback as I dont like crashing threads and im only here to look at the photography, its a hobby I have had for years, I dont like taking the photos, just looking at others work

I'm not talking about opinions though, I understand that and I know that it is helpful to get multiple opinions even if they are the same. What I am talking about are cut and dry questions that are answered, then somebody else asks the same question, obviously disregarding the rest of the thread. I understand when it happens in a 75 page thread, but I see it happen in threads with only a few replies. That's why I was wondering if it is ever the case that someone can see the original post but not the replies.

It would be like if someone asked me if I liked chocolate ice cream, and I replied yes, then three posts later someone else says "do you like chocolate ice cream?" It just seems like a dumb thing to do when the answer has already been given.

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 02, 2009 09:54 as a reply to  @ post 7237344 |  #13

Mike Bell wrote in post #7221349 (external link)
We have the same problem on another forum that I am an admin on. :( The trouble is ..... when it comes to not reading the whole thread, the main culprit is another one of the admins! :twisted:

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #7224386 (external link)
Admins only read the first post... ;)

I didn't read that. It wasn't the first postl;)

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 02, 2009 11:12 |  #14

Pete wrote in post #7205505 (external link)

+1000

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 02, 2009 11:13 |  #15

Belmondo regarding the question above your avatar it's a bassoon not a buffoon

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links

1,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
curious question about people posting replys.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.