Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 01 Feb 2009 (Sunday) 19:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bugling Elk - C&C Appreciated!

tkoutdoor
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 01, 2009 19:48 |  #1

Bugling Roosevelt Elk pic made in Fall 2007 and finally my growing PP skills are beginning to do it justice.

C&C Appreciated!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon ~ 7D, 1D MkIIn, 5D, 20D, 10D, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 135mm f2L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.5 macro, Ext. tubes, TC's 1.4 & 2.0, Feisol 3441-S CF Tpod, Gitzo Traveler Mpod, Acratech ballhead, 550EX, 200EG bag, Epson Pro 3800 printer.

sponsored links
Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 01, 2009 20:28 |  #2

Great shot. Did you have to crop pretty heavy? It looks pretty good to me. My screen is uncalibrated but the greens look a little too green. Almost neon on my screen, but see what others say.

Looks like the bull in the background might even be bigger!

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

Beefman
80 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2009 21:33 as a reply to  @ Laramie's post |  #3

Nice capture...too bad it wasn't a little colder, to get the breath vapour ( I love those shots).

The greens do look a little overpowering, but it might just be the effect from your green border.

Canon EOS Rebel XSi w Grip: 18-55mm IS/ 75-300mm USM

tkoutdoor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 01, 2009 21:44 |  #4

cowboylife wrote in post #7235318 (external link)
Great shot. Did you have to crop pretty heavy? It looks pretty good to me. My screen is uncalibrated but the greens look a little too green. Almost neon on my screen, but see what others say.

Looks like the bull in the background might even be bigger!

No, I didn't have to crop very much. I might have cropped away 20% of the original. There's a bit missing off of the right side and a little off the top and bottom. I changed the ratio from 4/6 to 4/5 for 8x10 as that's what seemed to work. What was on the right wasn't helping much.

If your screen is uncalibrated and it's one of those wide gamut monitors it very well could be your monitor, but I'll listen in to what others are saying as well. One of my co-workers has one of those and it wreaks havoc on all colors from just about every photo I see on her screen. She doesn't even know. Ignorance is bliss! It would drive me nuts! 8-)

Beefman wrote in post #7235654 (external link)
Nice capture...too bad it wasn't a little colder, to get the breath vapour ( I love those shots).

The greens do look a little overpowering, but it might just be the effect from your green border.

I love the breath vapor too and I'm always happy when I get shots like that. I've thought about trying to clone some in from some shots I got this year. The thing about the breath vapor so far that I've seen (not super cold temps though) was that the breath vapor comes out at the time in the action sequence when the bulls have already begun to relax from the most photogenic part of the stance. I don't know if I just need colder temps so that every bit of breath makes them look like a steam engine or if I just have to put up with the timing I can get. :D

Is it the foreground green (in the grass) in particular that's getting your attention?

Canon ~ 7D, 1D MkIIn, 5D, 20D, 10D, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 135mm f2L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.5 macro, Ext. tubes, TC's 1.4 & 2.0, Feisol 3441-S CF Tpod, Gitzo Traveler Mpod, Acratech ballhead, 550EX, 200EG bag, Epson Pro 3800 printer.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,198 posts
Gallery: 182 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 02, 2009 01:33 |  #5

Hello, TK
Yes, it's especially the foreground (but the background too, to a lesser extent). It appears that the color saturation was cranked up in PP. Just too vibrant & intense - it looks a bit surreal. If you could bring the saturation down to a more realistic level it would help. And then if you could isolate the highlights and reduce the brightness on them it would help immensely. Glare off of foreground weeds is always a terrible challenge to have to overcome. A polarizer would actually have helped quite a bit with that glare.
-Tom

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tkoutdoor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 02, 2009 02:02 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #7236123 (external link)
Hello, TK
Yes, it's especially the foreground (but the background too, to a lesser extent). It appears that the color saturation was cranked up in PP. Just too vibrant & intense - it looks a bit surreal. If you could bring the saturation down to a more realistic level it would help. And then if you could isolate the highlights and reduce the brightness on them it would help immensely. Glare off of foreground weeds is always a terrible challenge to have to overcome. A polarizer would actually have helped quite a bit with that glare.
-Tom

I haven't done "saturation" in the "conventional" sense to this, but I can dial back what I did a little bit or desaturate local areas. I used curves in LAB mode (AB specifically) to make it vibrant. I'll dial it back a little bit and see where I end up.

The sky was overcast so there was no glare so to speak. It made for even exposure and bland colors. But the colors responded well to processing since they weren't too hot. It can be hard to expose the rump patch and the dark parts of the elk together in the same photo sometimes. Same with the foreground weeds when the sun is on them, they can be tough when conditions are bad. I may have strayed with my dodge brush in some of the foreground. I can always burn in a little bit.

I've not found a polarizer that I like yet. I've used two different kinds and when I've tested them against the shine on the surface of a lake I found that the effect was really uneven, inconsistent, and effected only a minority of the image at full effect (maybe 30%). I could actually watch the effect happen as I rotated the polarizer and it wasn't happening in a very large area. I thought I was seeing similar results without knowing for sure until that test (due to the blotchiness of the color in the overall frame). Maybe somehow I'll get to try one that covers a majority of the view instead of a small area and I'll like it better. If such a thing even exists. They always seem to whack out my colors and make me regret using them. :confused:

I'll put up a revised image tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the comments so far.

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 02, 2009 02:06 |  #7

Awesome job! One thing I noticed:

The greens are too amped up.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

tkoutdoor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 02, 2009 02:24 |  #8

Mike55 wrote in post #7236226 (external link)
Awesome job! One thing I noticed:

The greens are too amped up.

Thanks for the input! It's unanimous then. I'll put up a revised version tomorrow sometime after I've had a chance to touch it up.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,830 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 02, 2009 02:24 as a reply to  @ Mike55's post |  #9

The photo is fabulous...what a great moment to capture!

The colors are over-powering tho.... hope you don't mind that I cropped out a lot of the foreground and toned down the rest.

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

tkoutdoor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 02, 2009 10:37 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #10

Thanks for the edit! Image editing okay, always looking for improvements.

Here's a revision. I think I may work more on the grass in the foreground and/or recrop a little. How does it seem to you all? Any comments appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,198 posts
Gallery: 182 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 02, 2009 15:17 |  #11

Hello again, TK!
This revised version you did is better. I really like what Maureen did, too. Cutting out all that foreground grass is helpful. You've toned down the color here, which helps alot. It's more realistic/natural this way.
-Tom

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 02, 2009 15:23 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #12

Great capture.bit I would tend to lose the green frame..more attention to the massive beast!;)

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Lesmac
Goldmember
1,829 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 02, 2009 16:49 |  #13

With the edited version it works well enough, but that frame jars, I'd definitely get rid of it.

Canon 1DS MKIII,7D, 85 1.2L, 24 F1.4L, 135 F2L, 200mm F2.8L,50mm F1.4, 120-300 F2.8, 12-24mm f 4.5
http://www.lesmclean.c​o.uk/ (external link)
Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga

Momtothefurmonsters
Goldmember
2,051 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 02, 2009 17:27 |  #14

The grass out front is still a bit overpowering, but I love the elk itself.

Mom to the furmonsters:p

Digital Rebel XTi

tkoutdoor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 02, 2009 18:35 |  #15

Flo wrote in post #7239381 (external link)
Great capture.bit I would tend to lose the green frame..more attention to the massive beast!;)

LOL! You got that right. When I started shooting these guys over the last couple years and started looking at the animals close up and their behavior I realized that the "Bambi-esque" mentality that one might assign to them (being somewhat like a deer) is far from reality. "Beast" was exactly the word that kept running through my mind. For example... You may notice that bull is urinating... That's what they do when they get excited about the rut etc. and are warning (bugling and posturing) the other bulls. They'll also rake up the ground with their antlers (with very little effort) while urinating all over themselves and the bare dirt patch they're creating and then roll in it to get the smell on them and the coloration of the mud. A lot of the black underbelly and front is wet from doing that and it picks up grime etc. when their hide is wet. "Beast" is definitely the right word.

As far as the frame goes I'm interested in showing my work with a frame so that people can get an idea what it will look like on the wall and also so that it sets the photo off from the background on the typical display page. If the background is white without a border to me it seems to distract from the photo so I like to try to separate the photo from the BG. I'm not stuck on the green. I'm trying some frame actions for the first time and it's what came up by default (I presume based on the green in the photo). I'll try some of the more logical neutral colors like black and white and see what I end up with. I think it would help a lot if the white border were just a stroke (even if the mat were green). As it is I think it draws too much attention away from the photo due to the contrast difference. I'll try some other colors/styles and see what happens. I'd appreciate any input or examples on framing for the web, colors, etc. as that's new to me. It's something I'm just getting into now as I'm ready to start putting borders into use. Know of any good border tutorials or actions? I'm trying to find some and have found a few.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll keep going until it hits the spot and post up again. Any other comments are appreciated as well.

sponsored links

1,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bugling Elk - C&C Appreciated!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.