Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Feb 2009 (Monday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II Focus Screens

Detrimental
303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 02, 2009 21:09 |  #1

So I was reading a post about getting dust out of your viewfinder (mine got some small hairs) and the op mentioned his mistake of scratching the filter and I laughed because I knew how careful you have to be when handling the focus screens....or so I thought. Right as I was handling my focus screen after blowing out the camera I slipped and my nail scratched it. :cool:

So then I get the bright idea that maybe I didn't scratch it but just got some nail residue on it and proceeded to wipe it off with a lens cloth and it smears the whole thing.....:lol:

So now I have my 5D II and an unusable focus screen with no spares and I remember...I still have my old 5D focus screens. I get them out and alas they don't fit. I take a closer look as to why and it appears the only difference between the 5D and 5D II screens is two small tabs on the left and right side. So I cut the tabs off carefully with scissors and I now have a 5D focus screen in my 5D II to use until I get another one. It looks like they designed them purposely to be incompatible even though they are almost identical.

Just thought I would share my experience. Watch those finger nails.

5D Mark II w/grip
85L f/1.2 II

dfek
74 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 08, 2009 22:09 |  #2

Have you noticed any difference in the lightness or darkness of the view finder with the 5D screen. I know that Canon has said that even the Eg-S screen for the 5D2 can appear darker when using lenses slower than f2.8.

BK_Grand_Marquis
36 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2009 22:32 |  #3

dfek wrote in post #7284643 (external link)
Have you noticed any difference in the lightness or darkness of the view finder with the 5D screen. I know that Canon has said that even the Eg-S screen for the 5D2 can appear darker when using lenses slower than f2.8.

I just got the S screen and I have a 16-35 2.8L II and I thought the viewfinder looked darker than my friend's 50D. I was wondering what it was. Now I know.

5D Mark III:D
5D Mark II - 5D Mark I
Speedlite 580 IIx2
16-35mm II 2.8L USM - 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM Mk II - 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM - 50mm 1.2L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II Focus Screens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.