Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 12:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kata 3n1-30

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 04, 2009 12:44 |  #1

I've been looking for a sling/backpack that doesn't suck for a long time now. Let me just say that I'm VERY picky about my bags... so any little issue will get mentioned/bitched about where most people would just deal with it. But anyway, here's how I've stuffed it:

IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0011-labels.jpg
note that if you're going to shoot like this, it'd be best to take that top compartment, convert it to one spot big enough for the 100-400 and go with just one lens up there. This way if you swap out the 100-400 you don't have to keep swapping back to store the camera...

this is how you'd open it if using as a sling (unclip then just pull the top left corner in this pick and it VERY QUICKLY opens as shown:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0009.jpg

unclip the bottom clip and unzip more for more access (you wouldn't do this while on your back):
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0010.jpg

keep going and you're to where the first shot was:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0011.jpg

here's the top compartment:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0013.jpg
notice it's got a rainfly and memory card holder in there. There's a small mesh compartment there as well as 2 side pockets. Lots of room for small things non photo related or even more lenses/gear.

the straps (notice the 2 red ones? That's to show you how to hook up the sling [red to red]. Backpack is as shown, you can sling either way, or you can criss cross [IBjumpjump], also notice how nicely the hip straps stuff/tuck away, the other straps if going with one sling also hide very well):
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0012.jpg

here's the back of the bag zipped up:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0007.jpg

here's my first issue:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0008.jpg

that's a closeup of one of the clips at the corner. You unclip one of those and pull to do the quick access sling deal which works very well. But see how they stitched OVER the zipper? not sure WHY they did it, but with it like that you can't fully open the entire back of the backpack one the ground (say to fully load it the first time and position dividers....). It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit curious. Obviously they don't want you to zip past the clip for whatever reason. One zipper with this stopper is more cost effective than stitching in 2 zippers, so that's why, but why shouldn't I be able to put my zippers wherever I want (if you go past here it makes it much more time consuming to open this flap).

also, check out this youtube clip as it really clears up how the quick access functions:
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/wat​ch?v=SZC6e7gSCKc[/YOUT​UBE] (external link)

the girl in this one is hotter (the other one has a dude) but she talks way too much and doesn't show as much:
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/wat​ch?v=rI9ww1cSeSw[/YOUT​UBE] (external link)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 04, 2009 20:10 |  #2

The reason they stopped the zipper from going all the way around is for the quick release. When you unclip you just pull and the flap opens up. If the zippers closed fully you'd have to pull them a bit first to get them started.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 04, 2009 20:54 as a reply to  @ dan j's post |  #3

right, I know this. But with the stitching there you can't fully open the bag. With out it there it'd be my own fault that it didn't open quickly, not the design of the bag. Also, if it was a Velcro flap type stopper you could move it when you want to open it all the way.

Overall it's a pretty well thought out bag, I just don't like when someone designs something like this for the idiots that can't figure it out and handicap it for those of us who can.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

scoril0
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 05, 2009 09:19 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #4

I have this bag and I like it very much.

The top compartment is roomy enough to hold two speedlights, batteries, a (small) charger and some more small junk.

Very comfortable to wear as a backpack, quick to change to sling bag mode.

davo1979
232 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 06, 2009 16:10 |  #5

I have this bag also. Love it so far. Only gripe I had was setting up the compartments. Couldn't decide how to have them lol. Paid £70.00 for this and through a mistake from the selling company got one bag free !! all boxed up unopened and ready to sell. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see of they ask for it back so will be selling if not.

Canon 40D Canon 7D Gripped...Canon 70-200 F4 L...Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM...Canon 50mm F1.8 MK II...Canon 430EX II... Lowpro Flipside 400 AW

http://picasaweb.googl​e.co.uk/cdavo1979 (external link)

Rey
571 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 06, 2009 17:18 |  #6

davo1979 wrote in post #9146360 (external link)
I have this bag also. Love it so far. Only gripe I had was setting up the compartments. Couldn't decide how to have them lol. Paid £70.00 for this and through a mistake from the selling company got one bag free !! all boxed up unopened and ready to sell. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see of they ask for it back so will be selling if not.

Why wait for them to ask for it back? Why not just send if back to them now instead of selling it?

Canon 5D MKII • BG-E6 • Canon EOS-M • Canon 85mm F1.2L II USM • Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM • Canon 16-35mm F2.8L II USM • Canon 24-70mm F2.8L USM • Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM • Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART • Canon Speedlight 600 EX-RT • Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Canon Speedlite 430EX II • Gitzo 3530 • Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR

13inches
389 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2009 13:13 |  #7

I have to say, I've owned my 3n1-30 for about a year now and I'm not all that happy with it. Gripes:

1) Accesssing the upper part of the lower compartment is impossible (refer to the area where the OP has 50mm, 15mm and 135mm lenses stored).
2) It's too big to be used as a sling bag. I like the idea of the 3n1 system but when fully loaded this bag is just too bulky for sling usage. I admit, I paid for a gimmick that I didn't use.
3) The lower compartment isn't wide enough. I constantly get interference with hoods and lens caps trying to fit my big lenses in there (24-70, 70-200 2.8, usually one of which is mounted to the body). I prefer to leave the upper compartment for batteries, paperwork, wallet, memory etc so I do not want to store a lens or flash up there.
4) There's no quick/easy way to get the camera and the strap in. I always have to spend some extra time finding a way to make the strap fit nicely. And this is with the soft OEM Canon strap. I'd hate to try with a more rigid, padded strap.

In the end, I think I need a fullsize backpack (like the LP PhotoTrekker).

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 30, 2009 13:58 |  #8

13inches wrote in post #9290597 (external link)
1) Accesssing the upper part of the lower compartment is impossible (refer to the area where the OP has 50mm, 15mm and 135mm lenses stored).

You're not alone; other reviewers have come to the same conclusion. I agree that this is one of the biggest downsides to this bag and one of the reasons I decided not to get it.

2) It's too big to be used as a sling bag. I like the idea of the 3n1 system but when fully loaded this bag is just too bulky for sling usage. I admit, I paid for a gimmick that I didn't use.

This is why I bought the Lowepro Slingshot 200 instead of the larger 300 model when I was looking for a slingshot type bag. Even the 200, when stuffed to the brim, tends to weigh down on my shoulder when carried for extended periods of time.

The slingshot concept works very well, but only up to a certain size. All my larger bags are full blown back packs with padded waist belts to offload the bulk of the load to where you can most comfortably carry it. These bags also have an additional strap to keep the shoulder straps together. Without this, I constantly find myself readjusting them because they keep slipping from my shoulders.

Roy

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 30, 2009 18:15 |  #9

jacobsen1 wrote in post #7256506 (external link)
right, I know this. But with the stitching there you can't fully open the bag. With out it there it'd be my own fault that it didn't open quickly, not the design of the bag. Also, if it was a Velcro flap type stopper you could move it when you want to open it all the way.

it drove me nuts as well so i just cut it so i could zipper it all the way

i own way to much crap to list it all here and try to keep it up to date

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 31, 2009 00:54 |  #10

rvdw98 wrote in post #9290853 (external link)

You're not alone; other reviewers have come to the same conclusion. I agree that this is one of the biggest downsides to this bag and one of the reasons I decided not to get it.

i only have 3 lenses right now, so i wouldn't be using that upper part for lens storage. i'd probably put 1 lens up there, but no more. it is perfect, however, for both my 580exii and rocket blower. if i ever get a 70-200, that's where i'd put it.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

GopherM
227 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 19, 2012 12:08 |  #11

jacobsen1 wrote in post #7253341 (external link)
here's my first issue:
QUOTED IMAGE

that's a closeup of one of the clips at the corner. You unclip one of those and pull to do the quick access sling deal which works very well. But see how they stitched OVER the zipper? not sure WHY they did it, but with it like that you can't fully open the entire back of the backpack one the ground (say to fully load it the first time and position dividers....). It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit curious. Obviously they don't want you to zip past the clip for whatever reason. One zipper with this stopper is more cost effective than stitching in 2 zippers, so that's why, but why shouldn't I be able to put my zippers wherever I want (if you go past here it makes it much more time consuming to open this flap).

also, check out this youtube clip as it really clears up how the quick access functions:
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/wat​ch?v=SZC6e7gSCKc[/YOUT​UBE] (external link)

the girl in this one is hotter (the other one has a dude) but she talks way too much and doesn't show as much:
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/wat​ch?v=rI9ww1cSeSw[/YOUT​UBE] (external link)

I don't know if anyone is still following this 3 year old thread but I just received my 3N1-33 and they must have changed the design around those clips. None of the clips on my pack block any of the zippers unless they are clipped. Then they kind of work like bumper stops. If you want or need to you can lift up on the clip when it is connected and ease the zipper under it and fully open any section you desire.

Gripped T3i/Kit 18-55/ 55-250/Miranda Sensorex (film)/Miranda 50mm f1.4/Vivitar 135 f2.8/(Panasonic DMC FZ35 & FZ100/Yashicamat 124/Nikon N2020AF all sold to buy the T3i)

penduboy
308 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 05, 2012 15:57 |  #12

I bought Kata 3n1 33 and I am not happy with my purchase. I am planning to keep it at home to store most of my gears but looking for some medium size bag (I have Crumpler 7MDH) which I can carry for day to day shooting.

Thanks, Pendu

Pendu

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2012 19:26 |  #13

Penduboy, I don't suppose you could expand on why don't enjoy your 3n1 33?

I have been using mine daily as a general pack, carrying my T3 with a 50mm 1.8, plus my 70-200mm f4, and 17-55, which offers easy access to everything. In the lower compartment I also tossed in a gps unit, and a pile of other little tools. Upper compartment carries cables and a small netbook along with a few other random items, and the laptop compartment fits a large note book nicely.

I'm a decently large guy, and I find it fine as a sling bag, and easy enough to use. I would however not suggest this if you're carting around huge lenses all the time, as I think the strap would be a little narrow to carry excessive gear for too long. That said, I have loaded it up with decent weight, and it has proven comfortable for extended periods with the cross strap.

I'm not sure if the stitching around the lower buckle was changed on purpose, or if the early ones were a mistake, but mine isn't like the OP's. (Only purchased mine this year.)

As for flaws/improvement wishes. I'm really not a fan of the top. It has a handle like construction that is easy to grab, but puts far more weight on the zipper than I would like if you pick it up by this point. I would have liked to see a redesign to this, possibly a strap that would take the weight instead of the zipper.

I find that it is also a very warm pack to carry on your back. The design does kind of trap a lot of heat compared to other back packs that I have used.

The other issue I have with it is that I would have liked a few more hardpoints that I can attach stuff to on the outside. I'm really not sure what I will do for a water bottle this summer.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

13,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kata 3n1-30
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.