Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Bracket with 500mm

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 04, 2009 15:19 |  #1

Hi all, I have the strobo frame 350 quick flip bracket. I am wondering if this is a good bracket to use or if I should invest in the Wimberly f-1, f-9 or the Really Right Stuff B-91? I am going to be using with the wimberly head V2 and 500mm?

Thanks Brittany

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 04, 2009 16:05 |  #2

The F9 with an extension will get the flash up high where you want it to reduce the "red-eye" effect (or whatever color the subject you shoot with the 500 has). The F9 attaches to the Wimberley head so that the flash stays with the head when swapping lenses. The drawback with that is that if you want to handhold your 500 ( :shock: ) the flash won't come with it. :) (Although, come to think of it, if you do want to handhold your 500, you will be able to mount the F9 on foot of the tripod collar of the lens.)

...Leo

Bubble
Goldmember
3,382 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 04, 2009 16:08 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

B-91 will BARELY have enough clearance for it. I suggest to go with Wimberley.

Canon 5D II, 7D | 16-35L II | 24-70L | 24-105L | 50L | 85L II |  iMac 27 | Redrock Micro DSLR Cinema Bundle | Elinchrom Ranger RX-AS Kit| Elinchrom Digital Style 1200RX/600RX | Turbo SC |

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 15, 2009 11:51 |  #4

Still need some suggestions on a flash bracket for the 500mm. I am using the v2 wimberly head.
I am looking at the wimberly F1 and F9 bracket.
Anyone using the 500mm with flash bracket, please let me know what your using and how you like it.
Thanks in advance!

Brittany

scot079
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 15, 2009 11:57 |  #5

here's a pic(hi-quality:-)) of the f-9. Like Leo and Bubble said, it's the one you want.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i170.photobucke​t.com …cot079/jpeg_ree​ncoded.jpg (external link)

- Tim
www.timadkinsphoto.com (external link)
GEARandFEEDBACK

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 15, 2009 12:21 |  #6

Thanks Tim, I read this on Arthur Morris site :

F-9 Wimberley Head Flash Bracket
(for Wimberley Head Version II)
This bracket consists of modules M3 & M9. It attaches directly to the Arca-Swiss style dovetail on the swinging arm of the Wimberley Head Version II. Since it is attached to the head and not your lens, it remains in place when you switch lenses. The bracket folds flat for easy storage.

The F-9 bracket has been designed to clamp to both the swing arm of the V-2 Wimberley and to the plates so it can be used when working on the ground or from the car, but I still prefer the F-1 to the F-9 in these situations as it gives you more flexibility.

I would like more flexibility.

Brittany

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 15, 2009 16:03 |  #7

britt777 wrote in post #7330026 (external link)
Thanks Tim, I read this on Arthur Morris site :

F-9 Wimberley Head Flash Bracket
(for Wimberley Head Version II)
This bracket consists of modules M3 & M9. It attaches directly to the Arca-Swiss style dovetail on the swinging arm of the Wimberley Head Version II. Since it is attached to the head and not your lens, it remains in place when you switch lenses. The bracket folds flat for easy storage.

The F-9 bracket has been designed to clamp to both the swing arm of the V-2 Wimberley and to the plates so it can be used when working on the ground or from the car, but I still prefer the F-1 to the F-9 in these situations as it gives you more flexibility.

I would like more flexibility.

They're both equally flexible. It all depends on what type of flexibility you want. If you have an L-plate for your camera, the F-9 provides a little more flexibility than the F-1 does because the F-9 can be mounted on the L-plate and allow the use of any lens you have. The F-1, by itself, can only be mounted on the plate attached to the foot of a lens tripod collar so you won't be able to use the it with regular lenses unless you get the M-8 perpendicular plate ($85).

If you don't have an L-plate, then you'd need to get the M-2 upright ($44) for the F-9 but that's still cheaper than the M-8 that would be required for the F-1.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. The reason I like the F-9 so much is because the M-9 that comes with it is so flexible to use. Most clamps mount perpendicular to the plate. That's why the F-1, when mounted to the camera plate, requires the M-8 perpendicular plate to realign the F-1. The clamp on the M-9 can be pivoted so that you can mount it to a plate in parallel, or perpendicular to the plate, or at any angle in-between.

...Leo

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 15, 2009 19:05 |  #8

Thank you Leo for the info. Decisions decisions

Brittany

blackpearl
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 10, 2011 09:31 |  #9

looking to mount the 580ex to the 500mm f/4 so I can use it handheld...thoughts?

gear bag> 7d,canon ts2i, 500mm f/4L is usm, 100-400mm f/4-5.6L is usm, 70-200mm f/4L, 70-300 IS USM, 17-55 IS USM, 28-135mm, 500macro, singh ray and b+w filters,580 exII, Better Beamer, gitzo 2541 and 3541 tripods, beanbag, naturscapes skimmer pod, Lowepro mini trekker, Drake Pro camera bag, Gura Gear Kiboko Bag

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 10, 2011 09:58 |  #10

blackpearl wrote in post #11610287 (external link)
looking to mount the 580ex to the 500mm f/4 so I can use it handheld...thoughts?

What kind of plate are you using on the lens and on the camera? There are a few Wimberley and RRS options you can go with depending on what suits you best. I'm sure Kirk Enterprises also has a few flash brackets that'll all you to handhold your 500 f/4.

...Leo

sponsored links

4,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Bracket with 500mm
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.