Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next

Post your best FLAKE excuses =)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 01, 2012 14:28 |  #196

we had a nice one, after setting up the shoot, getting hair, MUA, fashion person hired she started not replying and eventually - 10 min after she was supposed to show up - she sent a message "sorry I did not reply, my cellphone got stolen".

Uh, well, that's too bad honey, but don't you have a computer? Friends? Internet cafe, ANY way to get online and get in touch? What, you live alone on some island?

Luckily we were able to get an other model to show up quickly and had a great session, but she won't be called back in....

You have something set up, you FIND a way to get in touch if you can't make it, simple as that. Unless you're dead or in a coma. Or on some remote island - I guess.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2002

May 03, 2012 15:12 |  #197

I had a shoot set up last week - rented the studio, had the props and lights all set up and had two models scheduled to come in sequentially - one at 2 pm and one at 7:30 pm. I talked to them both the night before to confirm and all was well.

At 2 pm, no model. Texted her, called her (voice mailbox was full), found her on Facebook and IM'd her. No response to anything. I called the other model and asked her if she could come earlier, but she couldn't, but did promise to show up on time.

Finally, at 7 pm I get a note from the 1st model saying that she had had 2nd thoughts about the shoot (we had shot twice before - nudes no less), and was embarrassed that she didn't communicate with me earler.

I had a great shoot with the 2nd model, but I still don't understand what the issue was with the no-show. She did write me to tell me she wanted to finish a different project we were working on.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Digigumbo
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 06, 2012 17:06 |  #198

I met a model through a fellow photographer and decided to set up a shoot with him. We set a time up that was around 8pm that night. I texted him at 6 asking if he needed directions. No reply. I texted him at 7pm asking if we were still on. Nothing. At 8pm I was pretty sure he was a no show. Checked FB through a friend, online and posting. Checked another site. He was online and chatting. My friend, the other photographer got in touch with him thru FB about 3 hrs later and his excuse was... My cell phone isn't mine. It's my mom's. He messages me and says Sorry. I gave my mom my cell. Then he says I have no car. Needless to say, that shoot never happened and now I'm only on an email basis with him LOL

charlesu
Goldmember
4,316 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 22, 2012 18:13 |  #199

TooManyHobbies wrote in post #12462081 (external link)
I think going out partying is the real number one excuse for all flakes - either they miss it by going or miss it by recouperating.

If they were honest. Party hard the night before. Suffer hangover the next day. Blow off shoot.

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.

eerfmaps
52 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 26, 2012 11:25 |  #200

Ledrak wrote in post #13041769 (external link)
Lord knows I've had more than my share of flakey models. But the worst was just recently when I actually had a model show up, and then flake AFTER she arrived.

She showed up and everything seemed fine. She sat through hair and makeup, and just as we were about to start the shoot, the makeup artist comes to me and says "we have a problem". Her excuse was that she didn't like the way her makeup was done, and wanted to remove it all so she could do her own makeup the way SHE wanted. Her makeup was perfect BTW. The makeup artist is one of the best around. She was just flaking.

I had the whole crew trying to reassure her that she looked great, etc. but to no avail. She then gave another BS excuse saying that she was tired and wanted to go home, and got up and walked right off the set. It's the first time that's ever happened to me on a shoot. We all stood around dumbfounded at what just took place. It still blows my mind when I think about it.

I know this post was from a long time ago, I just had to say... I wouldn't be surprised if she just wanted a free makeover for something else she wanted to go to. Of course it could also just be cold feet, but it is extra suspicious that she waited to walk out until after she was made up...

Slim ­ photography
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 11:35 as a reply to  @ eerfmaps's post |  #201

I had 3 models scheduled for the same day 12pm 2pm 4pm and when I called to confirm earlier in the day VERY surprising that they all had very similar flake excuses.

#1. I'm with my mom right now in the hospital and cant leave her side....:rolleyes:

#2. My mom just got out of surgery and wants me to be with her.... :rolleyes:

#3. I'm sick and have to go to the hospital...:rolleyes:

So what i did was go on model mayhem and post on my page that all of them flaked and posed their MM#. I was pretty frustrated being that I was setting up the new studio and preparing for a while wasting my time.

Name is Orlando Canon 550D Gripped |
5DmkII| Canon 50mm f/1.8| Sigma 50mm f/1.4 |Canon 70-200mm IS f/4L | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 |17-40mm f/4L|AB800| 430EX II | 86in PLM,22in HOBD
Facebook Fan Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

YdoUwant2know
30 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 25, 2012 23:25 |  #202

So funny story...

A few months ago I went to a group shoot that was being hosted in my area. It was a paid event, being hosted by a local photog billed as an opportunity to learn "How to work with Models"

Well there were about 20 photographers there for the class... but no models... They had booked 12... an hour after the event started, none of them had shown... The two guys running the class (one of which is now actually a good friend) were both stalling as much as they could as they started calling everyone and anyone they knew to get down there.

Two of the twelve models did eventually show... But of the 10 that did not:

5 were either in the hospital, or had a family member that were in the hospital.

3 had something wrong with there car (two accidents, and one stolen)

and the last two were ever even heard from.

I guess it was a bad day to be a model... ;)

Its not the size of your camera bag, its how you use it.

Bilsen
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 26, 2012 09:24 |  #203

YdoUwant2know wrote in post #14632156 (external link)
So funny story...

A few months ago I went to a group shoot that was being hosted in my area. It was a paid event, being hosted by a local photog billed as an opportunity to learn "How to work with Models"

Well there were about 20 photographers there for the class... but no models... They had booked 12... an hour after the event started, none of them had shown... The two guys running the class (one of which is now actually a good friend) were both stalling as much as they could as they started calling everyone and anyone they knew to get down there.

Two of the twelve models did eventually show... But of the 10 that did not:

5 were either in the hospital, or had a family member that were in the hospital.

3 had something wrong with there car (two accidents, and one stolen)

and the last two were ever even heard from.

I guess it was a bad day to be a model... ;)

Never had one this bad BUT it is the promoters' nightmare.

We did a paid shoot this past Saturday with 10 models booked. Out of the 10, 2 cancelled (although with 12 hours notice) and the promoter was NOT happy. Fortunately, most of the photographers are a regular group so noboby had a huge problem, but still.

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

charlesu
Goldmember
4,316 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jun 26, 2012 11:15 |  #204

Here's a good one.....

http://www.youtube.com …ujknrBuE&featur​e=youtu.be (external link)

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.

YdoUwant2know
30 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 26, 2012 22:28 |  #205

johngalt_ny wrote in post #14633684 (external link)
Never had one this bad BUT it is the promoters' nightmare.

We did a paid shoot this past Saturday with 10 models booked. Out of the 10, 2 cancelled (although with 12 hours notice) and the promoter was NOT happy. Fortunately, most of the photographers are a regular group so noboby had a huge problem, but still.

Yeah... both of they guys running the shoot tied to stay calm, but you could tell they were pretty unhappy. As were a lot of the people at the shoot.

In the end they offered discounts and refunds to those that wanted them, and held the studio open for another 2 hours past the scheduled time so that those that wanted to shoot with the two models could take turns and get some good shots. All and all it ended up being a good time, I got some decent shots, and made a few good contacts.

Its not the size of your camera bag, its how you use it.

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
3,253 posts
Gallery: 398 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 13, 2012 10:37 |  #206

has anyone set up a shoot and not booked a stylist/hair/mua/gofer and when the model showed up to an empty studio they were just told you had to go out of state/see your sick mom/deliver a baby as a revenge sort of thang ;)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2012 11:15 |  #207

bildeb0rg wrote in post #14852234 (external link)
has anyone set up a shoot and not booked a stylist/hair/mua/gofer and when the model showed up to an empty studio they were just told you had to go out of state/see your sick mom/deliver a baby as a revenge sort of thang ;)

No, that seems a bit petty, and I try to conduct myself as a professional.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 13, 2012 11:44 |  #208

Went to a beach a few years ago and found a couple models (or wannabe models) who were interested in doing shoots.

One told me a few hours after the scheduled shoot that she had to go to the hospital because she was making a shake and broke the blender and she got a deep cut or something from the blender glass shards? I was 50/50 on whether to believe her or not but I just told her that I was glad she was okay and maybe we can shoot the next time I'm in the area.

Thankfully, I had scheduled to work with 4 models and the other 3 models showed up.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

wto203
52 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 15, 2014 02:31 |  #209

This girl had contacted me for a non risky boudoir shoot (that I would be getting paid for) towards the latter end of November. Her schedule was pretty packed apparently and had to schedule the shoot out to the 3rd week of December. I had no problems with that, she asked about some photos I did during a hotel room shoot and liked them so thats where she wanted to shoot(hotel was on her dime since my price for her was lower than what I would normally charge). I told her the name and location of the hotel and even gave her a direct link to where she could book it. As the weeks go by I keep in contact with her via text just to see if she is still on board and she seemed excited but had not booked the room yet. Fast forward to 12/10 she texts me everything should be good she booked the room and nothing else.

On the days of 12/11 , 12/12 and 12/14 I text her once on each of those days to see how things are going and to confirm ETA and all that good stuff since she would be coming from 2 hours away to me. She has not responded to my last 3 text messages which were all spaced at least 24 hours apart and in the last case 48 hours apart. Seeing how it is currently 03:24 AM EST on 12/15 and the shoot was scheduled for 12/15 I'm considering this a flake. Considering the lack of communication in the last week I've gotten from this girl I'd really be surprised if I even get an excuse but if I do, rest assure I will post it.

I don't have anything else booked for this day but I really don't want to have to scramble if she texts me last minute with a "hey I'm on my way" but I also don't want to leave money on the table.

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.” - Alan Moore

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 15, 2014 08:49 |  #210

wto203 wrote in post #17333275 (external link)
This girl had contacted me for a non risky boudoir shoot (that I would be getting paid for) towards the latter end of November. Her schedule was pretty packed apparently and had to schedule the shoot out to the 3rd week of December. I had no problems with that, she asked about some photos I did during a hotel room shoot and liked them so thats where she wanted to shoot(hotel was on her dime since my price for her was lower than what I would normally charge). I told her the name and location of the hotel and even gave her a direct link to where she could book it. As the weeks go by I keep in contact with her via text just to see if she is still on board and she seemed excited but had not booked the room yet. Fast forward to 12/10 she texts me everything should be good she booked the room and nothing else.

On the days of 12/11 , 12/12 and 12/14 I text her once on each of those days to see how things are going and to confirm ETA and all that good stuff since she would be coming from 2 hours away to me. She has not responded to my last 3 text messages which were all spaced at least 24 hours apart and in the last case 48 hours apart. Seeing how it is currently 03:24 AM EST on 12/15 and the shoot was scheduled for 12/15 I'm considering this a flake. Considering the lack of communication in the last week I've gotten from this girl I'd really be surprised if I even get an excuse but if I do, rest assure I will post it.

I don't have anything else booked for this day but I really don't want to have to scramble if she texts me last minute with a "hey I'm on my way" but I also don't want to leave money on the table.

Retainers help with this. 50% to hold the date and time, I allow one reschedule no later then 48 hrs before the shoot, and require contact the day before a shoot or I consider it a cancellation. It has worked wonders with paying clients.

73,539 views & 1 like for this thread
Post your best FLAKE excuses =)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.