Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next

Post your best FLAKE excuses =)

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 17, 2014 11:27 as a reply to  @ post 17333558 |  #211

Yes, Sir.........When they have money to lose, things aren't the same as just flaking out :twisted:

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

Stelvio
165 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 18, 2014 10:03 |  #212

This is a great thread, it's not just me with a flake/fake-magnet on my head then?

I've only recently decided to start working with models and so far all bar one of my potential models have turned out to be either fake profiles or just plain flakes.

One sent me an email about a shoot - said she wanted to send me some pictures to see if I thought she was the right type. I told her I didn't need to see any more as the ones on her port would do (they are crap but she's pretty and tall too) but I did describe what I would like to shoot and sent her a couple of examples.

She's like "please please tell me what you want, I'll do anything you ask" a sends me a nude picture. I check the EXIF and it turns out the pic was taken with a 2006 P&S and is dated 2007 - I tell her that her profile says she's 20 years old but the picture is from 2007 making her theoretically 13 on the photo which she clearly isn't. I ask for a recent photo of her clothed - after a week I chase to see if she's still interested which at least she replies to with a no.

I just don't get it, it's not like she's flaking she has no intention of ever shooting, are these "models" actually guys or something or just attractive but insecure girls looking for some affirmation?

Another one from a different site has a dozen or so selfies and describes herself as a newcomer who would like to do nudes etc. So I check her twitter and it seems to add up so contact her about some headshots with a view to working together in the future - she accepts and sounds really excited but after a few pn's I start to get the vibe that she's a fake so I request ID or her phone number so we can meet or talk on the phone - not heard from since. A couple of days ago I check her profile and see she now wants to do softcore & hardcore shoots and has now also gained some experience, so for giggles I contact her again giving her time, date, location, hourly rate, etc but don't expect an answer lol

That said on a more professional site I'm in contact with a very attractive middle aged model regarding a boudoir shoot that won't flake so I'm learning  :p

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 19, 2014 02:02 |  #213

1. Got a call about an hour before the shoot. This is what she sent me, "My boyfriend came over last night and we drank too much and when he drinks too much he gets a little rougher than normal in bed. Needless to say I will have to cancel today as I am very sore down there."

2. Girl messages me about getting some bikini photos to celebrate her weight loss. We set a date and I get paid and book a studio. Ten minutes before the shoot in comes some guy (her boyfriend), tells me that she is not coming because "she isn't going to show herself off to some perv with a camera" and that he will be "taking her money back". I tell him that she approached me, that we had a signed contract and as he was not my client, that I had nothing further to say to him. He told me that I'd "regret this" and he left. Never heard from him and she called me days later apologizing. We ended up doing the shoot as she dumped him shortly after.

3. Had a model tell me shortly before a shoot that her boyfriend wanted to meet me beforehand to make sure I wasn't a pervert. The best part was I had to wait until he was off work and I had to go to him and this was to occur roughly 8 hours after the scheduled shoot.

Most of the excuses I've heard locally have to do with jealous boyfriends. I know a couple great models who quit because their boyfriends didn't want them doing photos anymore.

wto203
52 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 19, 2014 05:08 |  #214

the flying moose wrote in post #17340926 (external link)
1. Got a call about an hour before the shoot. This is what she sent me, "My boyfriend came over last night and we drank too much and when he drinks too much he gets a little rougher than normal in bed. Needless to say I will have to cancel today as I am very sore down there."

2. Girl messages me about getting some bikini photos to celebrate her weight loss. We set a date and I get paid and book a studio. Ten minutes before the shoot in comes some guy (her boyfriend), tells me that she is not coming because "she isn't going to show herself off to some perv with a camera" and that he will be "taking her money back". I tell him that she approached me, that we had a signed contract and as he was not my client, that I had nothing further to say to him. He told me that I'd "regret this" and he left. Never heard from him and she called me days later apologizing. We ended up doing the shoot as she dumped him shortly after.

3. Had a model tell me shortly before a shoot that her boyfriend wanted to meet me beforehand to make sure I wasn't a pervert. The best part was I had to wait until he was off work and I had to go to him and this was to occur roughly 8 hours after the scheduled shoot.

Most of the excuses I've heard locally have to do with jealous boyfriends. I know a couple great models who quit because their boyfriends didn't want them doing photos anymore.

Ironically these boyfriends probably circulate personal photos the girlfriends send them.

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.” - Alan Moore

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 19, 2014 14:52 |  #215

Years ago when I got my first DSLR I was interested in taking pictures of models. As a young guy in his late 20's I wanted to meet more hot girls. As I was learning I was able to find a lot of interest in TFP on Craiglist and shot a few girls. The lesson I learned that most of them (amateur or pro models) are flaky. Fast forward to last year. One of my friends has been trying to expand his portfolio by shooting some amateur models @ Meetup.com photography group. He wanted to try shooting some in a studio and decided to rent one for 3 hours. He asked me to help him with the shoot and one of the first things I asked how many models did he get. He only got one model for that shoot and I suggested that he gets another one as a backup. The shoot was supposed to start at 5pm and she showed up at 7:30pm with shoot ending at 8pm.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

wto203
52 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 17, 2015 12:23 |  #216

Back in December I scheduled a TFP shoot with a user on modelmayhem for 24 days later. The day before I shoot an email to confirm and and she says everything looks good. 14 hours before the scheduled time she messages me at 3 AM to cancel because she has to be at work overnight (the shoot was for the afternoon hour, but sure). We reschedule rather quickly and pick a later date. As usual I email to confirm and the day of I schlep to the agreed upon location with gear on tow. I give about a half hour before I finally bail. I message her to tell her hey I've been here for about half hour and I'm packing it up. I get a message while driving home that she was dealing with a utility problem at her flat and has to cancel. I kind of inferred the cancellation part after not seeing or hear from her for a half hour at the shoot location. She expressed interest in rescheduling and I cautiously ask about her schedule and have yet to hear back.

I guess I have a pretty good ratio. I've only had 1 paid shoot flake (no call, no show, no response) and 1 tfp user from modelmayhem flake on me. Also at least the excuses I got were original and not about a sick or ailing family member.

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.” - Alan Moore

fk6065
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2015 20:51 |  #217

Great thread.

Heard a lot of these excuses.

Some of my favorites that I have received;

I took cold medicine and can't drive because the car is too big.

I am stuck in a snow bank and can't get out.

I got a tattoo last night and it's infected.

Oh you wanted me to pay you???

My sister lost her dog and I have to help her look for it.

I'm a diabetic.

paintedlotus
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 03, 2015 02:52 |  #218

All of the flakes I've dealt with have actually been makeup artists. I have a couple reliable ones and that's great, but would like to expand my pool of contacts and sometimes they aren't available when I'd like.

--One was really interested in an editorial concept set for a specific date 4 to 5 weeks out, then told me about a day or two before that she "may or may not" have a paid gig that day so I should "probably get a backup in case". I have not heard from her again.

--One texted me at 12:30am for an 11am shoot the next day saying she had picked up a paid gig and "had meant to let me know a few hours ago but spaced. Hope you can find someone else". Riiiiight.

--One called me 10 minutes after she was supposed to arrive saying that she had just been in a car accident and was "sooo sorry" she wouldn't be able to make it because she "really wanted to do this shoot". She was very sad later when that editorial was featured in an issue of Dark Beauty which she particularly wanted to get into. The car accident was possible I suppose.

--Even one of my reliables has cancelled at the last minute, twice, due to personal problems.

Maybe I should just be happy they're not full-on no-shows.

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

wto203
52 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 05, 2015 16:55 |  #219

paintedlotus wrote in post #17413006 (external link)
All of the flakes I've dealt with have actually been makeup artists. I have a couple reliable ones and that's great, but would like to expand my pool of contacts and sometimes they aren't available when I'd like.

--One was really interested in an editorial concept set for a specific date 4 to 5 weeks out, then told me about a day or two before that she "may or may not" have a paid gig that day so I should "probably get a backup in case". I have not heard from her again.

--One texted me at 12:30am for an 11am shoot the next day saying she had picked up a paid gig and "had meant to let me know a few hours ago but spaced. Hope you can find someone else". Riiiiight.

--One called me 10 minutes after she was supposed to arrive saying that she had just been in a car accident and was "sooo sorry" she wouldn't be able to make it because she "really wanted to do this shoot". She was very sad later when that editorial was featured in an issue of Dark Beauty which she particularly wanted to get into. The car accident was possible I suppose.

--Even one of my reliables has cancelled at the last minute, twice, due to personal problems.

Maybe I should just be happy they're not full-on no-shows.

I honestly don't mind a a legit cancellation, things happen I get that. But lame excuses less than 12 hours before the scheduled time to shoot always set off my BS meter. I'd honestly accept "hey I changed my mind and don't want to shoot anymore." Honesty to me is always preferred.

73,728 views & 1 like for this thread
Post your best FLAKE excuses =)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.