Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next

Post your best FLAKE excuses =)

HSK
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 16, 2009 20:16 |  #31

some of these make me lol very much.

honesty is the best policy me thinks.

derky82
667 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 26, 2009 07:19 |  #32

haha these are awesome, give us more!!!

lol

Not sure what to do with this space yet... but in the meantime, here's my Little Bitty Gear List:lol:

Oh, and here is my flickr (external link) if anyone is interested! And my very INACTIVE Model Mayhem (external link)

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2009 07:35 |  #33

charlesu wrote in post #7340194 (external link)
Probably so. And I left out a major excuse for not showing up. I will place it in quotes below.

".............."

I just got flaked again! 2 more in just the last week. Their MM port talked about how serious they were and professional!

We should setup a thread listing MM#s and what happened. Then people could search the thread for model feedback.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 04, 2009 16:13 |  #34

Got flaked by a MUA but her excuse was real. Her furnace was leaking carbon monoxide, she fell asleep feeling sick. I called her no answer. She called me 20 minutes after the shoot was to start cancelling stating she planned on calling or coming but fell asleep and was too sick. Later she found out she had carbon monoxide poisoning and almost died.

If she would have come to the shoot she would have been fine.

~ Jeff

JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

4honor
30 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 20, 2009 15:34 |  #35

Oh boy, these are very funny, because I have personally experienced them myself... :(

Here is one that hasn't got listed here, 3 days before the shoot:

"Oh, I forgot I have to go to NYC this weekend (to see a friend), can't make it"

First of all, we live in Missouri, so she had to travel by plane. For me, traveling to NY or buying a plane ticket is pretty important, and I would plan them way ahead of time, how does one FORGET something like that?!

Oh, I think we should trade names/MM numbers to save everyone's time...

Gripped 5D Mark II - Gripped XSi - EF-S 18-55mm IS - 50/1.8 II - 16-35L - 24-70L - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 100L IS Macro - 135L - 580Ex II

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 21, 2009 07:46 |  #36

Ok, I don't mean to hog the show, but I got flaked again yesturday. I should have know better because it happened before but she used an excuse and sob story so I re-booked her. It was going to be a 12 bodypaint before we shoot. She contacted me about doing this, but a week before the shoot she didn't want to be topless. She wanted pasties. My bodypainter wouldn't spend 12 hours for someone with pasties. I said I could edit her nipples out in PS but putting pasties on would prevent me from editing and it looking real. She was ok with that, but then never responded to any communications after that and we needed to lock down the time and confirm some other preparations.

~ Jeff

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,360 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 23, 2009 11:46 |  #37

had one over the weekend; we'd been communicating at least a month before, up until 1 week prior. Then she dropped off. Heard from her at 10:30 am, the morning of the shoot that should have started at 9:30 for makeup. She was in the hospital. She's very apologetic, and has been sincere all the way, so I told her she gets one more shot.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 23, 2009 11:55 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

How about an arctic tale?
-18C today, and that's at 9 am this morning

model: "It's too cold"
me:'We're inside a building though...'
model:"I know but do you have heat? It's really cold out"
'me:It's got heat....'
model:"Okay...well...I don't want to start my car, and it's really cold out, how about you come here?"
me:'...'
model:"Can we reschedule?"
'me:Erm okay, when is good for you?'
model:"In the spring?"
me:'This is spring'
model:"Summer?"
me:'Er..Right...okay then....'
model: "Thanks!"

This isn't so much a flake excuse ...well kind of actually. Girl who had a bit of modeling experience described herself as very experienced (10 shoots) and accustomed to paid sessions. Agreed to do TFCD to build up my port and liked my idea for the shoot, would like to try it out. Called recently and said she "just can't afford time for" and her rate is 250$ an hour.

I made up an excuse for that one. 250 $ an hour?...This isn't the south, her portfolio sucked, and I'm no Dave Contreas :lol:

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

MD ­ Steelerfan
518 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 24, 2009 07:44 |  #39

I had a nice one last week. Model messaged me on MM 5 hours after the shoot was supposed to happen and asked why I wasn't there. She said she was a half hour late and I had already left. When I responded that I had waited for over an hour at the meeting location she back tracked and said she turned around and when home when I didn't answer her text message (that she never sent). She must think I am stupid because she tells this elaborate lie and keeps changing the story, but won't talk on the phone. Only on MM. They need a system in place to report flakes so you can save others from the same fate.

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/brianlandis (external link)

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 24, 2009 09:29 |  #40

MD Steelerfan wrote in post #7586948 (external link)
I had a nice one last week. Model messaged me on MM 5 hours after the shoot was supposed to happen and asked why I wasn't there. She said she was a half hour late and I had already left. When I responded that I had waited for over an hour at the meeting location she back tracked and said she turned around and when home when I didn't answer her text message (that she never sent). She must think I am stupid because she tells this elaborate lie and keeps changing the story, but won't talk on the phone. Only on MM. They need a system in place to report flakes so you can save others from the same fate.

I talked about making a thread here listing number and facts only. Then you could search the thread for the number before booking. The liability may be too great though. There would have to be a lot of rules for that thread and no side talk or emotions. Just professional comments.

I never started it, thinking the moderators would just shut it down.

~ Jeff

MD ­ Steelerfan
518 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 24, 2009 16:07 |  #41

I agree. It would never fly. I have thought about putting notes right on my MM page but even if you just put the model or MUAs name and MM number and that they were a no show, you would probably get flamed. They would probably try to turn it around and blame you and in the end it is just a mess. It would be good if there was a list off of MM that they had no control of and that the models probably would never know of either that would tip off fellow photogs to stear clear of certain people.

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/brianlandis (external link)

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 24, 2009 16:15 as a reply to  @ MD Steelerfan's post |  #42

mine went as follows: (I was meeting her for lunch because this was going to be a big shoot and so i put another shoot down for this meeting)

Flaky mc flake flake wrote:
I'm really sorry but I had to cancel my MM account. I decided to quit because I have been scammed and need to change everything now. I'm sorry but I can not do lunch wednesday. I won't be doing any kind of modeling for a long time. I'll let you know if I ever change my mind.

I responded:

me wrote:
Im sorry to hear that. If you ever change your mind feel free to contact me. That sucks that you have been scammed. But none the less, It does happen to some of us. Feel free to get ahold of me if you ever want anything.

Then Got this:

flaky mc flake flake wrote:
Yea. It's ok though. Everything's so complicated now. I had to close my MM account, my email, my checking account, change my phone number. The only thing he still knows is my house address which really scares me. He kept calling me under a private number this morning so I finally answered it and it was an Iraqi guy asking me where his money was. My heart has never beat that fast in my life lol. But hopefully he leaves me alone now. I will definitely call you if I change my mind about modeling though. You really do have some great work.

*** Now here is what is funny about this.. her MM account still exists and she is still active.. also, you would think she would change/remove her Facebook/ etc... :lol: they must think we are stupid... lol

David W.

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 24, 2009 16:51 |  #43

MD Steelerfan wrote in post #7589886 (external link)
I agree. It would never fly. I have thought about putting notes right on my MM page but even if you just put the model or MUAs name and MM number and that they were a no show, you would probably get flamed. They would probably try to turn it around and blame you and in the end it is just a mess. It would be good if there was a list off of MM that they had no control of and that the models probably would never know of either that would tip off fellow photogs to stear clear of certain people.

You should read the MM rules. They list all the things they will kick you off or suspend you for. No negativity allowed. No code words or coded list names, etc.

~ Jeff

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 24, 2009 17:09 |  #44

Simple solution is getting a deposit every single time before putting someone in your calendar. I was bit by a paying model that didn't pay and won't go that route again. Even on the rare TF* job I do, I'll get a deposit that will be returned when we shoot.

The only time from here on out I'll get my camera out without a deposit is with a model I've worked with before and know very well.

And screening up front really helps. I've yet to have a no-show (knock on wood).

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 24, 2009 17:28 |  #45

iClickPhotography wrote in post #7590317 (external link)
Simple solution is getting a deposit every single time before putting someone in your calendar. I was bit by a paying model that didn't pay and won't go that route again. Even on the rare TF* job I do, I'll get a deposit that will be returned when we shoot.

The only time from here on out I'll get my camera out without a deposit is with a model I've worked with before and know very well.

And screening up front really helps. I've yet to have a no-show (knock on wood).

I wish I could do that. I try not to get paid and only do TF*. It made my life much better. I have very little time so make the most of it. I have only had 7 studio sessions, 1 fashion show, and 5 let's take some pics real quick while at a location. 18 years from now I'll retire and become a tru pro. It gives me a lot of time for portfolio developement. I think I have a great portfolio for so few shooting opportunities and I've got a long list of models who want to work with me so I can be selective. I went fashion last year, got hurt and took a break for 9 months, then started up in late December. I started doing studio for the first time last year too. I have had an SLR since I was 8 and did darkroom work when I was younger so no stranger to photography.

I try to screen and meet beforehand but too many photographers around me, really guys with cameras, will do anything to shoot with models and new models have a hard time telling who's good, who's lucky, and who's portfolio looks good from quantity of shoots.

I do tell models I don't pay them nor do I expect them to pay me. Clients pay models and photographers. I would pay a model if I had to have her and it wouldn't benefit her portfolio, or if I give her nothing because I'm just playing around with lighting to figure out a new complicated setup prior to a real shoot -- as I would expect models to pay a photographer to work if not really benefiting his portfolio.

I think I would be laughed at asking for a deposit for TF*.

Screening use to be a must for me. Others in the area say I get more no-shows becuase I go after new faces a lot and required them to meet me if they are not referred by others I know in the biz. I like to plan and get things perfect and will work with a model, MUA, etc. to make the shoot the best it can be with the resources available. I'm starting to relax that a little for ones that are out of town or are known by my friends. The out of towners I screen over the phone, but that's not the same.

~ Jeff

73,049 views & 1 like for this thread
Post your best FLAKE excuses =)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.