Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2009 (Friday) 20:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DmkII + bad weather = uh-oh!

static808
249 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2009 20:13 |  #1

apologies in advance if this is a repost.

http://www.dentonimage​s.com …Antarctic_Camer​a_Failures (external link)

lets just hope that these were beta models being tested out, and that actual production models fare better!

Rob

sponsored links
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 06, 2009 20:17 |  #2

I'm definitely not surprised since they were using grips on the 5D's, it pretty much leaves the bottom of the camera open to moisture.

Several people noted that when returning to the ship after working in light rain 5D MKIIs with vertical battery grips tended to collect water in between the grip and the base – something that may have been the cause of some of the failures.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2009 20:27 |  #3

Using a grip definitely opens up the possibilities for moisture. I wonder the the D700's had grips.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 06, 2009 20:28 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #4

How can the Mark III fail if it is pretty much H2O proof (resistant)? It must be the cold weather. If the sonys survived that really sucks fro Canon. Or maybe it was operator error?

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COM (external link)
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2009 20:56 |  #5

thats scary, I wont be using my camera in the rain

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

static808
THREAD ­ STARTER
249 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2009 21:14 |  #6

Familiaphoto wrote in post #7271199 (external link)
Using a grip definitely opens up the possibilities for moisture. I wonder the the D700's had grips.

an educated guess would be that the D700 users also had grips. it seems these guys brought out the big glass, and the grips no doubt help to stabilize the camera bodies. not to mention that the D700 grip actually adds functionality, by giving another multi-controller for the AF point selection as well as giving an extra 3 frames per second.

i think the grip design is the key here. im not sure about the new 5DmkII grip, but the D700 grip doesnt connect via the battery chamber, but only through a few circuit connections at the base of the camera. this one design difference may have been the factor. after this, i wouldnt be surprised if canon came out with an "N" version and possibly add a rubber gasket on the grip where it connects to the 5DmkII.

if there is a silver lining to all of this, its that i dont believe canon actually advertised the 5DmkII as weatherproofed. so it may have performed as it was designed, since if you want to take pictures in antarctica, you better take a 1D body with you!

but i think the biggest shocker of this whole article is the fact that amidst all of the canon, nikon and medium format gear...there was actually a sony A900 around!!

Rob

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 06, 2009 21:25 |  #7

Damn....

For those out there with the 5DII gripped you should get a slim wide strip of weather stripping from Home depot to protect that gap.

If you can't find single sided sticky then just get 3M double sided tape.

Self made weather protection!!!

:D

I will do a write up later ;)

-Eric-

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 06, 2009 21:29 |  #8

PS...

Stick it to the grip so you don't have to worry about it on the camera body when the grip is off.

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

wallybud
Taking the "Walk of Shame"
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2009 21:31 |  #9

Yeah I suspect the grips as i've used my 5DMKII in hard rain and 22 degree weather and another time in light rain and round 32 (rain/snow)

No problems whatsoever and in the hard rain I didn't even have my rainsleeves on... An occasional wipe off of the camera every 20 minutes or so seemed fine

---I did however loose the ability to use the joystick on the back, worked 100% after drying on the ride home;)

Even with full snow/rain gear on I was getting wet (I was so proud of my baby I took a photo)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i57.photobucket​.com …/wallybud/MidDa​y_Pose.jpg (external link)

-Walt-
Life is good. Do What You Like. Like What You Do.
GEAR LIST
Take | In | Life Photography (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2009 21:34 |  #10

static808 wrote in post #7271502 (external link)
if there is a silver lining to all of this, its that i dont believe canon actually advertised the 5DmkII as weatherproofed. so it may have performed as it was designed, since if you want to take pictures in antarctica, you better take a 1D body with you!

Canon, or Canon personnel rather, claim the camera to withstand light rain for 10 minutes. And in the 5D2 whitepaper, it illustrates where the camera has weathersealing.

The d700 is a camera for harsh conditions, but only Canon 1-series are built for harsh weather. Any "lesser" models should stay home if the weather might be bad. From that article, maybe the G10 has better seals than the 5D2. :oops:

I've used my 5D in snow/light snow though keeping snow from getting on it the best I can keeping my arm over it and not leting snow/melting snow accululate on it and it has never had problems operating.

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 06, 2009 21:39 as a reply to  @ wallybud's post |  #11

I always laugh to myself when I see gear exposed to the elements without proper protection. If you out in the elements without protection you deserve what you get.

my rant - every photog should have at least a garbage bag with rubber bands with them at all times.

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 06, 2009 21:42 |  #12

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #7271634 (external link)
... From that article, maybe the G10 has better seals than the 5D2. :oops:....

why even bother to try to analyse how the gear was used or exposed. Maybe some gear was put in pockets and baggies, and maybe the rented gear was exposed because it was rented.

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2009 21:48 as a reply to  @ Palladium's post |  #13

Why in the world Canon can't weatherseal a freakin $2700 camera body, I'll never know. :rolleyes:

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

static808
THREAD ­ STARTER
249 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2009 22:00 as a reply to  @ District_History_Fan's post |  #14

gorgeous shot walt!

Rob

static808
THREAD ­ STARTER
249 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2009 22:04 |  #15

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #7271634 (external link)
Canon, or Canon personnel rather, claim the camera to withstand light rain for 10 minutes. And in the 5D2 whitepaper, it illustrates where the camera has weathersealing.

i didnt know that. then i definitely think its the connection between the grip and camera.

does the 50D have the same weathersealing as the 5D mkII?? i remember reading about "tighter" seams on the body, but no actual weathersealing differences between it and the 40D. of course, like many times in the past, i could be wrong...

Rob

sponsored links

17,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DmkII + bad weather = uh-oh!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.