Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Feb 2009 (Saturday) 23:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 24-70 f2.8L or EF 300mm f/4L

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 08, 2009 17:58 |  #16

Get f2.8 if you need to stop action in poorly lit circumstances (ie if you need the shutter speed). The IS on the f4 can more than compensate for the stops of light you lose compared to the f2.8, but it will NOT let you use a faster shutter speed.

The f2.8 also gives you a brighter viewfinder, better autofocus in low light (lets more light in, although how significant this is, I don't know), is better at F4 than the 24-105 is at F4, but 2.8 is not 'much faster' than 4; it's one full top faster, while IS gives you 3-4 stops (supposedly). There's also the depth of field issue - 2.8 gives you a shallower DoF and blurrier bokeh, although I find the F4 does pretty decently.

The f2.8 is significantly heavier and a bit bigger. The F4 has a better overall range. Far as I can tell from various reviews and samples (averaged), IQ is roughly the same - one says the F4 is better, the other claims its the F2.8, so I figured 'split the difference'

Ultimately I went with 'lighter and broader range' over 'more light', because a) it was pretty cheap with the 5DII kit (400 dollars is not to be scoffed at) b) weight does matter for an all-rounder and c) if I really need fast glass, I've got 1.x primes, which are my preferred 'people shooting' glass. I shoot a fair amount of low-light stuff, but most of that is pretty static - landscapes, cityscapes, nature. Now, if they came out with a 24-70/2.8 IS zoom, I might be very, very, very sorely tempted to trade up.

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

sponsored links
socalfreebordin
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2009 20:20 |  #17

well i really like the idea of the range of the 24-105, and from using the tammy, and even adding the IS, i think i can deal with not having f2.8, but who knows. so far i am leaning towards that extra reach, unless someone can persuade me the other way.

bbbig wrote in post #7282878 (external link)
Hi Scott,

What I've learned in the past about the money you spend on quality lenses, is that there isn't a whole lot of money "spent" over time. Since there is very little depreciation on these lenses, instead of "saving money" and missing the shots for years to come, unless you have to go into debt, you should get the lenses you need. In a grand scheme of things, a couple of thousand dollars isn't something you should lose sleep over.

well the thing about that is that i have a lens i can currently use, but i would like to upgrade it. i won't let myself get into debt, and being a highschool student, i doubt my parents would let me get anywhere near that four leftter word. i'll be ok saving up for whatever.

Canon Rebel xti, 580 ex II, Tamron 28-80, canon 50mm f1.8, hoya uv filter
http://s170.photobucke​t.com …ew¤t=IMG_​1808-1.jpg (external link)

BCBryce
103 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2009 20:34 |  #18

tempest68 wrote in post #7282311 (external link)
I find it odd that a lens starting at 24mm is instantly ruled out as being too short on a crop body. It really depends on what the person using the lens shots and how they like to frame things up. As I do not have any backdrops or strobe lighting, I still take the kids to a portrait studio to get pictures taken several times a year. My favorite studio uses a 30D with the 24-70 (there are more reasons than just the gear that make me like this particular studio more than some of the other local options).

Now for my indoor shooting, I do need wider than 24mm. But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work for someone else.

I agree. I use my 24-70 as my general/walk around lens, I think it's great, and I'm using a crop. Granted, there are times when I need wider, and in those cases I hope I've got something wider on me. :)

Bryce Burnip Photography (external link) | [URL="http://blog.bryc​eburnip.com"]Blog (external link)

bbbig
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 09, 2009 09:24 |  #19

socalfreebordin wrote in post #7283847 (external link)
i won't let myself get into debt, and being a highschool student, i doubt my parents would let me get anywhere near that four leftter word. i'll be ok saving up for whatever.

Unless you're shooting (no pun intended) to become a professional photographer after getting out of school, you should be on the conservative side and hold off on your lens upgrades. There are (and will be) always bigger & better lenses coming out in the future, and unless your parents can afford to buy them for you, you should wait. When you're out of school and start making real money, then you can get yourself whatever the new toys as you please. Of course, then you may be looking at other higher-priority financial responsibilities and bills. :)

Good luck Scott.

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

socalfreebordin
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2009 10:30 |  #20

yeah. i will probably reach the $1k mark at the end of summer so... who knows whats out by then. gives me plenty of time to decide.

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 09, 2009 10:51 as a reply to  @ post 7282878 |  #21

socalfreebordin wrote in post #7281639 (external link)
haha, brett's got a lot of sigmas. i will look into sigma glass

Actually, I don't; I only have the 10-20. All the rest are Canon (guess I'll have to re-order my signature if it's confusing).

tempest68 wrote in post #7282311 (external link)
I find it odd that a lens starting at 24mm is instantly ruled out as being too short on a crop body.

Actually, it shouldn't be instantly ruled out. I was just stating that you don't often see people recommending it for a 1.6 crop body. It's not a "normal" zoom on a crop. It's heavy because it's an EF lens at 2.8 (with the associated requirement of a FF image circle), and it's expensive. That said, I'd love to own it. :)

flickr (external link)

socalfreebordin
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2009 11:05 |  #22

Brett Michael wrote in post #7287717 (external link)
Actually, I don't; I only have the 10-20. All the rest are Canon (guess I'll have to re-order my signature if it's confusing).

Actually, it shouldn't be instantly ruled out. I was just stating that you don't often see people recommending it for a 1.6 crop body. It's not a "normal" zoom on a crop. It's heavy because it's an EF lens at 2.8 (with the associated requirement of a FF image circle), and it's expensive. That said, I'd love to own it. :)

oh, well that shows my knowledge of various lenses doesn't it.

i think the have the f2.8 is more important than IS, just because of that action stopping power in lower light and such, but i still like the idea of a 24-105. currently, the 24-105 is more appetizing for that reason.

sponsored links

2,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon 24-70 f2.8L or EF 300mm f/4L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.