Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 09 Feb 2009 (Monday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using a SX10 IS or SX1 IS for aircraft

ogre1231
Goldmember
1,137 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 09, 2009 12:47 |  #1

Hey Everyone out there! I'm looking at these two cameras for taking on trips as a more portable version of my slr's. I tend to shoot lots of photos of aircraft as well as landscapes. Does anyone have any samples to share of aircraft in flight? Or even opinions of these cameras to take photos of planes. Thanks!

sponsored links
lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 09, 2009 14:34 |  #2

Here is one.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …test%20shots/IM​G_2124.jpg (external link)

It has the Servo AF function, which keeps the moving subject in focus.

Jimmy
Just my 2 frame's worth :D:D:D
My Gear List
500px album (external link)

ogre1231
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,137 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 09, 2009 15:33 |  #3

well, shoot, that's pretty darn good for a point and shoot. how far did you have to zoom in for that shot?

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 09, 2009 15:57 as a reply to  @ ogre1231's post |  #4

almost at maximum optical zoom.

The SX10 has 28-560mm (35mm film equal) of optical zoom.

plus 2.24X teleconverter (i.e digital zoom) ability

Loved it.

Jimmy
My Gear List

ogre1231
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,137 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 09, 2009 20:42 |  #5

how does the IS work when you're zoomed out so far? was that photo using digital zoom or just optical?

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 10, 2009 03:35 as a reply to  @ ogre1231's post |  #6

The photo is taken at 20X optical. I dun like digital zoom, unless i really have to.

IS works at all mm.

Jimmy
My Gear List

redback
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 18, 2009 22:55 |  #7

Hey guys ive also got a SX1 IS and im alos into shooting aircrafts aswell.
Im guessing "lensman" has some experience with shooting aircrafts, any tips you can give regardign getting good quality. Ive been wondering how to keep a subject in focus while its moving thanks for the post i have now figured that out aswell......

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 19, 2009 00:05 as a reply to  @ redback's post |  #8

1. The SX10 has about as smart (if not better) than my old 300D.

Unlike the 300D, the SX10 has the Servo focusing mode. Activated from the Menu button.

2. When focus is locked and tracking, there will be a blue square. Alternatively, I used the old focus mode (green square). Keep tracking the subject until I am ready to shoot, 1/2 press and then full press the button.

3. I avoid the continuous shot mode, as I will lose track of the subject in the viewfinder. A 20X, it is nearly impossible to shot with both eyes open (i.e. one on the viewfinder and another to track the subject).

4. Make lots of shots, to ensure that nothing goes wrong.

5. Practice.

6. To pick your subject from the wide open skies, I will open both eyes, with zoom set at widest angle. Then zoom into the subject. If I can't find it, it will move around to hunt for it. The planes move around the frame faster than you think, and unlike a grandprix, it can any anywhere in the sky.

Be careful of the sun too. It can burn your eyes and sensor, so a pair of sunglasses is not a bad idea.

Here is my past shot with the 300D and the 100-400mm L IS. Taken at max zoom, which is almost the same as our SX10's zoom @ 18X.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://img.photobucket​.com …ace%202006/AA06​-2--15.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://img.photobucket​.com …pace%202006/AA0​6-2--6.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

but to be fair, the A380 is slow moving, like a whale doing ballet ontop of waters. if it falls , I am sure of a tsunami. The weather was overcast with light rain.

Jimmy
My Gear List

redback
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 19, 2009 09:15 |  #9

Lensman you have been great help with your tips thank you. I will look into capturing the object with the servo focusing mode. Also i wanted to know would you know how to blur out the objects behind and only keep the object shooting in focus, eg the terminal is out of focus and the aircraft in focus.... ohh and ps i agree the 380 is a slow moving matchine hence massive load factor

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 19, 2009 22:08 as a reply to  @ redback's post |  #10

Some shots from my seat, of Vienna Airport. The plane was taxi on the runway that I click away.

Lost some size when I uploaded to Facebook. still, just an example for all to enjoy.

VIE1 (external link)
VIE2 (external link)
VIE3 (external link)
VIE4 (external link)

Jimmy
My Gear List

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 19, 2009 22:11 |  #11

redback wrote in post #7359148 (external link)
Also i wanted to know would you know how to blur out the objects behind and only keep the object shooting in focus, eg the terminal is out of focus and the aircraft in focus....

I don't have good advice for you on this yet, as airport and airplanes are hugh by size. Go too near, and you use wide angle, the background blurr effect is gone , even with a f2.8. Go too far back, you will be so far outside the airport that you need a 2000mm lens to save your shot.

I would prefer close crop instead, as seen in the A380 photos. Yes, you will have 1/2 wing or 1/3 of a nose missing, but think of it as your way of telling your audience, what is the focal point of your photo. Happy shooting.

Jimmy
My Gear List

sponsored links

3,016 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a SX10 IS or SX1 IS for aircraft
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.