Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Feb 2009 (Tuesday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about Smart Objects (PS CS2)

C2S
303 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 10, 2009 08:13 |  #1

Hey all,

Some of my post-processed images contain identical layers, the only differences being their blend modes, blend opacities, and the possible adjustment layers targeted to them. This got me thinking if I could save some disk space using the "smart objects"-feature. (since I always save my recent files with full layer information without flattening the image, for possible future uses)

If I've understood correctly: when you create a smart object out of a normal layer and duplicate it, the duplicates aren't independent since they change together with each edit made to one of them. (excluding layer blending options and adjustment layers, of course) Apparently they can also be transformed losslessly multiple times, but let's not get into that for now.

So if I create smart object out of a layer and then duplicate it, say, 5 times, the memory usage should be only 1/5 compared to duplicating regular non-smart layers - is this correct? After all, all five change together when edited, which would indicate that there's only one copy in the memory and the other four are instances of that copy.

When such file is saved on disk though, the file size doesn't decrease - instead, converting identical layers into instanced smart objects increases the file size.

I was hoping to shave off about 100-150 MB of my 600 MB (still editable) image files, but apparently that doesn't seem to be possible with the "smart objects"-feature. Is that correct or is there something I should still try?

Another thing that crossed my mind is that perhaps the LZW / layer compression options of TIF-files are already capable of optimizing the file size by finding layer similarities and attempting to merge them into such instances, in which case my file was already optimized for what I was attempting to do manually. But I could be wrong, since I don't know exactly what the compression options are capable of. I'll do some reading about those meanwhile.

Hmm, any thoughts?

EOS 500D | Sigma 10-20mm EX | EF-S 18-55mm IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 70-300mm macro | Tripod | CPL | 25% GND | 0.2% ND | Canon RC-1 | 430EX Speedlite

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,636 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 10, 2009 16:17 |  #2

I think you've misinterpreted Smart Objects.

I think they're largely bunkum. Forget about them.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Peano
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 10, 2009 17:40 |  #3

C2S wrote in post #7294484 (external link)
Hey all,

Some of my post-processed images contain identical layers, the only differences being their blend modes, blend opacities, and the possible adjustment layers targeted to them. This got me thinking if I could save some disk space using the "smart objects"-feature.

Don't forget about smart objects. They're very useful for some purposes, but they won't help you here. You can, however, get the effect of those various blend modes without duplicating the image layer. Use "null" adjustment layers instead.

Example: Open an image, then open a levels adjustment layer and close the dialog box without making any adjustments. Change blend mode to screen. You'll get exactly the same effect as duplicating the image and changing that layer to screen mode.

This works for other blend modes as well -- multiply, soft light, overlay, etc. -- and it doesn't increase file size. You can also adjust layer opacity and use the layer mask to apply these effects selectively.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,130 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Feb 10, 2009 18:06 |  #4

even though you are using a Smart Object, its information is still stored within the PSD, although when you alter it, a Temp file is created until the working file is closed

Damo77 wrote in post #7297903 (external link)
I think they're largely bunkum. Forget about them.

but doesn't mean they don't have their uses! ;)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,636 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 10, 2009 18:10 |  #5

I view Smart Objects the same way I view Adobe RGB - advantageous in the right circumstances and when used correctly; dangerous to noobs.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

C2S
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 10, 2009 19:43 |  #6

You can, however, get the effect of those various blend modes without duplicating the image layer. Use "null" adjustment layers instead.

Good idea, this worked great. There was only a very slight difference when compared to an actual duplicated layer, which I assume was caused by a rounding error by Photoshop since I was still working on an unflattened document. Of course, the flattened end result looks identical when done either way, but now I was able to reduce the filesize by 16%. Thanks! :)

As for smart objects, I'll get back to them when I actually need the lossless resizing or distortion, for example.

EOS 500D | Sigma 10-20mm EX | EF-S 18-55mm IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 70-300mm macro | Tripod | CPL | 25% GND | 0.2% ND | Canon RC-1 | 430EX Speedlite

Peano
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 10, 2009 20:27 |  #7

C2S wrote in post #7299367 (external link)
Good idea, this worked great. There was only a very slight difference when compared to an actual duplicated layer,

Hmmm ... that's odd. I tried it with an image that showed a document size of 22.8M/31.3M. I duplicated the layer and had a document size of 22.8M/54.1M. If I add a null adjustment layer instead, the size remains 22.8M/31.3M. No measurable increase. This is without any merging or flattening.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

lnterestlng
393 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 10, 2009 23:55 |  #8

You will only get an increase in file size if you alter the pixels i THINK. A duplicate layer command still uses the original pixel info a second time. No need to add it again in the saved file.

Just a theory

C2S
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2009 03:08 |  #9

Hmmm ... that's odd. I tried it with an image that showed a document size of 22.8M/31.3M.

Heh, I wasn't talking about the document size... it was a visual difference. When working in Photoshop, you don't see the full quality composite of your image until you flatten all layers, which I guess explains the slight difference. But it's not significant enough to bother me at all. The document size information is working correctly and shows exactly what you described.

sponsored links

1,253 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about Smart Objects (PS CS2)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.