Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 04:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you get jealous of other people's gear list?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2009 04:02 |  #1

I have to admit, while generally not being an envious person, I do find myself staring at some posters gear list, and dreaming.

If only...

sponsored links
Sarel
318 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 11, 2009 04:15 |  #2

There is a HUGE difference between "dreaming" and "being jealous".

Jealous, I am not...
Dreaming... well, yes.

but usually, when I dream of something so bad, I buy it. :)

Canon EOS1d Mark IV
Canon EOS5d Mark III Gripped

35L[COLOR=gray] | 85L Mk II | 135L | 300L[COLOR=gray] | 17-40L | 24-105L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8IS | EF 1.4X II | 580EX II

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 11, 2009 04:19 |  #3

I'll only admit to being a bit jealous ;)

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2009 04:23 |  #4

In photography, everything is compromise and choice.

So why to be jaleous of people for instance that have a 70-200f2.8IS when i have chosen 70-200f4 for lightweight, discretion and compacity ? And my copy is tack sharp !

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2009 04:23 |  #5

Sarel wrote in post #7301713 (external link)
There is a HUGE difference between "dreaming" and "being jealous".

Jealous, I am not...
Dreaming... well, yes.

but usually, when I dream of something so bad, I buy it. :)

I know the difference - it's just that my jealousy causes my dreaming.

On top of gear list, I get envious of people's eye when they take infinitely better pictures than I, with much less gear, so I guess it means little in the end. Gotta keep practising!

nik.hisham
745 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2009 04:31 |  #6

You know, its funny how things work.

When this was just a hobby, there was some envy. I really couldn't wait for the next opportunity to pick up my camera and just go out and shoot. And I would definitely eye other people's gear list with envy.

But now that this hobby has turned into work, there's no more envy. All I can think about in my head is. 'do I have the right equipment to make sure that I don't miss the moments?'. So its not a case of, "Wow, you have this in your gear list. I want! I want!" It's more of, "uh.. do I have the right 2 bodies and lens combinations to complete this assignment?" Cos if I don't, and I find something I need, I'll just go out and buy it. The cost can be recovered in one or two shoots anyway, so there's really nothing to envy.

The down side is this. Now that it has become 'work', I sometimes don't look forward to it. I don't enjoy work mode as much as just going out on my own to just do some plain street photograph, or landscape and spending hours doing PP. But because this makes me some money, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

I bet I'm not the only one with this view.

Nik.

5D Mark II | 50 F1.8 II | 35L | 17-40L | 38-76 "Macro" | 580EX II | 430EX
flickr (external link)

nik.hisham
745 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2009 04:35 |  #7

You know, its funny how things work.

When this was just a hobby, there was some envy. I really couldn't wait for the next opportunity to pick up my camera and just go out and shoot. And I would definitely eye other people's gear list with envy.

But now that this hobby has turned into work, there's no more envy. All I can think about in my head is. 'do I have the right equipment to make sure that I don't miss the moments?'. So its not a case of, "Wow, you have this in your gear list. I want! I want!" It's more of, "uh.. do I have the right 2 bodies and lens combinations to complete this assignment?" Cos if I don't, and I find something I need, I'll just go out and buy it. The cost can be recovered in one or two shoots anyway, so there's really nothing to envy.

The down side is this. Now that it has become 'work', I sometimes don't look forward to it. I don't enjoy work mode as much as just going out on my own to just do some plain street photograph, or landscape and spending hours doing PP. But because this makes me some money, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

I bet I'm not the only one with this view.

Nik.

flickr (external link)

lkrms
"stupidly long verbal diarrhoea"
4,558 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 11, 2009 04:38 |  #8

A couple of years ago, I would have been envious of my current gear list.

Now it's just a list of equipment I need to do what I do, and there's plenty of it I could survive without.

Luke
Headshot photographer Sydney and Newcastle (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link)

kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
3,229 posts
Gallery: 171 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2009 04:42 |  #9

drool sometimes, jealous, no.

Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 11, 2009 04:51 as a reply to  @ nik.hisham's post |  #10

I envy the fact that you can "recover the cost" in just 1 or 2 shots nik ;) haha

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 11, 2009 04:52 as a reply to  @ kiwichris's post |  #11

I admit to being intensely jealous of other peoples abilities at times but can't say I've felt any jealousy over equipment.

Steve.

Gear List

sjones
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 11, 2009 05:00 |  #12

gofer wrote in post #7301784 (external link)
I admit to being intensely jealous of other peoples abilities at times but can't say I've felt any jealousy over equipment.

Yep, pretty much the same way as well.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

nik.hisham
745 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2009 05:05 |  #13

puzzle wrote in post #7301779 (external link)
I envy the fact that you can "recover the cost" in just 1 or 2 shots nik ;) haha

lol... its not all that great. Something small, say a 580 II, I can recover in one shoot. A 5D2? That would definitely take 3 or 4 or 5 shoots... although I know more than a few people hear earn many times more than I do per shoot.

But hey, I take what I can get :)

flickr (external link)

WillOPhotos
456 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 11, 2009 05:12 as a reply to  @ nik.hisham's post |  #14

nope cos I will have it one day :p

Hassy H4D-40, Gitzo 3541XLS, RRS BH-55
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/willophotograph​y/ (external link)www.williamophuis.com/​blog << add blog for some reason it goes to my main site :) (external link)

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2009 05:59 |  #15

I'm pretty happy with mine.... but it can only be improved with more L glass and studio gear. :D

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

sponsored links

10,728 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you get jealous of other people's gear list?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.