Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 11 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Adorama/Kingston debacle....

fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2009 16:16 |  #1

Hello All!

Im posting this for several reasons but mostly to save others from a potential headache.

In a nutshell, the Kingston 16GB CF card does NOT work with the Canon 1DMkIII or any 1D for that matter according to their website. This was the first time Ive ever heard that a specifric card could have compatibility issues with certain cameras.

I purchased a Kingston 16GB CF from Adorama on Nov 28th (2+months ago). A lil over a week later I receive card and noticed it doesnt work properly. Adorama tells me to send it to Kingston, Kingston sends me another card which doesnt work and find out for the first time about this compatability problem. They tell me to send it back to retailer for refund. Adorama is telling me they cant take it back since it's been opened AND it's not the original card.
Can you see how much fun this is yet?

So Im basically screwed with a card that wont work with MY specific camera....NICE.
Adoram has lost me for good and Kingston wont get my $$$ anytime soon either.

Thnx for listening to my rant.

Oh...if there is anyone out there who knows this card will work on their camera and have two 8GB cards to trade me for it....shoot me an email!!!

sponsored links
thebrewer
786 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2009 16:32 |  #2

Can you post a link to the website. I had a card give me err 99 untill I formatted it. All has been fine for me since. (1D mk III w/16g 133x kingston CF)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 11, 2009 16:34 |  #3

Rich, you said you formatted it, was it in the camera or in the computer?

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

thebrewer
786 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2009 16:43 |  #4

In the camera. The first time I used it, I took 2 images and the camera err99'd. I formatted it and have had no problems since. For my sanity I use the sd card as a backup. The Kingston card has behaved well in the 5DmkII as well.

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2009 18:05 |  #5

thebrewer wrote in post #7305662 (external link)
Can you post a link to the website. I had a card give me err 99 untill I formatted it. All has been fine for me since. (1D mk III w/16g 133x kingston CF)

I've tried formatting it atleast 5x.......still not working. What serial number is your MkIII?

http://www.ec.kingston​.com …ktcpartno=CF/16​GB-S2&id=2 (external link)<<<<<click the 'click here' button for compatible cameras.....no 1D's but ur 5D and XXD's seem to be fine.

thebrewer
786 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 12, 2009 09:34 as a reply to  @ fortisi876's post |  #6

serial - 557xxx
firmware - 1.2.3

Just to be safe I will keep it in the 5dII.

Rich

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 12, 2009 14:22 |  #7

Thnx for sharing Rich....Ive posted this in several forums, iirc, you're one of three ppl who arent having any issues so I wouldnt worry so much about it if you havent had issues since your err99.

Both ppl (you & another guy) who posted their serial #'s have much newer units than mine (511XXX) so Im beginning to wonder if Canon made a change at some point???

The one thing I hadnt checked with this second card until this morning was to toss it into my pc card reader to see if the files were readable (they werent with the first/original card). To my surprise, the test pics taken last night (that were unviewable 'in camera') were ok on my PC. So the card seems to work there atleast but still renders it useless in my camera since I cant see the results on the fly.

MTaylor
51 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 12, 2009 17:12 |  #8

Wow this is interesting. For what it's worth I have been using a Kingston 16gb in my 50d for about a week with no issues. Best of luck

Matt ... my paid work is sales and my fun work is photography.

Gear...

Canon 5D MK ii, 16-35 2.8L ii, 24-105L, 100-400L, 17-35 2.8L, 50 1.8 II, 580 EX ii...

Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2009 19:30 |  #9

I have a kingston 1GB that I used with the 40D until I got my two Extreme III's but never once had a problem (i have the slow card).

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2009 08:03 |  #10

I have one of these cards and it works fine in the 40D and 50D. I have several 8GB cards, let me see what I'm willing to part with.

Flickr (external link)

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 15, 2009 09:38 |  #11

Just for clarification, the Kingston 16GB compact flash card works fine in the Canon XXD and 5DmkII bodies as advertised on their site......it's the 1D series Kingston states there is an issue. Even with that said, some 1DMkIII users (3-4 that I know) have stated they're not experiencing problems.

The purpose of this post was to alert buyers to check for compatibility before purchasing a card, cuz the retailers (Adorama in my case) and the manufacturer will take your $$$ without issue but will not allow you to return said item AFTER opening the package. Essentially leaving you with a card that doesnt work in your camera.

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 15, 2009 11:55 |  #12

What does Kingston say when you told them what Adorama told you?

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 15, 2009 15:34 |  #13

I was in contact with Kingston 'customer service' via email during this entire problem, after I explained to them that I was extremely unhappy with the way they and Adorama were handling this they have yet to write back (over a month later).

So I called last Friday and spoke to a 'level I' person in customer service who couldnt resolve the issue so they passed me to their level II person, that person told me even tho 2 months is their limit (was over by a week) they would accept the card as long as I have a receipt to send with it and then they would give me a card equilevant (to their pricing) of what I paid for the card. Two problems with that....1) I cant find the receipt and 2) their pricing for the same card is substantially more on their site so Id be lucky to get 1 8GB card out of the deal.

Boxmannn
99 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 16, 2009 07:44 as a reply to  @ fortisi876's post |  #14

pm sent

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=1193134&post​count=1656Gear List

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 16, 2009 10:28 |  #15

fortisi876 wrote in post #7330871 (external link)
Two problems with that....1) I cant find the receipt and 2) their pricing for the same card is substantially more on their site so Id be lucky to get 1 8GB card out of the deal.

Can't you log onto the adorama site and look up the order history and reprint the receipt? Or reprint it from your email?

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

sponsored links

1,265 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Adorama/Kingston debacle....
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.