Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Feb 2009 (Friday) 10:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PayPal experience

slkfis
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 13, 2009 10:28 |  #1

I recently completed a deal on eBay for a Canon 30D and goodies. When the auction ended I immediately went to PayPal for payment. This was confirmed.

Within 30 minutes I received an Email form the seller saying PayPal was holding his payment up to 21 days after shipment, he wondered why. I called to find out and was told that certain categories were now having payment held because of their fraud potential.

This seller had a 100% rating on 479 transactions. He said this was the first he heard of this policy. This became a standoff and eventually cancellation of the transaction.

I then received the following Email from PayPal. Has anyone else experienced this? It was my first.

thxs

slkfis

----- Original Message -----
To: Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: BusinessSolutions (Routing Code: C840-L001-T12012-S111-W000000)
(KMM98985121I96L0KM) :ppk1

Dear xxxx

Hello, xxxx, my name is Karen, and I am happy to assist you with your question regarding eBay payment holds.

xxxxx, I am so sorry to hear of this situation. I know both you and
your seller are consciencious members of eBay and PayPal. This process is not meant to be a negative reflection of you or your seller's
business practices. Both eBay and PayPal are companies trying to ensure the success of sellers and buyers by ensuring buyers' items are received, thus helping sellers avoid buyer complaints, etc. The
information below may offer additional explanation regarding the
procedure for holding and releasing payments.

PayPal and eBay are working together to make the marketplace safer for buyers and sellers by helping to ensure successful transactions.
Therefore, some sellers are now required to offer a safer payment
option, either PayPal or a merchant credit card. These payment options offer additional protections to buyers.

In addition, for a small percentage of transactions where it is
determined the risk of buyer dissatisfaction is higher, funds may be
held. However, once a buyer has paid for an item, the seller should ship it immediately. Sellers should not use held funds as an excuse to delay shipping.
PayPal may release the funds earlier when one of the following occurs:
* 3 calendar days after PayPal confirms item delivery
* The buyer leaves positive feedback after receiving the item.
* After 21 days unless they receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold.
Have a great day and thank you for being one of our valued members!
By the way, don't forget that Valentine's Day is just around the corner!
Save with a host of great offers from a variety of PayPal merchants.
Check out
www.paypal.com/valenti​nesdeals (external link) for complete details!

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Sincerely,
Karen
PayPal Consumer Support
PayPal, an eBay Company

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

sponsored links
hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 13, 2009 10:33 |  #2

It sounds more like an excuse for Paypal to hold on to the customers money for 3 weeks.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 13, 2009 10:41 |  #3

Something doesn't smell right. Ebay and PayPal will have big problems if they start making this a practice. The only thing that I can rationalize regarding your specifics is the seller may have had a dispute in the past that was mutually (seller and buyer) resolved. Either negative feedback was not left by the unsatisified buyer or the feedback comment was removed by ebay and agreed upon in writting by buyer and seller. Therefore you had no reference to all of this. Ebay did have a record of that failed transaction and hence, took this action.

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIO (external link)
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

thebac
106 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 13, 2009 11:08 as a reply to  @ seaside's post |  #4

Yep, Ebay/Paypal announced this change in their policy (the holding period) sometime last year.

Obviously, this was done to protect themselves. In the process, sellers might get screwed over--not saying that this happened, just that as a seller I would now be more concerned about getting screwed over.

I haven't sold anything on Ebay during that time period, just not worth the hassle.

xtrematrix
109 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 13, 2009 13:09 as a reply to  @ thebac's post |  #5

I sold a film camera and they held the funds for a few weeks after delivery. I just dealt with it I wasn't desperate enough to get my hand on the money, so i didn't mind waiting.

rx5zigen
59 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 13, 2009 13:15 |  #6

Reason why I hate paypal but its almost like you don't have a choice w/ ebay. I used google checkout and have no problems so far (**knock on wood**)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 13, 2009 13:41 as a reply to  @ rx5zigen's post |  #7

Yes, this is now normal practise when sellers have below a certain level of transactions and the item is over a certain value. You don't have to wait three weeks, in the majority of cases it is much quicker, with payment being completed on receipt of feedback from the buyer or you can e-mail Paypal with the tracking details once it is delivered.

There have been a number of threads on this in the past few months.

I find it amusing that, before this came in, there were loads of threads on here complaining about Paypal not doing enough to protect buyers. The complainers moaned that it was too easy for people to set up accounts, sell an 'item', collect the money and not send anything. Some buyers were paying up and simply receiving nothing, then having to go through a complicated claims procedure to get there money back.

"Why don't Paypal do something to stop this happening ?", everyone was asking. Well, they have done something to stop it happening and now everybody seems to be complaining about that.

I know it might be a bit of an inconvenience to have to wait a few days for your money, but come on guys. This is a feature that a lot of people find useful. It actually benefits new sellers as many people (myself included) would simply not bid on their items previously, in case they got ripped off. New sellers generally got lower amounts for expensive equipment, as buyers wouldn't take the chance if they weren't standing to save a good bit of money. Now that a seller won't get my money until I have the item, I am prepared to bid more on such items.

You may have to wait a little longer for the money, but there is quite likely to be a bit more of it when you do.

Sure, I'm glad that this doesn't affect me (selling feedback well over 1000 @ 100% +ve) but I wouldn't worry about it, if I was still getting established.

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 13, 2009 14:37 |  #8

the seller was in the wrong, you did nothing to require this from paypal, it's paypal that is now required this.

you should complain to ebay/paypal that the seller did not honor the sale.

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2009 17:18 |  #9

This is just one of many reasons I have not listed a single thing for sale on eBay* since last summer. I completely understand that there were problems with bad sellers scamming buyers, but there have also been significant reports of bad buyers scamming sellers.

Part of the benefit behind PayPal was the immediacy of the transaction. You pay, I ship, wham bam thank you ma'am. I personally would not be inclined to even send the item until I had the money in hand, so I just don't even bother with the process.

Yes, something needs to be done to fix the problems that are there, but this isn't it.

*-Last week I get an e-mail from eBay. They miss me wand want me to come back. Do they really want to know why? :rolleyes:

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

slkfis
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 14, 2009 10:27 |  #10

I appreciate the replies and the experience of others. I did feel at first something wasn't quite right with the seller despite his rating , but I guess not.

I could have forced the sale but figured if something was wrong he would maybe do something internal to the camera or something of that nature. I just figured it was not worth the effort. I'll find another good deal on what I want. Perhaps I'll be fortunate enought to find it on this site.

thxs

slkfis

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 14, 2009 13:45 as a reply to  @ slkfis's post |  #11

I asked Ebay to email me thier policy regarding the payment hold process. Here is the part with pertinent details.
---------------

PayPal and eBay are working to make buying safer on eBay. Now some
sellers and listings in certain categories need to include a safer
payment option, either PayPal or a merchant credit card. These options
offer additional protection to buyers.

For a small percentage of sellers, funds may be held in their account
for up to 21 days. However, once a buyer has paid for an item, the
seller should ship it. The hold will be released after 21 days if there
is no dispute or other action. The funds may be released earlier if
either of the following occurs:
- Buyer leaves positive Feedback.
- 3 days after PayPal confirms item delivery.

Possible reasons for temporary holds are as follows:
- The transaction involves an item from one our higher risk categories,
which includes gift certificates, video games, cell phones, computers, and consumer electronics.
- Seller has a limited transaction history with less than 100 Feedback.
- Seller has more than 5% dissatisfied customers in the last 30 days.
---------------

Obviously photogaphy equipment falls under higher risk category.So regardless of a sellers excellent feedback and numerous transactions, camera equipment falls under the high risk arena and payment can and may be put on hold.

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIO (external link)
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

sponsored links

473 views & 0 likes for this thread
PayPal experience
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.