Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Feb 2009 (Friday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sample Craigs List scam! Canon 200mm F2 *Beware!!*

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 13, 2009 13:53 |  #1

I just wanted to post this as a sample to learn from. If it's too good to be true, it's probably not and watch out for listing like these. Lens sell new for $5300 and it's listed for $2200 brand new. Poster didn't bother to post date code for such high end item.

http://lasvegas.craigs​list.org/pho/102318708​4.html (external link)

In these cases you email the poster thinking it's a good deal then they'll reply with a message saying they'll send you a check to cash and you can send back the difference etc..etc..

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links
Haru
265 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2009 15:01 |  #2

I saw that last week and thought the same thing, it is just too good to be true. Almost emailed to ask about it but figured it would be a waste of time.

Gear: Stone slab, hammer, chiseL, and crushed barries.

liquefied
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 13, 2009 15:36 |  #3

Yes, this is as old as craigslist and you are warned about it when searching on craigslist.

Esquire08
251 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 13, 2009 22:54 |  #4

I'm glad this needs its own thread.

6D | Samyang 14 ƒ/2.8 | 24-70 ƒ/4L IS | Feisol 3301 + Markins M10

fiveFPS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 14, 2009 01:33 |  #5

It's been flagged for removal! I just wish all these scams would just stop! I feel bad for those who actually get fooled into it.

Justin_Thyme
984 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 14, 2009 07:44 |  #6

These scams are everywhere in many shapes and forms.
I had one a few years back that was similar in nature when I was still single. I had a huge farm house on 110 acres and was not home enough and having a very hard time keeping up with the grounds. I listed an ad on one of the room mate sites and was looking to give someone a nice place to stay for a cut rate with the understanding I needed help with grounds upkeep. I got this response and picture of a stunning young lady that claimed to be a model living in London but moving to the states and needed a place to stay that was a reasonable distance from NYC which it was. After a bit of dialog I was mailed a Cashiers check for $6000 to pay for a year in advance. I received this instrument mailed from the UK with no return address on it. I opened the envelope and what was inside was a supposed cashiers check. After seeing the very plain envelope I opened the top to look ing but did not remove this check. The print was overlapping in places and it was cut in an other than straight fashion. Other than that everything looked as a Cashiers check should. The I saw that it was a US bank that it was supposedly drawn on but the real clincher is they forgot the date format in the US is different from Eurpopean standards. The date was dd/mm/yyyy intead of mm/dd/yyyyy. I called the bank who confirmed that this was not their instrument and contacted the FBI and turned it over to them. Not two weeks later I get a phone call telling me that her mother was very sick and stranded in an african nation and she needed me to send her $3K and she would make it up upon arrival in the states. I agreed to do so (not really but she thought so). As soon as that conversation ended I contacted the FBI who had since gotten latent prints off of the phony cashiers check and played it out with them. I had told her I would wire the money to the account she had given and the next day with the FBI listening in she called again asking had the money been sent and I kept her on the phone long enough for FBI in conjunction with interpol and UK police and she was arrested while still on the phone!
One less scammer but a small dent in what is out there.

Theres a guy that baits the nigerian scammers and gets a good laugh in the process.
Check out this site and be ready for some humor over what he does with them.
http://www.419eater.co​m/index.htm (external link)

funlovincamera
291 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 14, 2009 10:00 |  #7

Justin_Thyme wrote in post #7323160 (external link)
These scams are everywhere in many shapes and forms.
I had one a few years back that was similar in nature when I was still single. I had a huge farm house on 110 acres and was not home enough and having a very hard time keeping up with the grounds. I listed an ad on one of the room mate sites and was looking to give someone a nice place to stay for a cut rate with the understanding I needed help with grounds upkeep. I got this response and picture of a stunning young lady that claimed to be a model living in London but moving to the states and needed a place to stay that was a reasonable distance from NYC which it was. After a bit of dialog I was mailed a Cashiers check for $6000 to pay for a year in advance. I received this instrument mailed from the UK with no return address on it. I opened the envelope and what was inside was a supposed cashiers check. After seeing the very plain envelope I opened the top to look ing but did not remove this check. The print was overlapping in places and it was cut in an other than straight fashion. Other than that everything looked as a Cashiers check should. The I saw that it was a US bank that it was supposedly drawn on but the real clincher is they forgot the date format in the US is different from Eurpopean standards. The date was dd/mm/yyyy intead of mm/dd/yyyyy. I called the bank who confirmed that this was not their instrument and contacted the FBI and turned it over to them. Not two weeks later I get a phone call telling me that her mother was very sick and stranded in an african nation and she needed me to send her $3K and she would make it up upon arrival in the states. I agreed to do so (not really but she thought so). As soon as that conversation ended I contacted the FBI who had since gotten latent prints off of the phony cashiers check and played it out with them. I had told her I would wire the money to the account she had given and the next day with the FBI listening in she called again asking had the money been sent and I kept her on the phone long enough for FBI in conjunction with interpol and UK police and she was arrested while still on the phone!
One less scammer but a small dent in what is out there.

That is one heck of a story! bw!

XSi | 17-55mm 2.8 IS | 10-22mm | 85mm 1.8 | 430EX II | La Crosse BC-900 | eneloops | B+W Kaesemann F-PRO MRC CPL and UV | Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home | PacSafe CarrySafe 100 strap | Lowepro DMC-Z memory card wallet | (previously a 7D)

fiveFPS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 14, 2009 20:09 |  #8

Wow Justin that's awesome... the ending is truly priceless. THanks for the link to the site.

There has to be a way to alert the new Canon members about all the possible scam scenarios.. Because when you just starting out you are on an impulse buy and still some members order from those sites in New York that do the bait and switch and it just sucks!

Always check resellerratings.com

scot079
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 14, 2009 21:51 |  #9

Justin, thanks for the scam baiters link...I just spent a LOL hour reading is material, that guys my hero!

- Tim
www.timadkinsphoto.com (external link)
GEARandFEEDBACK

digitalzed
33 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 15, 2009 18:21 |  #10

fiveFPS wrote in post #7326534 (external link)
Wow Justin that's awesome... the ending is truly priceless. THanks for the link to the site.

There has to be a way to alert the new Canon members about all the possible scam scenarios.. Because when you just starting out you are on an impulse buy and still some members order from those sites in New York that do the bait and switch and it just sucks!

Always check resellerratings.com

And remember, If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

RogerAylstock
797 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 17, 2009 11:16 as a reply to  @ digitalzed's post |  #11

Justin, thanks for taking one scammer off the streets!

Roger
Canon 7D, Canon 24-105 F4L, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ISL, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon 50mm 1.4,
Sigma 105mm DG Macro, Canon 1.4x Teleextender, Canon 580EX II Flash.
VintageCreekPhotograph​y (external link) Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

728 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sample Craigs List scam! Canon 200mm F2 *Beware!!*
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.