Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 13 Feb 2009 (Friday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Models in HDR

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 13, 2009 19:45 |  #1

Here is one month of a full year calendar that I am doing for a client. The final, main shot, is an HDR.

Being shot in my garage while it is 40° outside (52° in the garage) I had very limited space as well as lights - and this shoot took all that I have.

The sand in front and behind the blanket was added in post.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i211.photobucke​t.com …hotos/August200​9-1000.jpg (external link)

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
AlphaChicken
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 14, 2009 06:08 |  #2

The whole point of HDR is to capture a larger than normal, rather the WHOLE, dynamic range in a shot. If you were shooting in your garage then why would you need HDR? Unless you were going a for tone-mapping look...which obviously is not the case.

It is a very very nice shot though...I just dont understand the use of HDR?

I am Henry. NOT Hank. And certainly not a length of rope tied in a knot. ;)
My family calls me Hen, but you can call me Chicken. See you out there!
|Deviant Art (external link)
|Facebook (external link)|Gear List

Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 14, 2009 09:09 |  #3

I think it looks good in HDR, it brings out detail in the umbrella without becoming distracting. Seems like a good use of HDR for what it is intended to do, create a picture with a high dynamic range. If you do HDR right, you shouldn't be able to look at the picture and say "that's an HDR processed image". The over the top HDR images are fun to look at sometimes, but I wonder if it's just in a "how did they do that" type of way.

My only suggestion would be to change the calendar text to something with a slight black drop-shadow so you can read it on both dark and light backgrounds. It doesn't have to be much, just a hint of black so the white doesn't get lost in the light backgrounds. I see a lot of people either forget to do this or just not think of it in the first place, and it becomes annoying to try and read the text.

Canon XTi, 18-55mm kit IS and non, 10-22mm, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 580EX
Sigma SD14, 18-125mm DG, 20-40mm f/2.8 EX

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 14, 2009 13:45 |  #4

Toeslider wrote in post #7323430 (external link)
I think it looks good in HDR, it brings out detail in the umbrella without becoming distracting. Seems like a good use of HDR for what it is intended to do, create a picture with a high dynamic range. If you do HDR right, you shouldn't be able to look at the picture and say "that's an HDR processed image". The over the top HDR images are fun to look at sometimes, but I wonder if it's just in a "how did they do that" type of way.

My only suggestion would be to change the calendar text to something with a slight black drop-shadow so you can read it on both dark and light backgrounds. It doesn't have to be much, just a hint of black so the white doesn't get lost in the light backgrounds. I see a lot of people either forget to do this or just not think of it in the first place, and it becomes annoying to try and read the text.

Correct. It is not supposed to like like an obvious HDR. Look at how dark the umbrella is in the other shot - that is why I had to go HDR - to get enough light everywhere.

As for the text: it is OK in the native 12x18 print - it just looks odd this small :)

anvilimage
160 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2009 17:36 |  #5

I think the size of the text is fine, but have you though about maybe adding a translucent colored bar across the bottom of the pic as a container for the text?

-joe

Joe Ercoli
My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com (external link)
My Flickr Photostream (external link)

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 14, 2009 17:38 |  #6

I tried a few options, and at full size, what I have really is the best. ;)

AlphaChicken
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 14, 2009 21:27 |  #7

You obviously did not at ALL read what I said...it captures the whole dynamic range...this has absolutely nothing to do with detail in the umbrella as it is a midtone...HDR allows the camera to capture the extra few stops of shadows and highlights in an image that would usually be clipped off on the histogram.

in a controlled lighting situation, the camera should be able to capture the whole dynamic range on its own without HDR as you can control the extreme ends of the lighting.

If you read what I said, it is obvious that you were not going for the tonemapped tradit. HDR look. Last line of what I wrote.

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 14, 2009 21:46 |  #8

AlphaChicken wrote in post #7326912 (external link)
You obviously did not at ALL read what I said...it captures the whole dynamic range...this has absolutely nothing to do with detail in the umbrella as it is a midtone...

in a controlled lighting situation, the camera should be able to capture the whole dynamic range on its own without HDR.

I did read all of what you said and the fact still remains: the camera can ONLY pick up the full range IF that range is illuminated and, as I said, I had not more light to use. HDR can be used as an alternative to increasing the exposure in a shot to bring out brightness of a specific area - which, invariably increases the noise ratio in that area.

If I wanted to pick up the DETAIL in the umbrella I would have a smaller f-stop - I wanted the umbrella in the shadows BRIGHTER and hence, the HDR. It is really straight forward. To further illustrate my point, here is a before and after. The standard shot (the center of this bracketed set) was lit for the model BUT far and away too dark for the rest of the scene behind her. Creating a 3-step HDR that has not been OVER COOKED achieves this beautifully.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i211.photobucke​t.com …P/Photos/August​-800BA.jpg (external link)

I am pleased that you like the shot but brow beating me about my (perfectly usable and appropriate) use of HDR serves no purpose. ;)

Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 14, 2009 22:43 |  #9

The HDR REALLY brings out the drink on the left...

:)

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 14, 2009 22:45 |  #10

Toeslider wrote in post #7327213 (external link)
The HDR REALLY brings out the drink on the left...

:)

Hahahaha! That is amazing, is it not!? Great catch ....

AlphaChicken
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 15, 2009 08:28 |  #11

I was not browbeating you...and you are correct it did work quite well...If you actually did read my first i was rather curious as to why you decided to use HDR hence the question.

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 15, 2009 09:57 |  #12

would it be safe to assume then that the OP used HDR to sort of clean up the shot and even out all the tones?? i understand why he used it for the shot, look at the original and the then the final output.. there is a huge difference... maybe we just found another great use for HDR?

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 15, 2009 11:35 |  #13

Now did you actually bracket the shots through the camera or do a single exposure and create the -+ from the single image? This shot could of be achieved with the proper lighting. If this was created from a single image then it is a pseudo HDR. Which is nothing other then a tone mapped image. Don't get me wrong the image is stunningly detailed great job, I just hate when people think that merging 3 bracketed shot of any scene will automatically make it an HDR image, or HDR from a single image is still not HDR. Seeing that it is movable object you created it from a single shot to have it look so sharp.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 15, 2009 11:41 |  #14

S.E.V. wrote in post #7329785 (external link)
This shot could of be achieved with the proper lighting.

Beau Hudspeth wrote in post #7320861 (external link)
Being shot in my garage while it is 40° outside (52° in the garage) I had very limited space as well as lights - and this shoot took all that I have.

Come on man, it's a thread with 13 posts. Is it too much to ask to actually read the thread before responding?

AlphaChicken
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 15, 2009 11:48 |  #15

Toeslider wrote in post #7329824 (external link)
Come on man, it's a thread with 13 posts. Is it too much to ask to actually read the thread before responding?

meaning? I think S.E.V. is right...HDR is for capturing scenes with a HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE...a controlled indoor shot with the proper lighting should not need HDR to bring out all the details...

sponsored links

4,442 views & 0 likes for this thread
Models in HDR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.