Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 13 Feb 2009 (Friday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Models in HDR

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 15, 2009 11:55 |  #16

Toeslider wrote in post #7329824 (external link)
Come on man, it's a thread with 13 posts. Is it too much to ask to actually read the thread before responding?

O I read it alright. I'm stating the truth here pal. Is it too much to ask that people also get the correct understanding of when and when NOT to use HDR??????? Tell me that this shot could not of been achieved with the proper lighting? I understand that he had limited space and he used a technique to make the shot look much better. But it is not HDR!

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

sponsored links
Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 15, 2009 12:02 |  #17

Did either of you read anything in this thread? He says right in the first post that he had limited space and lights! Of course you could make the same shot without any post production IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT GEAR, which he stated he did NOT, so he chose this as an alternative to achieve the same results.

Canon XTi, 18-55mm kit IS and non, 10-22mm, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 580EX
Sigma SD14, 18-125mm DG, 20-40mm f/2.8 EX

S.E.V.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 15, 2009 13:55 |  #18

Yes we did READ THE TREAD! Obviously I was stating something and making it clear that the image was not truly an High Dynamic Range Image. Just cause you take three images and merge them together you can automatically call it HDR. It is a tone mapped image. There are also is alternative options for lighting it tight place over the big bulky umbrellas and lights.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 15, 2009 15:22 |  #19

S.E.V. wrote in post #7330475 (external link)
Yes we did READ THE TREAD! Obviously I was stating something and making it clear that the image was not truly an High Dynamic Range Image. Just cause you take three images and merge them together you can automatically call it HDR. It is a tone mapped image. There are also is alternative options for lighting it tight place over the big bulky umbrellas and lights.

Ok.

I'll say it again for you, real slow, so you can understand it.

You said: "This shot could of be achieved with the proper lighting." (its right there in post number 12).

In the next post, mine, I pointed out to you through the use of quotes that the original poster stated he did not have the correct lighting to accomplish what he wanted to do, (He stated this in the first post of the thread, when he said "I had very limited space as well as lights - and this shoot took all that I have.") and that you would have known this had you carefully read the whole thread.

I never questioned whether it's technically HDR or not, all I said is that you are responding to a thread without reading the information that is obviously there.

The original poster has stated that they could not get the results they wanted with the lights they had available to them. You responded that this image could be exposed the way he wanted with the correct lights. Can you explain to me how that is a viable solution to the original posters problem? He has stated that he doesn't have enough lights available to him, yet you suggest he use more lights. How does that help?

AlphaChicken
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 15, 2009 15:38 |  #20

We never said that his solution was not viable....

We said that the image does not have a high dynamic range...there is a huge difference. Maybe you should learn what a high dynamic range is before you tell people that they are wrng.

I am leaving this thread now. I hate that it turned so negative. It all started with me just asking a simple question about why HDR was used... w/e. You may have read but as far as comprehension you are dead in the water...

I am Henry. NOT Hank. And certainly not a length of rope tied in a knot. ;)
My family calls me Hen, but you can call me Chicken. See you out there!
|Deviant Art (external link)
|Facebook (external link)|Gear List

S.E.V.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 15, 2009 17:05 |  #21

AlphaChicken wrote in post #7330887 (external link)
We never said that his solution was not viable....

We said that the image does not have a high dynamic range...there is a huge difference. Maybe you should learn what a high dynamic range is before you tell people that they are wrong.

I am leaving this thread now. I hate that it turned so negative. It all started with me just asking a simple question about why HDR was used... w/e. You may have read but as far as comprehension you are dead in the water...

I second that, I'm unsubscribing from this post. Learn then post.

Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 15, 2009 17:11 |  #22

I don't know how to make it any clearer. I'm not arguing about the definition of HDR. I'm arguing the point that both you guys suggested that this image could be made without post-processing with better lighting or use of more lights, and that the original poster stated in his first post that he did not have the required lights to make that happen. I don't see how that is so hard to understand.

Lizard ­ Frenzy
29 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 16, 2009 23:12 |  #23

AlphaChicken wrote in post #7329852 (external link)
meaning? I think S.E.V. is right...HDR is for capturing scenes with a HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE...a controlled indoor shot with the proper lighting should not need HDR to bring out all the details...

So? It looks good, he didn't have the necesary lights, and this is supposedly the best that he was going to get?

It looks good! So WHAT is the problem? Does it matter HOW he got there, as long as he got there?

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 17, 2009 12:06 |  #24

really... who the heck cares how/what/why? the point is that the final image is pleasing to look at.. all those who think they are right all the time and so all knowing should be out making $$$ with all that knowlege instead of looging onto the internet and arguing over stupid things like thhis.. c'mon!!

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

AlphaChicken
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 17, 2009 12:12 |  #25

I never insisted I was right, never said his images was bad, rather if you check, it started with a question. Since the image WAS so good, I had no real critique to give it, so I asked what his purpose in using HDR was.

Please just use some simple logic and let this argument die. And who the heck gives a flying crap in hell about the comment you posted? It wasnt helpful in the least to this topic. Use some logic...its a really nice thing.

I am Henry. NOT Hank. And certainly not a length of rope tied in a knot. ;)
My family calls me Hen, but you can call me Chicken. See you out there!
|Deviant Art (external link)
|Facebook (external link)|Gear List

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 17, 2009 12:37 |  #26

AlphaChicken wrote in post #7344873 (external link)
And who the heck gives a flying crap in hell

lol,lol,lol,lol... gotcha! ;)

My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

joruiz
Goldmember
1,619 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 20, 2009 01:12 |  #27

I haven't seen a helpful comment from you zacker.

I have to agree with the other two guys. This is not HDR, he used tonemapping for a somewhat good result. I'm not even sure that it looks "so good" as others say.. in my humble opinion.

I think the original photo looks better, but it's underexposed. If he exposed correctly for the light he had available, The picture would have been much better, no need at all for tonemapping, he would have more contrast (less of a flat image).

But it's a good experiment I guess.

Cantisani
my facebook profile (external link) |

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 20, 2009 02:55 |  #28

joruiz wrote in post #7365393 (external link)
I think the original photo looks better, but it's underexposed. If he exposed correctly for the light he had available ...

Ok. I'm going to reply to this and then un-subscribe from MY OWN THREAD because some can not wrap their heads around the use of HDR that does not fit the basic look that people expect to see in an HDR image.

I will lay this out REALLY simply so all can see the reasoning for shooting this the way it was.

The Problem: I need to reproduce summertime, low-horizon light conditions with limited space and lighting.

1. The camera is mounted on a weighted tripod 8' off of the ground with shutter release attached.
    • This is to provide as much of the models figure in the frame and not just have her taking up the center 1/3 as it would have been if shot from ground level.

2. A ladder was used to reach the camera at that height.
    • The ladders feet are at the max distance from the model and against an immovable object.

3. I have my Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro AT-X PRO D (external link) attached to my 5D
    • This is my best lens and the only one that has a max aperture of 2.8.
    • I need all the light I can bring in to keep shutter speeds up.
    • This lens costs $300.00 and is NOT 'L' quality glass.

4. The image is supposed to look like summer morning/evening at the beach - not mid-day.
    • That means that the sun in lower on the horizon casting light onto the underside of the umbrella.

5. The sun is very bright.
    • The brighter and larger the light source is, the less harsh shadow it casts.

6. This is shot in my garage/studio.
  7. The outside temperature was 42° +/- 2°
  8. The temp in the garage was just under 54° - the model/client was cold and shivering some.
  9. The final print will be 12'x18' so the image HAD to be sharp.
    • A higher shutter speed had to be used to reduce the possibility for blur.
    • This was shot at 100mm, meaning I had to be 12'-15' from the scene to get it all in frame.
    • The greater the distance from the focal point of the scene the more likely motion can be an issue in sharpness.

10. I have a total of 2000 hot-light watts that I can 'throw' at the scene.
  11. 1000 watts of that light are affixed to the ceiling and can not be lowered - only directed.
    • Those lights are 3 feet in front of the models feet and 9' feet up.

12. The umbrella in the BG is 8' wide.
  13. The garage it 9' wide.
  14. The light from the upper lights do not shine under the umbrella and only on the model.
  15. The second light is a 1000 watt medium photoflex starlight softbox set an floor level and shooting directly at the scene from center.
  16. This light is 5' from the models feet to keep it out of frame.
Test shots concluded that: for the shot to be illuminated correctly with the above setup, without the creation of dark areas and unacceptable shadows, no combination of shutter and aperture was feasible.

The Solution: Shoot the image as a three image -2,0,+2 HDR, thus reducing the amount of light required to illuminate the underside of the umbrella, reducing shadows and increasing the available shutter speed to a high enough point as to remove blur.

The Result: The highest dynamic range of the scene, as provided by the illumination from the above lighting setup, and as captured by all three images, provides enough mid-level lighting as to defeat the shadow issue while providing proper brightness to the hat and also allowing for the darker sections to remain that - dark.

... Continuation to follow ...

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

Beau ­ Hudspeth
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Cool Title-
2,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 20, 2009 02:59 as a reply to  @ Beau Hudspeth's post |  #29

... Continuation ...

The results fall completely into the definition of HDR as provided by Wikipedia, English:

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia wrote:

In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques. The intention of HDRI is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows.

This ends the laborious and needlessly long explanation of the process, reasoning, and setup for this shot; in which the end results were both appealing as well as firmly within the range and designated intended use of HDR in digital photography.

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 20, 2009 06:14 |  #30

Beau Hudspeth wrote in post #7365656 (external link)
... Continuation ...

The results fall completely into the definition of HDR as provided by Wikipedia, English:

This ends the laborious and needlessly long explanation of the process, reasoning, and setup for this shot; in which the end results were both appealing as well as firmly withing the range and designated intended use of HDR in digital photography.

Ha ha ha..Awesome for you... I agree with everything you said and did.. screw em all if they dont understand... everyone is so quick to jump on the band wagon of "Photographic know-it-allity" that they cant even just look at a good photo anymore without trying to rip it apart for the smallest thing..and "whoa, did he say he used HDR? Why the nerve of this guy... using a perfectly acceptable style of Photography to achieve the end result he was going for"... "I know he said he didnt have any good or enough lighting to make this shot in the area he was in with the conditions he had to work with but I dont see why he didnt just use more lighting and expose it properly" seriously... why are SOOOOO many members here such know it all when it comes to Photography? I mean... a great photo is a great photo, wether its done in the camera, dark room or PC... if its a great shot, its a great shot... get over yourselves already, Please.. or go log onto Photo.net with the other photograpy gods!!

"UNSUBSCRIBED" :p

sponsored links

4,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
Models in HDR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.