Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Feb 2009 (Saturday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Comparing the Phottix BP-40D grip to the BG-E2

Bucster
439 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 14, 2009 13:45 |  #1

Here are a series of pictures of the Phottix BP-40D with the Canon BG-E2, the Phottix is on the left and the Canon is on the right.

Here is my non-technical review of the Phottix grip versus the Canon Grip. A couple of things first. First, my Canon grip is the BG-E2 not the BG-E2n, correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference between the BG-E2 and the BG-E2n is the sealing around the battery door. Second, I have had my grip for some time now and it is a little worn.

Ok let me know if there are gross errors and I will correct my review.

Pros:
> Cost. I paid $80 for the grip and 2 non-oem BP511a battery packs.
> It works, in all seriousness the grip functions in the exact same way as the Canon grip. Some threads say that the grip fails to keep the FPS rate as compared to the Canon grip (40D). I did not notice any difference in the FPS with the Phottix grip. I do not have access to a 40D or 50D to compare FPS. If you want to send me your copy of the 40D or 50D for lengthy testing, I would be happy to take it off your hands for a few weeks.
> It comes with the AA battery tray.
> It looks OEM, as you can see from the photos there is very little visual difference between the Canon and the Phottix grip. It would be difficult to impossible for a casual observer to know the difference.
> Weather sealing. There is a minor amount of sealing around the battery door, it's questionable on how effective it is. This being said, my BG-E2 has even less sealing.
> Mounting. The tightness of the grip against the body is as good as the Canon grip, although I have never been completely satisfied with the Canon tightness. If your OK with the Canon mounting you'll be equally satisfied with the Phottix mounting.

In my opinion the grip is so similar to the Canon I cannot list any more specific pros.

Cons:
> It takes some time to get here from Hong Kong, I ordered the grip on 01-27-09 and received it on 02-14-09.
> The on/off dial on the grip isn't and finished as the Canon's. It seems as though there is a trim piece on the Canon's on/off dial and the Phottix is just recessed.
> The on/off dial doesn't have as positive of an engagement as compared to the Canon. When I turn the Canon switch on and off there is a more solid feel as it goes from position to position. The Phottix feels a bit rubbery in comparison.
> While the dial on the grip works fine, it does seem to have less resistance to turning as compared to the Canon. It is as though there was less spring pressure against the wheel, allowing it to turn with less resistance.
> The buttons also have the same feel as the wheel. While the buttons pushed smoothly, they seem to offer less resistance to being depressed. I like the stronger feedback the Canon gives me in comparison. This is not present in the shutter release, it feels as good as the Canon's.

In conclusion:
Like the Canon grip you can mount this on a wide range of xxD bodies, if you're hands are as large as mine or you do a lot of vertical shooting I would highly recommend this grip as a much lower cost alternative to the Canon OEM grip. Not only do you get the grip but you get two batteries to put in the grip. I cannot attest to the longevity of the grip or the batteries and if they fail me as I use them I will report on it.

Let me know your opinions on this matter.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Richard
Gear List
TPDphoto.com (external link)
MyPhotoStudio.org (external link)

sponsored links
dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 14, 2009 21:52 |  #2

Thanks for posting this. I'll definitely consider the Phottix.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 14, 2009 21:59 |  #3

thanks for the review! would be interesting to see what your experiences are a year from now...but it's very, very tempting.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

cliffy50
63 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 15, 2009 09:37 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #4

Thanks for the review. I too just received a Phottix grip to use with my XSI. I do not have any experience with other grips. I do like the feel this unit has, it feels well built and fits the camera very well. All function buttons work as they should, the wheel has a bit less distinctive "click" to it than does the camera. The rubbery non slip has a very good tactile feel to it. It does balnce the camera better when my longer lenses are attached. I made my decision based on cost, $70.00 which included two batteries. I can now shop for a flash unit .
The printed directions contain the line " Thank You for purchasing a Canon product" ,...... I wonder if one factory makes these grips for Canon and other manufacturers or is it a copy of the Canon directions?

70D, Tamron 17-50, 50 f/1.8. Tamron 24-135, 70-300 IS, 430EX II

bizzum
89 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 15, 2009 10:38 as a reply to  @ cliffy50's post |  #5

I also have this grip. I have had it since October 08 and it works as advertised. I only paid around $40 for it when the live.com rebates were in effect, and I cannot imagine why the Canon grip is 3X the price as I have played with the Canon and they feel like the exact same product. After 4 months with this grip I have had no problems and I would suggest it to anyone over the Canon version. I got mine from ebay seller etefore and I got it in about 1.5 weeks from HK to MN.

-Matt

40D / Sigma 24-60 F2.8 EX / 70-200 2.8L / Tokina 17 2.8 / Auto Sears 55 1.4 / Filters & Cards / Phottix Grip / Sigma EF-530DG Super Flash/ YN-460 / RF-602 / Stands, umbrellas, dishes
My Site (external link)

clengster_77
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 15, 2009 10:47 |  #6

bucster, i have a question. i also have the phottix for my 5d. do you notice when the grip is installed that it eats up the battery faster? i think mine does...

Canon 5D x 2
16 - 35L mk1 + 85 1.2L FD + 70 - 200 2.8L
50 1.4 + 85 1.8 + 580 EX + 420 EX + 055ProB + 488Rc2

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 15, 2009 10:55 |  #7

Nice comparison.

Just FYI though, I had a grip on my 5DC for about a year. I don't baby my stuff when I'm out using it and it was worn against my outerwear / jackets / jeans, etc, while on a strap. My Canon BG-E4 grip had a LOT of wear apparent where the finish came off wherever it made contact. The camera itself did not show any of this -- leading me to believe the two are made of different materials or finishes.

So while your third-party grip shows wear, so will the Canon.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 15, 2009 11:06 |  #8

hmm...wow...the Canadian price (on ebay.ca) for it is about $93 CDN shipped...pretty much half of what I paid for a BG-E2N, and that was a crazy deal.

Bucster: the weather sealing on my N looks pretty flimsy too...I just about fell over laughing when I first saw it.

-=Gear=-

Bucster
THREAD ­ STARTER
439 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 15, 2009 12:59 |  #9

clengster_77 wrote in post #7329546 (external link)
bucster, i have a question. i also have the phottix for my 5d. do you notice when the grip is installed that it eats up the battery faster? i think mine does...

I have never had a problem with battery life, I generally charge all of my batteries once every two weeks or before a big shoot. I have never run out of juice on a shoot with or without the grip. We'll see how the Phottix batteries hold up.

Richard
Gear List
TPDphoto.com (external link)
MyPhotoStudio.org (external link)

AustinRoepke
194 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 15, 2009 17:38 |  #10

Has anyone tried out Opteka's grip??

Link:
http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1234741​087&sr=1-8 (external link)

Camera: Canon 30D Gripped
Flash: Canon 420EX

Lenses: Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 50 f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200 f/4L

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 15, 2009 18:12 |  #11

AustinRoepke wrote in post #7331517 (external link)
Has anyone tried out Opteka's grip??

Link:
http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1234741​087&sr=1-8 (external link)

Nice! Any idea what the shipping may be? I think the Phottix may be a better deal for $93 CDN (ebay.ca) shipped with 2 knock-off BP-511s

-=Gear=-

AustinRoepke
194 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 15, 2009 18:21 |  #12

LowriderS10 wrote in post #7331700 (external link)
Nice! Any idea what the shipping may be? I think the Phottix may be a better deal for $93 CDN (ebay.ca) shipped with 2 knock-off BP-511s

Yeah, here's the link for the grip with 2 2000mAh batteries:
http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1234743​592&sr=1-9 (external link)

It's the same, just with two Opteka batteries for another $20 US.

Camera: Canon 30D Gripped
Flash: Canon 420EX

Lenses: Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 50 f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200 f/4L

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 15, 2009 18:32 |  #13

AustinRoepke wrote in post #7331741 (external link)
Yeah, here's the link for the grip with 2 2000mAh batteries:
http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1234743​592&sr=1-9 (external link)

It's the same, just with two Opteka batteries for another $20 US.

Hmm...nice...just checked, it's an extra 10 bucks for shipping...so that's $124 CDN shipped...wonder if it's worth the extra 31 bucks over the Phottix one...

-=Gear=-

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 15, 2009 19:04 |  #14

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the thread, Kerrisdale Cameras stores in the Vancouver area (Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, Coquitlam, North Vancouver et al) are currently selling the Canon BG-E2N grip for $99.00 (plus tax of course).

Just something to think about. Don't know what their shipping policy is though.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 15, 2009 19:24 |  #15

no...freaking...way hahaha....damnnnnn is it a limited time/offer thing? My brother lives in Van...thinking I might get him to pick one of those bad boys up ;) It's worth the extra few bucks to have the buttons/dial feel nicer...

EDIT: where did you see it? I'm on their website and they don't have a listing for a BG-E2 at all...

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

18,148 views & 0 likes for this thread
Comparing the Phottix BP-40D grip to the BG-E2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.