Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Feb 2009 (Monday) 08:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lighting kit purchase advice

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 16, 2009 08:24 |  #1

Hello fellow potn members,

I've been digging into the usual "ultimate" discussions, and I was surprised to see nobody dreamed up a thread for ultimate lighting (maybe it's just buried deep in the archives). I'm a new and growing wedding photog. Business has been great and so the opening of a studio location is in the works. I've been doing strobist lighting until now and the tear-up and tear-down process has been growing tiring. The strobes have proven very efficient yeilding more than adequate results (for my on-location needs), but I'll need to go bigger and more versatile with monolights and their associated modifiers for the studio. I have a local, private investor ready to help fund some equipment upgrades and so budget is not going to be as pressing a factor as it once was.

I'll be needing equipment that will stand against time and use. I want tools that are rugged and reliable. I'd like a strong range of modifiers, but I am bewildered by the vast array that any new buyer would discover (i.e. beauty dishes, grids, barndoors). I don't want to go overkill in this area as it seems it wouldn't take long to fill up the shopping cart with these. But only the proven makes and brands will do as I won't have time to experiment with this stuff.

If anybody could break the market down for me and create "the ultimate, general purpose lighting rig" for everything from portraits to groups, please share. Some of you have such a fantasy rig tucked away somewhere in your brain and I'd appreciate it if you could list it off and share it. Kit/combo packages are welcome suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance!
-Jon

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 16, 2009 08:43 |  #2

Check out this good setup from Scott Kelby

http://www.scottkelby.​com/blog/2008/archives​/1155 (external link)

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 16, 2009 08:57 |  #3

great link, Damian. This is perfect! I'm glad the Elinchrom RX600 is mentioned because I've seen these in use they looked like solid performers and something I might base my setup around. This rig looks very affordable. Thank you.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 16, 2009 09:13 |  #4

no problem best of luck

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 16, 2009 09:27 |  #5

wow, i have universal skyports, but the RX factor has me very intrigued. Quote from the review:

"The fact that with Elinchrom RX strobes, I can control the power of each strobe right from the transmitter on top of my camera. If I want the hair light down a half-a-stop, I can do it without leaving my camera position. If I want the background light brighter, it’s just two clicks."

All I have to say is SOLD.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 16, 2009 12:04 |  #6

Pearlallica wrote in post #7335873 (external link)
wow, i have universal skyports, but the RX factor has me very intrigued. Quote from the review:

"The fact that with Elinchrom RX strobes, I can control the power of each strobe right from the transmitter on top of my camera. If I want the hair light down a half-a-stop, I can do it without leaving my camera position. If I want the background light brighter, it’s just two clicks."

All I have to say is SOLD.

what I really like is the skyport USB don-gal and there software that is free you can control all your strobes from the computer and even store preset configs complete with light layout diagrams so if you have a few different lighting setups you use alot you can just move your lights around then just click the preset on the computer bam all you lights are setup plus once you have all the ratios set you can do an adjust all if you need to bring everything up of down a little.

Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lighting kit purchase advice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.