Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 17 Feb 2009 (Tuesday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Canon D10 waterproof Powershot

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 17, 2009 22:39 |  #1

http://www.dpreview.co​m …0902/09021805ca​nond10.asp (external link)

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

sponsored links
brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 17, 2009 23:00 |  #2

strange design if you ask me..

Brian C - Alpha Auto Spa (external link)
5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 17, 2009 23:03 |  #3

hmm...that's kinda cool...at least Canon's competing in a new (to Canon) market...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

butangviber
144 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 17, 2009 23:59 |  #4

I think its a great step, but I prefer the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. Its been out for over a year. Really nice camera and takes great pictures in and out of the water.

Jed - My Flickr (external link)

avarela86
203 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 18, 2009 00:27 |  #5

butangviber wrote in post #7349765 (external link)
I think its a great step, but I prefer the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. Its been out for over a year. Really nice camera and takes great pictures in and out of the water.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the Olympus Water cameras. Some are just but there are more that simply fail and let water in. When I researched it I found something like 7 our of 10 had issues so I said not worth the risk.

Looking forward to the reviews on this little thing. Would make a nice point and shoot to have so I dont have to take the SLR everywhere.

[Alfredo]
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=810339

Collin85
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 18, 2009 00:38 |  #6

I think this is a winner. The design is decent and Canon has a very good reputation when it comes to executing their P&S models. Although I prefer the spec sheets of other brands such as Panasonic, Canon continually churns out reliable point and shoots with very good image output, usability and metering. Good on Olympus for selling in the waterproof niche all this time, but I had always been waiting for Canon to join the party.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 18, 2009 00:40 |  #7

Looks a lot like the Fisher-Price Kid Tough Digital Camera (external link) to me.

Seriously though why does it have to look like a kid's camera? At least the Olympus' look like an adult camera that's simply reinforced.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 18, 2009 00:44 |  #8

possibly because it's mainly aimed at a younger generation of photographers? You know, the teens taking it to the beach, a pool party, etc...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 18, 2009 00:47 |  #9

Yeah that's right. Because a camera has to look like a bar of soap if it's gonna be at the beach. In the meantime, it looks out of place everywhere else.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 18, 2009 10:53 |  #10

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …goryid=2590&mod​elid=18332 (external link)

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ValS
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 18, 2009 13:24 |  #11

Yes, it may look funny, but I wouldn't care if it takes good pictures and is convenient to use. FWIW, The lens spec seems better than the comparable Fuji and Olympus.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 18, 2009 13:29 |  #12

ValS wrote in post #7353114 (external link)
Yes, it may look funny, but I wouldn't care if it takes good pictures and is convenient to use. FWIW, The lens spec seems better than the comparable Fuji and Olympus.

What Fuji do you consider comparable? If you're talking about the Z33WP, I agree. It also looks like a bar of soap though. I'd probably go for an Olympus though if I knew I was abusing my camera a lot. You don't really need (or want) a fast lens in broad daylight so that's kinda moot. Downside is they suck at night. I'm not on the beach much so my standard Fuji is fine. And it looks like a real camera.

ValS
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 18, 2009 13:43 |  #13

Yes, Z33WP. I actually don't mind the toy-like dinky appearance, that may help deter theft in places where camera is hard to hide (like my wife's bikini :-D)

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2009 14:21 |  #14

I'm going to be interested to see this one. The price tag seems high to me since I can grab an excellent A series and a Canon housing for about $300 already.

Love to lay hands on one of these guys, but not sure I'll be popping for the $329...

Kristin

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Feb 18, 2009 15:02 |  #15

cdifoto wrote in post #7349969 (external link)
Seriously though why does it have to look like a kid's camera? At least the Olympus' look like an adult camera that's simply reinforced.

Duh... so it looks sexy upon entry into water! ;)

You can have a Canon that slides smoothly into the water...

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/3290574343_693bc4a439.jpg

Or a camera that...Oh sh*t it's sinking like a rock!!
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/3290574215_37d5788717.jpg

:D

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

sponsored links

62,764 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Canon D10 waterproof Powershot
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.