Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Feb 2009 (Friday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

can canon track stolen equipment?

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 20, 2009 20:10 |  #1

I came across this and found it to be odd, so basically its saying that if someone steals your camera / lens and you report it stolen the person who stole it can send it to canon for repair and they dont even know?

please tell me this is not true, if it is true I am guessing I am not the only one thinks its crazy :)

http://photo.net …gital-camera-forum/00IkII (external link)

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 20, 2009 20:15 |  #2

Not cost effective for Canon to fund and staff such an operation.

As one of the posters in that thread mentions, there's also liablity exposure that I'm sure Canon would not want to have.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tekkie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 20, 2009 20:19 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #7371006 (external link)
As one of the posters in that thread mentions, there's also liablity exposure that I'm sure Canon would not want to have.

yes thats probably the main point, damn Americans and their ridiculous suing everyone for everything lol

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 20, 2009 20:47 |  #4

Its like this with a lot of products. Tens of thousands of manufactures simply won't play cop. Even if they did say check a list of stolen items - an error of somesort could be made and they stand a chance of alienating a customer. Consumer authored lists can be full of fakes and mistakes. The only reliable place to make sure the camera is stolen is to contact the police...and they (example; Canon) aren't goin to do that. There is no one police data base they have access to get that information.

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIO (external link)
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

jft158
455 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 20, 2009 20:58 |  #5

I had seen where Dell has had computers sent in by people unaware they have bought a stolen laptop for repairs and its been reported to Dell as stolen. Dell then called the victim and they are able to get the stolen computer back. I have worked several of these cases. If your equipment is stolen and you have it registered with Cannon, I would call them and let them put a note in the system about it in case its returned for repair.

70d, 1Ds Mark II, Canon 300m 2.8L ,Canon 50 1.8, Canon 70-200 2.8L non-IS, Canon 100-400L, Canon 17-4 ,Canon 135L, Canon 85 1.8,Rokina 14mm fisheye, Canon 24-105L, Pancake 40mm smugmug site (external link)

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 20, 2009 22:34 |  #6

There was a big push here 10-15 years ago to ID everything with your drivers lience # . They gave out pens to write the numbers with .
The police don't / won't check .
I had a three wheel bike and a wire rack stolen - found them at a police auction - they gave them back - but said they don't have man power to check on anything worth less than 1500 - " besides the people don't want them back - insurance has already paid ".
I called the TV station - they were not interested either .

Gear List

sponsored links

3,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
can canon track stolen equipment?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.