Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 22 Feb 2009 (Sunday) 15:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: What more do I need to make 5DII videos work???

smacafee
247 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 25, 2009 15:32 |  #31

I'm really surprised this isn't a sticky. This is by far the most important thread about HD video from the 5D Mark II.

I've found that with the settings tweaked as suggested there is some weird texture-like effect on some stuff. You can see it particularly easily on oof specular highlights because they're so smooth.

I still have to resize the video for editing, but that's ok because you can swap the original in to where the resized one was for exporting full size.

sponsored links
waynesplash
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 27, 2009 11:33 |  #32

smacafee wrote in post #7802410 (external link)
I'm really surprised this isn't a sticky. This is by far the most important thread about HD video from the 5D Mark II.

I've found that with the settings tweaked as suggested there is some weird texture-like effect on some stuff. You can see it particularly easily on oof specular highlights because they're so smooth.

I still have to resize the video for editing, but that's ok because you can swap the original in to where the resized one was for exporting full size.

Yes your right, this has to be a sticky.

I had quite a fast comp before, double core and fast processor; however the HD videos would not play very good on all players, except the one listed with the tweak. Lucky me has bought a new comp, quad core, and now they play on anything.

The HD as they are called, actually seem so good, they come out better that real live, all that has viewed their HD videos will know what I mean.

Wayne

Leex70
200 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2009 13:05 |  #33

mellowd wrote in post #7431268 (external link)
Don't be so quick to reinstall Windows!

The solution is right here:

http://www.snappertalk​.com …-video-playback-with-vlc/ (external link)

I''ll guess this trick will work for video wich come out of my brand new 500D?

If so, thanx in advance, I''ll try it now!

Canon EOS 70D,Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200L F4

@b@b
27 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 08, 2009 03:20 as a reply to  @ waynesplash's post |  #34

I use on other way, I converted the mov-file with AVS video converter to avi (the video codec is in the program).

The file plays perfect than.

gr Ab

Canon EOS 5D MK2, Canon EF 24-105mm F 4.0 L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm F 1.8, Canon EF 70-300mm F 4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 100mm F 2.8 Macro USM, Canon Speedlite 420EX.

My site: www.digital-world.nl (external link)

Leex70
200 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 08, 2009 03:24 |  #35

@b@b wrote in post #7880924 (external link)
I use on other way, I converted the mov-file with AVS video converter to avi (the video codec is in the program).

The file plays perfect than.

gr Ab

Ok thats fine, but do you keep the 1080p resolution?

@b@b
27 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 08, 2009 03:49 as a reply to  @ Leex70's post |  #36

Yes, see the settings below.

You can even combine files

Gr Ab

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Canon EOS 5D MK2, Canon EF 24-105mm F 4.0 L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm F 1.8, Canon EF 70-300mm F 4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 100mm F 2.8 Macro USM, Canon Speedlite 420EX.

Leex70
200 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 08, 2009 05:21 |  #37

I admit, I convert the mov's too! (I owned an SX1, sold it, bought a 500d wich I love) But I allways did it with "4media" wich works excellent. But I missed the option to combine the results. I think I'll give this a try.

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 08, 2009 16:27 |  #38

I haven't read through the whole thread but this is my typical work flow.
Keep in mind that I'm using a Mac Book Pro 2.3Ghz Dual core with 3 Gigs of RAM that I purchased almost 3 years ago.

1. Copy my files to the HD.

2. Convert the files to either Apple Pro Res or DVC Pro at 1080 or 720 to save HD space. Convering to these file types makes huge files! I use compressor to do a batch conversion. Making a droplet really helps with this.

3. Bring them into FCP with matching project setting (Matching Resolution and Codec)

4. Export with Compressor or Final Cut.

If I'm exporting for web upload like Vimeo or YouTube, I'll export it as Quicktime H.264, if I want to play it on my XBOX, I export it as a WMV.

Using the DVCPro or ProRez codec, even 1080p files play very smoothly on my Mac. The files with the native codec do not.

http://www.davecontrer​as.com (external link)

@b@b
27 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 09, 2009 03:27 as a reply to  @ smacafee's post |  #39

Hi,

This is the first movie (short one) with AVS Video Editor.

No problems with rendering etc.

Quality is less because of VIMEO at home it looks perfect.

The video is a test one, so not perfect.

Gr. Ab

http://www.vimeo.com/4​547521 (external link)

MinhThien
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 15, 2009 01:28 |  #40

I use the Quicktime, Nero, and VLC player for my video. The quicktime is one of the best player but my video are not playing smoothly! Anyone know why?

My computer sig:
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
SLI- 2 X 640MB 8800gts Video card
FX-60 Dual core @ 2.86ghz
Memory is 4giz

Eric
5D IV | 35L II | 200L IS | 85L II | 430EX | 190CXPRO4 | 498RC2 | TT Streetwalker Roller| TT Restro 7 | F-stop Kenti |

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,902 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 15, 2009 11:28 |  #41

MinhThien wrote in post #7924937 (external link)
I use the Quicktime, Nero, and VLC player for my video. The quicktime is one of the best player but my video are not playing smoothly! Anyone know why?

Quicktime really isn't that great for HD playback. It has a very inefficient algorithm. XBMC (and Plex for Macs) is far superior because it uses ffmpeg.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

MinhThien
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 16, 2009 01:09 |  #42

Tony-S wrote in post #7927070 (external link)
Quicktime really isn't that great for HD playback. It has a very inefficient algorithm. XBMC (and Plex for Macs) is far superior because it uses ffmpeg.

Then what do you recommend?

Eric
5D IV | 35L II | 200L IS | 85L II | 430EX | 190CXPRO4 | 498RC2 | TT Streetwalker Roller| TT Restro 7 | F-stop Kenti |

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,902 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 16, 2009 08:49 |  #43

XBMC (Win and Mac) or Plex (Mac) since they use ffmpeg.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

blam
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 24, 2009 00:18 |  #44

mellowd wrote in post #7431268 (external link)
Don't be so quick to reinstall Windows!

The solution is right here:

http://www.snappertalk​.com …-video-playback-with-vlc/ (external link)

holy crap

worked like a charm!!!!!

I was nearly ready to throw my computer out the window and even went as far to buy a new video card.

Canon 5D MKII
EF 16-35 F2.8L II | EF 70-200 F2.8L IS | EF 50mm F1.2L | EF 100mm F2.8 Macro
430EX II | 580EX II
http://www.onthelam.caexternal link

olenbay
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2009

May 27, 2009 11:24 |  #45

Hi Blue S2, I have exactly the same issues and I do use Sony Vegas as well; I am really glad to see this post here and thanks for sharing! I will go home tonight and give it a try.

btw, what kind of set up did you do on Sony Vegas in order to edit those 1080 videos?

thanks

olenbay

Blue S2 wrote in post #7431556 (external link)
BINGO!

Instant FIX! Now my videos don't even take more than a second to load up and play perfectly!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Before this, the videos would take forever to load as well. I figured it was due to the 300+ mb size. Now with the VLC option set, videos open and play instantly!

Now its time to get an editor reinstalled on here and start making some music videos!

sponsored links

64,569 views & 0 likes for this thread
What more do I need to make 5DII videos work???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.