Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FAO 50D/5DMkII owners...

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 26, 2009 00:58 |  #1

Quick question.

When you've got it tethered to a laptop or computer, can it be set up so the live view output on the LCD can be seen on the laptop screen real time? And can they be set up so that as it's doing this, any shots taken are stored to the machine's HDD as opposed to the memory card onboard the camera?

Help is appreciated. The requirement comes from a contact looking to buy, with scientific uses. Many thanks. :)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

sponsored links
akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 26, 2009 02:04 |  #2

Yes you can.
Plug your camera in over the USB cable.
When the system prompts, select the EOS utility.
You will have to wait a moment till the camera & computer connect.
In the Eos utility select the option Remote Shootong.

If you want to see the live view picture from your camera, just press the live view button and a window will pop up with the image from the camera.
You can Focus manually using the buttons on the computer.

In Preferences you can select if you want the images stored on the computer HDD or on the camera memory card or both.

When I do tethered shooting, I use Lightroom to immediately view my images as it is more flexible and easier to use than the Canon viewer. There is an option to watch a folder and always display the newest image.

One thing I haven't worked out yet is how to fire flash when using live view.
If anyone can answer this I would be happy.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

lance ­ v
Goldmember
3,542 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 26, 2009 02:27 |  #3

akiwi wrote in post #7409239 (external link)
One thing I haven't worked out yet is how to fire flash when using live view.
If anyone can answer this I would be happy.

Dont you just take the photo like normal?
ive never done it teathered, but done some live view macro work with flash...

Flickr (external link)

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 26, 2009 02:31 |  #4

lance v wrote in post #7409306 (external link)
Dont you just take the photo like normal?
ive never done it teathered, but done some live view macro work with flash...

I have tried it a couple of times when doing a studio session, e.g. when I wanted to shoot form a high or low angle, or holding the camera directly over someone. But when I have live view on, the flash doesn't fire. I use an elenchrom skyport to fire my studio lights. I might have to have another play with this.

Peter
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

manipula
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 26, 2009 02:37 |  #5

I take it your experience here is based on the 40D Peter? Tim/Tonnes has just confirmed to me the new 5D does the same, so I'd assume it's a fair guess to say a 50D does it too...

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 26, 2009 02:39 |  #6

10 points and a washing machine.

As the 40 & 50D are basically the same camera I would put my money on a bet that it works the same.

Peter

manipula
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 26, 2009 02:44 |  #7

Thank you Peter. :)

Cheers, Dave.

lance ­ v
Goldmember
3,542 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 26, 2009 02:48 as a reply to  @ manipula's post |  #8

akiwi wrote in post #7409315 (external link)
I have tried it a couple of times when doing a studio session, e.g. when I wanted to shoot form a high or low angle, or holding the camera directly over someone. But when I have live view on, the flash doesn't fire. I use an elenchrom skyport to fire my studio lights. I might have to have another play with this.

haha yeah ive never actually done it with studio lights.....might have to give it ago some time:p keep ya posted

Flickr (external link)

wardie
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 26, 2009 04:43 |  #9

Answer to Flash not firing with Liveview. I also can confirm that the 40D works Liveview tethered

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=647920

Wardie
30D w/Grip,
40D w/Grip, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-400L,
Accessories - Kenko Pro 300DG 2x, Sunpack 4205G Flash
Gallery (external link)

crt-d
117 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2009 16:39 |  #10

you'll need latest version of eos utility and make sure not to set liveview mode 1 or 2

sponsored links

1,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
FAO 50D/5DMkII owners...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.