Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 07:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

16-35 II for Macro

Kruzkal
393 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 26, 2009 07:19 |  #1

Hi,

I am a new proud owner of a 16-35 II. I know it is compatible with macro extention tubes so I was wondering how well does it work as a macro lens?

Anybody tried it and have some samples?

:D

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 26, 2009 07:59 |  #2

Typically you will want something with a longer focal length for macro work, but you can use extension tubes with this lens to allow for closer focusing distances. With a wide-angle lens like the 16-35, close up focusing usually translates into distortion in the image.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 26, 2009 10:44 |  #3

I tried it when shooting flowers, sometimes I like to be up close and wide but it didn't work. The lens that close, completely covered the flower and shadowed too much of the light. I mean I could use it but I was better off with my 35L and an extension tube doing the same thing; I guess it's about the physical size and distance from the sensor which makes the lens an inch or two closer with the 16-35II which made it not work very well. I didn't measure these distances so I'm guessing that's the reason but all I know is I tried it several times and abandoned the idea.

Kruzcal you might be able to use it at it's longer focal lengths with an extension tube, it's a pretty amazing lens and it's good to learn all you can do with it.

But I do it all the time with my 24- 70, granted it's a challenge at 24 and might have the same problems.

This was shot at 24mm with the 24-70 with an extension tube, I think I did crop it some and it was lit by window light, shot with a 5D

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i205.photobucke​t.com …usegirl/24-7012mmtube.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

This was shot with the 24-70 @ 43mm using a extension tube on a 5D

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i205.photobucke​t.com …0/palousegirl/T​exture.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

876 views & 0 likes for this thread
16-35 II for Macro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.