Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

question about resolution size and printing

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 03, 2009 17:30 |  #1

Im not sure how to I should size my prints before going to costco and getting them made. Im looking at getting some 4x6 made for now.

Should I:

1) make high resolution JPEGs that are the same size as the RAWs (in other words not resize anything, keep quality at 10, etc). In this case the costco soft ware would "squish" the file into a 4X6....right?

or

2) resize the images to smaller JPEGs to the size I intend to print (4x6), keeping aspect ratio, quality 10 etc.

What are the bad/good of each?

Also, should I change the DPI to anything other then 350?

Thanks all,
Andrew

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,640 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 03, 2009 17:43 |  #2

350 seems a little higher than necessary - I would say that 300 would suffice. Mind you, if you choose Option (1), then the resolution is irrelevant, of course.

My choice is always Option (2), because I like to be able to accurately sharpen my files at print size. However, other people will tell you that Option (1) is better, because it avoids double-resampling of your pixels.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 03, 2009 17:52 |  #3

thanks,

should dpi be changed with the size of image printed?

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,640 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 03, 2009 17:58 |  #4

Well, the only difference between Options (1) and (2) is the specification of a PPI value. If you choose (2) and make your photos 6x4, but don't specify a resolution, then the end result is the same as (1).

So yes, if you choose (2), you need to not only set the width and height, but the resolution as well.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2009 19:42 as a reply to  @ Damo77's post |  #5

I ALWAYS send the full resolution JPGs to Costco, even for little 4x6 prints. They must love me :lol:

And I do Quality 12 :)

EOS_JD
Goldmember
2,925 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 03, 2009 19:53 |  #6

When exporting my image, I output at the required size in pixels. Remember it's not dots per inch but PIXELS per inch. THere is a difference - although in this case I accept we are all meaning the same thing.

Printers print in dpi but images are made of pixels and resolution is measured in ppi.

A 6x4 @300ppi therefore is 6x300=1800 pixels by 4x300 = 1200pixels.

Resize your images to 1800x1200 and you will have the correct size to print your 6x4s at the optimum resolution for print. I never go above 300ppi and often print at 240ppi - the human eye would struggle to see the difference.

With regards to jpg quality, if you save the image out straight from the raw, 10 is fine and you will see no difference in the look of the image but you will see a dramatic reduction in the size (which can be good).

All My Gear
5D MkIII & 5D MKII + Grips | 24-70 f2.8L IS | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 04, 2009 15:20 |  #7

thanks all, got the prints yesterday was pleased to see them very close in color to my monitor. A little noise becasue of my crops, but holding them a little futher away from my face they looked fine.

Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links

781 views & 0 likes for this thread
question about resolution size and printing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.