Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beauty Dish for 580EX from

berniesiao
115 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 03, 2009 20:46 |  #1

Has anyone tried out these beauty dish attachments? They're from Viewfinder Photography out of UK.

http://cgi.ebay.com …_RL?hash=item20​0228077208 (external link)

5DII | 24-70/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 17-40/4 | 85/1.2

sponsored links
J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 03, 2009 21:15 |  #2

I would never buy one....:rolleyes:
That thing is never going to give you any type of beauty dish effect.
Maybe remove the center disk and you might have something to hold their colored lenses.
Then again a couple bucks for sheet of Rosco will do that

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 04, 2009 00:54 |  #3

I agree with JK.

For a better deal, try something like this and rig up your own mount. http://cgi.ebay.com …1019&_trksid=p4​634.c0.m14 (external link)

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 15, 2012 16:17 |  #4

I know J Kacey mentioned that your first link would not give any beauty dish effect.

Forgive my ignorance but why is that? To me it looks like it bounces a speedlight like any other beauty dishes. Is there something I'm missing?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 15, 2012 16:20 |  #5

Candid wrote in post #15250134 (external link)
I know J Kacey mentioned that your first link would not give any beauty dish effect.

Forgive my ignorance but why is that? To me it looks like it bounces a speedlight like any other beauty dishes. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm just guessing because the link isnt there anymore but its probably regarding size. As beauty dishes gained popularity there were a lot of companies producing 4 or 6 inch "speedlight" beauty dishes. All they would do is eat flash power.

Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 15, 2012 16:28 |  #6

Since the OP had mentioned the company, I though he meant this unit

http://www.viewfinderp​hotography.co.uk …able-fitting-adaptor.html (external link)

Or the larger one

http://www.viewfinderp​hotography.co.uk …able-fitting-adaptor.html (external link)

Which seems pretty sizeable

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 15, 2012 16:42 |  #7

http://www.viewfinderp​hotography.co.uk …cts/Mini-Beauty-Dish.html (external link)

or maybe this.... in the 3 years this thread has languished product lines can grow.

Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 15, 2012 16:52 |  #8

Indeed.

Some of us are just a bit slow. Definately think I'd go large for a more diffuse light. Couple that with a cheap ebay adapter and your laughing

http://www.ebay.com …ories&hash=item​3cc900e1bf (external link)

Dont see a dual speedlight version right enough. Led to believe if shooting into the sun a twin speedlight is a must

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 15, 2012 18:22 |  #9

Candid wrote in post #15250257 (external link)
Indeed.

Some of us are just a bit slow. Definately think I'd go large for a more diffuse light. Couple that with a cheap ebay adapter and your laughing

http://www.ebay.com …ories&hash=item​3cc900e1bf (external link)

Dont see a dual speedlight version right enough. Led to believe if shooting into the sun a twin speedlight is a must

Beauty dishes are the most misunderstood modifiers out there. They are often misused. Shooting into the sun requires a lot of power. Depending on the effect you want even two speedlites may leave you short on power.

AdoriaPhotography
55 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 18, 2012 17:18 |  #10

I have the Kacey 22" dish with a double speedlight bracket which works well with a 580EXII and we use it both in the studio and outdoors.
I took it along yesterday on a number of family portrait shoots (two separate parties of 10+ family members) at a nearby park where the contrasty midday to mid afternoon ambient lighting was sure to prove challenging. The quick peek I had last night at the raw images looked much better than I expected for the conditions. When my wife catches up on a large post processing backlog, I'll post some on our blog and facebook page. The Kacey dish and bracket is a lot more expensive than the cheaper ebay alternative I was going to buy, but I'm glad I made the investment after seeing good reviews on this forum - it does the job nicely and is built to last.

Regards, Steve - Adoria Photography (external link)
---------------
5d MKii | 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM ii | 24-70mm F2.8L | 50 F1.4 | 28-135 IS USM | Phottix Odin | Phottix Strato ii | 580ex2 | 430ex2 | 2 x YN-560ii | Kacey Beauty Reflector

sponsored links

4,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beauty Dish for 580EX from
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.