Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 05 Mar 2009 (Thursday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ANother HS Baseball C & C Please

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 05, 2009 20:01 |  #1

This was taken a little earlier in the practice. All of the teams Pitchers are right handed. I wasn't able get relocate to the other side as other practice drills were going on.

50D F/2.8 1/3200 ISO 200 70-200 @ 180mm

Any and all C&C welcome. I really want to help the team out with quality photos.

Thank You

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

sponsored links
JeffCanon
805 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 05, 2009 20:33 |  #2

it's framed well for sportrait; but it seems a bit soft, what focus mode are you using?: And a bit overexposed, and don't forget strighting

Critiques Welcomed
New jeffjarboe.comexternal link Old PBaseexternal linkaka Jeff Canes or JeffCanon
Canon 7D, EOS1, A1, IV Sb, Fuji X-Pro1, Epson R-D1s

laster
46 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 05, 2009 20:50 as a reply to  @ JeffCanon's post |  #3

It does look a bit soft to me too. Maybe you could come up a bit on the aperture without losing the background bokeh and make your subject sharpen up a bit. Also, looks like your horizon is tilted some. Not sure I agree with the overexposed comment. Looks OK on my (uncalibrated) monitor.

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 06, 2009 01:27 |  #4

I have to say this pitcher's posture is quite odd. His feet are turn backwards, his thumb is pointing outward. This is certainly unique. I think the picture should somehow convey the position his is playing.

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 06, 2009 03:23 as a reply to  @ chantu's post |  #5

I see that you use a vignette on your sports shots. I think they would be better without. Just my opinion.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

JeffCanon
805 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 06, 2009 07:00 |  #6

chantu wrote in post #7465499 (external link)
I have to say this pitcher's posture is quite odd.--

is he looking back to first

Critiques Welcomed
New jeffjarboe.comexternal link Old PBaseexternal linkaka Jeff Canes or JeffCanon
Canon 7D, EOS1, A1, IV Sb, Fuji X-Pro1, Epson R-D1s

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 06, 2009 13:27 |  #7

BALK!

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 06, 2009 13:35 |  #8

I would suggest bumping your aperture up to around 5.6ish to get a good sharp focus. Even with that you should be able to keep your shutter speed well about 1/1000 which is plenty fast enough for most outdoor sports.

Also, watch your exposure, His backside looks a little blown out.

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 06, 2009 14:52 |  #9

northpointphoto wrote in post #7468697 (external link)
I would suggest bumping your aperture up to around 5.6ish to get a good sharp focus. Even with that you should be able to keep your shutter speed well about 1/1000 which is plenty fast enough for most outdoor sports.

I have to disagree, when doing single player stuff like this you want DOF and this has nothing to do with the focal point, it's just plain soft. Also, there are MANY times you almost have to have the backside blown out to get proper exposure on the face when dealing with the sun. This could have been fixed by going to the opposite side and shooting into the sun and give a back light to the player making them stick out even more.

Not on my computer with the original files so can't post but here's links...

Kind of like this batter who's backside is blown to get the exposure for his face/front which is the most important part. That back end blowout is a trade off.
http://pa.photoshelter​.com …CCG&I_ID=I0000J​UZw_4zBa3M (external link)

Shooting into the sun, back light - no harsh shadows but yet it seems every year nobody does it much. I am often alone on this side and even had one "pro" tell a player I didn't know what I was doing shooting into the sun because it's "impossible" to do.
http://pa.photoshelter​.com …Q--&I_ID=I0000pN1ZphW_Q9A (external link)

...and remember, Baseball Photography is 90% mental, and the other half is physical
http://pa.photoshelter​.com …Q--&I_ID=I0000OXdp.A0kS50 (external link)

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

chris270
285 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 06, 2009 15:43 |  #10

The photo is definitely soft, looks like focus was missed. Also a very dull and cloudy day by the looks of it. Mike the Veras shot is killer.

Christopher Cecere
My Website (external link) | My Blog (external link)
MaxPreps Galleries (external link) | Sportshooter (external link)
Gear List

Chris ­ Talley
54 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 06, 2009 15:43 |  #11

northpointphoto wrote in post #7468697 (external link)

The uni blown out is the one thing that doesn't bug me about this photo. Like Mike said before me, you often have to blow out white uniforms in order to get proper exposure on the face because of shadows created by the player's cap. The slanted horizon and the softness are much bigger factors hurting the photo.

Also, 1/1000 usually is not enough for baseball. I hate shooting under 1/2000 and prefer to keep my shutter speed around 1/3200

Chris Talley (external link)

DHMN
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 06, 2009 22:53 |  #12

I''m still just a relative newbie learning myself.. but it looks like the focal point is the middle or bottom rather than the facial area.. the mound and legs seem to be the focus of the photo. There's no focus up top.

I'll have the same experience if/when the snow goes away here in Northern Minneosta, but there's something about baseball pictures I don't care for when there's no green grass. Winter can go away anytime soon for me.

EOS 7D Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (1.4 extender outdoors) are the workhorses. 50D for backup, EF 70-300MM USM f/4-5.6 IS, Freelance photographer for local newspapers and my website viewthroughmylens.net (external link)

sponsored links

1,427 views & 0 likes for this thread
ANother HS Baseball C & C Please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.