Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Mar 2009 (Friday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time lapse of growing plant with 30D

flyboy89
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 06, 2009 15:44 |  #1

Hi guys! I borrowed a plant from the University Greenhouse and I want to make a high definition time lapse of it growing up with my 30D. This is going to entail some problems because I am not sure to get a timer set up with it. I have the 30D battery grip so the battery life should be alright for 1000 or 2000 shots. Do you guys have any suggestions for how I can get the timer set up? I don't have a release cable or anything, but I do have the EOS utility. I am also using a macbook, which I will have setup as well.

I would like suggestions for how to get it to record a photo maybe every 2 or 3 hours, without buying expensive hardware, unless of course you can think of some cheap <50 dollar equipment that could help me do this.

Thank you!

sponsored links
Dooms_day
509 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 06, 2009 15:50 |  #2

the software canon gives out for free EOS utility, has a little timer feature where you can set up x ammount of shots and x time in between each shot, i think thats what you're looking for..

Canon EOS-1D mk ii + 70-200 4.0 USM L + Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4 + Nifty 50
500px (external link) - Google+ (external link)

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 06, 2009 15:50 |  #3

EOS utility should be all you need for the capture
http://cpn.canon-europe.com …n_software/eos_​utility.do (external link)
I'd imagine one of the iLife tools that should have come with your Mac can take care of combining the images into a movie.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

flyboy89
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 06, 2009 19:17 |  #4

Thanks guys, the EOS Utility is working pretty well so far. Now I just need to set this thing up in the window. The plant may grow 1 or 2 inches in a day depending on how much sun there is, so hopefully it will turn out ok.

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2009 22:44 |  #5

Adobe Premiere Elements should be able to create a movie from several still images. I haven't tried it but it supports importing jpeg files and choosing the duration of each still image in your movie. The Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 user guide that I have says you need the still image files to use RGB mode for color management and a frame size at least as large as the frame size of your movie but not larger than 4000x4000 pixels.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

kosin
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 06, 2009 22:51 |  #6

here are some links for you:
- http://www.haworth-village.org.uk …ial/making-time-lapse.asp (external link)
- http://photojojo.com …o-time-lapse-photography/ (external link) < - - - read step #5

video on how to create timelapse in Quicktime: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gothcandy/25040​41553/ (external link)

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 08, 2009 11:07 |  #7

I'm interested to see your final results. Post it when you are done.

Another option you could have used is the TC-80N3 wired remote. It has timer features built into it. But it's kind of costly.

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

flyboy89
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 08, 2009 14:24 |  #8

I have already been experimenting with the EOS Utility and using quicktime pro, which I bought. I really like the quicktime pro, but the plant seems to to growing over night as well, so I think I am going to just put my Viviar flash on top with some brand new batteries and take notes on paper instead of on my laptop, especially with the price of that canon remote :O

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 08, 2009 14:29 |  #9

just to tell you, with time lapse, it's better to have too many photos than not enough. 2-3 hours is a bit excessive on the short end, to get a single second of video you need two days.... go for 15min intervals and then you can always speed it up in the processing.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

flyboy89
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 08, 2009 14:43 |  #10

OK I just uploaded one of my attempts so far to Mobile Me, http://gallery.me.com/​ben.villarreal/100571 (external link) so let me know what you guys think. This is not quite the effect I wanted by the way, so I think I may just cut it down to recording 1 image every half hour or 2 hours with the flash. Right now I was doing this at once every 30 seconds at first then the last second or so was at every 1 minute and 30 seconds, but I want the plant growing not just wriggling around :)

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 08, 2009 17:09 |  #11

It's interesting the way plants, which we mostly think of as stationary (except such things as the Venus fly trap and similar) are performing a ballet of movement, only so slowly that we can't detect it with our eyes.

Love your results, even though it wasn't what you were looking for.

flickr (external link)

spife7980
120 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 08, 2009 17:24 |  #12

yeah thats pretty awesome.

40D | 18-55mm IS I 10-22 I| 70-200mm f/4 L USM

kosin
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2009 18:46 |  #13

if I were you I would spent some money on TC-80N3 remote and just leave the camera on its own without computer connected. secondly that sample looks ok but I wouldn't use that tight crop. I would shoot much wider and crop the photos later in the processing if needed => as you can see in that sample leaves are already outside the frame...

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

SF ­ Lights
682 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 08, 2009 18:58 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

That's great!

Deck One - Star Trek

www.deck-one.org (external link)
Proud owner of an XTi, and some lenses that will never satisfy me.

prime80
Goldmember
2,360 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 08, 2009 19:10 |  #15

Very interesting...Nice job!

John
EOS R, 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF-S 10-18 IS STM, 580EX II, EOS M
Full Gear List

sponsored links

5,410 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time lapse of growing plant with 30D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.