Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Mar 2009 (Saturday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10-22mm question... normal or defective..

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 07, 2009 09:47 |  #1

Hey guys,

Just picked up a brand new 10-22 and have been playing around with it... mostly indoors so far today..

using it with an xs body..

other lens i have are the 50mm and a kit 18-55is.

anyway.. my 10-22 seems to have issue picking a focus spot sometimes...

it just keeps trying to "pick a spot" and keeps searching and searching...

never really noticed that problem with my other two lens... except the 50mm in lowlight sometimes...

anyone with any insight?

sponsored links
JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 07, 2009 10:24 |  #2

Is it ok outside or do you only get this problem indoors?

Jo
Flickr (external link)

briancmo
830 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 07, 2009 10:29 |  #3

Couple things could be happening here

1) Your camera focuses by 'seeing' lines of contrast then focusing until the line is as sharp as possible. So, If you point it at a plain white sheet of paper, the camera will keep hunting for focus since there's not lines to focus on. If you add a straight black line to the paper and try the excersice again, your camera will use the thick black line and be able to lock focus.

2) Your XS allows your to choose a focus point. I think you have 9 AF points and if your camera is in auto, it will just bounce between those 9 and look for something to focus on. This can be frustrating as sometimes it focuses on your desired target, other times on a tall tree in the background...grrrrr! You can go into the AF selection menu and select which part of the AF sensor should use to focus (the middle, the left, right, upper...etc.). This way it will only focus on what's in that targeted area.

AF is a function of the camera, not the lens. It is possible that the lens' focus is off and will always backfocus or front focus, but I doubt the hunting is a result of a bad lens.

Good luck and post examples!

Brian
CANON 5D, CANON XTI
24-70L, 430ex,
www.brianmosoff.com (external link)

Cl!ckFoto
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 07, 2009 11:02 |  #4

are you in AI Servo trying to shoot a static subject? Put it on AI Focus and see what happens

-Matt
FOR SALE!
5D|17-40L SOLD!|85f1.8|Sigmalux SOLD!|580ex SOLD!

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 07, 2009 13:20 as a reply to  @ Cl!ckFoto's post |  #5

hey guys.. so i switched to my 18-55 and tried to take pictures on the same things... and it's doing the same... so could it be something wrong with my camera..

it was on oneshot and now i moved it over to ai-focus.. same issue... i am trying to take a picture of a static object though... like the ceiling lol...maybe it's just me

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 07, 2009 13:34 |  #6

shaolinmonk wrote in post #7474698 (external link)
hey guys.. so i switched to my 18-55 and tried to take pictures on the same things... and it's doing the same... so could it be something wrong with my camera..

it was on oneshot and now i moved it over to ai-focus.. same issue... i am trying to take a picture of a static object though... like the ceiling lol...maybe it's just me

Read briancmo's post above again.

The ceiling likely doesn't have enough contrast to lock focus. Put focus in One Shot, select the center point and point it at something that isn't so bland, contrast-wise.

flickr (external link)

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 07, 2009 13:55 |  #7

briancmo wrote in post #7473965 (external link)
Couple things could be happening here

1) Your camera focuses by 'seeing' lines of contrast then focusing until the line is as sharp as possible. So, If you point it at a plain white sheet of paper, the camera will keep hunting for focus since there's not lines to focus on. If you add a straight black line to the paper and try the excersice again, your camera will use the thick black line and be able to lock focus.

2) Your XS allows your to choose a focus point. I think you have 9 AF points and if your camera is in auto, it will just bounce between those 9 and look for something to focus on. This can be frustrating as sometimes it focuses on your desired target, other times on a tall tree in the background...grrrrr! You can go into the AF selection menu and select which part of the AF sensor should use to focus (the middle, the left, right, upper...etc.). This way it will only focus on what's in that targeted area.

AF is a function of the camera, not the lens. It is possible that the lens' focus is off and will always backfocus or front focus, but I doubt the hunting is a result of a bad lens.

Good luck and post examples!

what you say makes perfect sense.. guessi usually don't point the cam at "nothing" so i've never noticed it bouncing around like that...

if i choose a focus point it will work....

thanks guys..

sponsored links

799 views & 0 likes for this thread
10-22mm question... normal or defective..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.