Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Mar 2009 (Monday) 17:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cd Printing

Lemmonphotography
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 09, 2009 17:23 |  #1

Hey everybody, i would like to know what my best options are for printing logos and titles on cds are. If i want to purchase a machine, i believe my two options are to either buy a user friendly machine, or the more expensive cd printers. I will be making numerous cds with sideshows and interviews and would like logos on all of them. Do you guys have any suggestions, or products you could recomend for this? thank you all very much.

30d w/ BG-E2
200mm f/2.8L II
28-135 f/ 3.5-5.6
50mm f/1.4

aim: sweetndsour15

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 09, 2009 17:28 |  #2

Epson R290. Your ambiguous location suggests the US (since US people are the only people who don't think it's necessary to write in their country), and in the US Canon printers can't print to CD without a hack, since Epson has a patent.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

KAS
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 09, 2009 21:48 |  #3

Canon isn't totally out of the loop:

PIXMA iP6700D, iP5300 and iP4300 all print directly to CD

1Ds MkIII, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 100mm F/2.8, EF 35 f/1.4L, EF 50 f/1.2L, EF 85 f/1.2L II)

| Niagara Weddings & Portraits - Afterglow Images (external link)
| Niagara Weddings & Portraits - Afterglow Images Blog (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 09, 2009 22:31 |  #4

I use a Canon i4500 printer to direct print. The hack is not really a hack at all. You just need to run it on European drivers, and buy the CD tray. Drivers are available on the Canon european site, and the tray off ebay.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 10, 2009 00:50 |  #5

Epson R280 - $60 bucks at Epson - http://www.epson.com …BVCookie=yes&oi​d=63069504 (external link)

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 10, 2009 01:01 |  #6

Lightscribe if you want laser instead of ink. Drawbacks are it takes a long time, only monochrome, and doesn't burn very dark.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cevad
98 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 14, 2009 02:51 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #7

I'm so glad I found this thread while my blood is still boiling so I can vent a little and possibly save someone else from making the mistake I made only a week ago.

I am very frugal and I usually research a product ad nauseam before I make a purchase but just over a week ago I made the huge mistake of buying 200 Lightscribe DVDs for an upcoming event without ever trying the lightscribe process first. Yes, I knew that a quality, detailed disk would take about 21 minutes but I was willing to live with that for this particular customer. I only need about 50 final DVDs and I figured that I would probably make 2 or 3 coasters while trying to perfect my final design. The rest were purchased because I got a good price, (about $75 for 200, HP brand DVD+R).

Anyway, my first DVD was made using the software that Lightscribe offers for free on their website. It was the most recent version and I decided to use one of their templates just to see how a "good" disc should look before I tried my own designs. 21 minutes later my dvd tray opens and I'm all excited to see this wonderful new creation! What I got was a faded piece of crap that I could barely read! The contrast was TERRIBLE! The template was black and white, not grayscale, and it looked I was printing yellow ink on a yellow background with a grayscale printer. I tried a different template... same thing. I tried using Nero instead of the Lightscribe software... same thing. I tried using my own designs... same thing.

Finally, I turned to the internet to research my problem. It seems that in order to get the nice contrast that HP and Lightscribe both show on their websites, you have to re-burn the DVD to make it darker. I re-burned one 3 times and it still looks like crap and I would be embarrassed to sell it. If you want to actually burn a photo on the disc... forget it! A newspaper photo looks better than anything u burn on Lightscribe!

On a happier note, I researched the inkjet printers that will print on DVDs and just ordered the Epson R280 for $69.94 including shipping, direct from Epson. (Ironically, Titus just mentioned it a few posts above this one). I ordered it on friday at 11:15 am and at 9:08 pm that same day I was emailed a shipping confirmation with a FedEx tracking number that estimates the printer will arrive on Monday! That impresses me! My dad has used Epson printers for years and loves them. If this one does 20% of what it claims, I will be ecstatic! Now I just have to buy new discs now. Luckily the HP Lightscribe discs seem to burn data okay

Bottom line, Lightscribe is total crap and I can't believe there isn't more buzz out there about how bad it really is. A Christmas stencil and some Tempra paint would make a better label than Lightscribe!! Perhaps the Lightscribe process is being backed by the Freemasons and the New World Order! I guess the good news though is that if the "mark of the beast" is burned with Lightscribe we are all safe because no one will be able to read it! :lol:

Thank you POTN for letting me rant. I feel much better now. I hope this helps someone else avoid the same mistake.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 14, 2009 09:31 |  #8

Sounds more like you did not understand what you were using than a bad product. My computer has Label Flash, the competition to lightscribe. It does a bit better but not much. All they do is etch the surface, they do not 'print' on it. So it is hard to make it a high contrast image.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

cevad
98 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 15, 2009 23:38 as a reply to  @ Mark1's post |  #9

Mark1... I admitted that I did not do enough research before I jumped into the Lightscribe fiasco but still, I DID visit the Lightscribe site and look at the examples they showed before deciding to try it. The actual product I ended up with was FAR from any of the examples shown and I think the example photos are very misleading. Perhaps I just have a bad batch of DVDs but I seriously doubt it. I used their templates and their software and tried the same design as one they showed a photo of. In my book, Lightscribe is still a joke and a waste of money.

Buying 200 freakin Lightscribe discs without even trying one out first was MY mistake and I'll live with that. That was money that would have been better spent on a "Sham-WOW", a few of those ugly glass globe things that water your plants automatically and possibly some "Bend-A-Roos" for the kids. The misleading example photos on the Lightscribe site however is just plain wrong and my opinion has not changed.

sponsored links

1,548 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cd Printing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.