Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Mar 2009 (Monday) 21:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Archiving pics

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 09, 2009 21:13 |  #1

I'm curious as to what is the best way to store all your pics without using up GB after GB on the computer. I purchased a terabyte of space in a external hard drive. Should I back them up onto that and then dump them of the computer. Any suggestions would be great. What do you do?

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

sponsored links
Yanis
446 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 09, 2009 22:55 |  #2

hello scpictaker,

That is exactly what I do. I usually leave a couple of months worth in my laptop's hard drive then I archive them in my external hard drive. I know I will need more room soon for my recently purchased 5D's pics. I am also thinking about getting another TB external to backup my backup photos. Sounds crazy but it is not fun losing years of photos when your hard drive decides to crash.

Another option is to burn them on DVDs especially now with dual layer blank media. More time consuming and demands space to store them but some find this archiving practice safer.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Yanis :D

Algorithm
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 09, 2009 23:07 |  #3

Yanis wrote in post #7491574 (external link)
That is exactly what I do. I usually leave a couple of months worth in my laptop's hard drive then I archive them in my external hard drive. I know I will need more room soon for my recently purchased 5D's pics. I am also thinking about getting another TB external to backup my backup photos. Sounds crazy but it is not fun losing years of photos when your hard drive decides to crash.

Not crazy at all. Redundancy is key when it comes to storing irreplaceable data like image files. If the data is lost through drive failure, it's gone forever unless you mirrored it somewhere. Having one large back up drive is putting all your eggs in one basket - having a RAID setup or simply having a second drive of similar or equal size and regularly doing manual back ups are two good ways to insure your data. It can be costly but if your main drive fails you would gladly pay the cost of a replacement to get the data back.

Amateur photographers should consider a good backup/storage plan part of the cost of the hobby, and with DSLR/lens prices where they are, you can get set up comparatively cheaply.

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 09, 2009 23:27 |  #4

How are you supposed to backup your pictures without using GB after GB, as you put it, if you have GB after GB of images? How many GB of images do you have? Enough to use up a TB?

I have about 315GB of pictures taken over the last three years. I have at least four hard drives ranging from 400GB to 1TB. I have a main HDD in my main computer which I backup to a second external HDD. I then backup each shoot to a third and fourth external drive that I carry back and forth to my office. So at any given time I have four copies of my images in at least two locations.

I guess I'm just not understanding your question. It sounds as if you want to use as little space as possible but you hava a TB of storage. Is that not enough for one copy of your images? I'd get more than that though. Hard drives are cheap $99 for 1TB drives. Get two or three is what I'd recommend.

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 09, 2009 23:31 |  #5

Algorithm wrote in post #7491633 (external link)
Redundancy is key when it comes to storing irreplaceable data like image files.

Well that is kind of the key - the real key is Redundancy with Different Fail Modes. Otherwise, you still have your eggs all in one basket - just in different piles pretending that they are in different baskets.

If you have all of your backups on redundant magnetic drives (external, hot swappable, etc) and then along comes one EMP, and pfffftt, there goes all the drives at once. So even though I do use redundant drives, I still incorporate a different type of storage in my workflow: EVERYTHING goes on a hard drive that I mirror after every session. THEN, I go through my new photos, and I do a rough filter to screen for the potential keepers, which is usually 10 % of any given shoot. I back up THOSE files to an optical drive.

But I am not done yet. One house fire and there goes both the optical and magnetic. So, I have yet one more layer of backup in my workflow. Once I start editing a photo, it goes in my "Working" folder. As well as the two methods already mentioned, I ALSO backup my Working folder to MozyHome (an Internet storage service.)

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

scpictaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 10, 2009 07:47 |  #6

I like the internet storage idea , I used to be a firefighter and have seen many a pictures lost. When backing up to a EXD, I usually copy and past to the drive. Is that the best way to keep image quality and all EXIF info?

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

YORCHI
200 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 10, 2009 08:03 |  #7

if you don't want to end up having like 4 tb's of external hard drive space...do what I plan on doing

back up to your external hd at least once a month, or twice a month if you shoot alot...and then disconnect it and put it away in a fireproof safe or something...don't use it regularly, just when you back up

back up to dvd at least once a month as well...twice if you shoot more...and save those dvd's in some decent cases and put them in a fireproof safe...

my final method of saving my precious pictures will be to burn them yet again to dvd's and put them in another fireproof safe or just a plain box and keep this box somewhere else like my parents or inlaws garage...

the way I see it...If I lose all of my images, then God didn't want me to have them and he wants me to start all over again...

I already have one hard drive sitting in a box in my garage waiting for the day I send it out to get the data pulled after it died on me...

oh and another thing I do...when I get set to back up my files...I go through my pictures and delete the repeats and the ones I know I will never do anything with...I keep the ones I like or the only ones I have of a certain event or whatever...I'm not a fan of storing things just for the sake of storing them...if I don't need it at all...it's going bye bye

http://www.yorchi.com (external link)

Willie
959 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 10, 2009 08:58 |  #8

Radtech1 wrote in post #7491751 (external link)
If you have all of your backups on redundant magnetic drives (external, hot swappable, etc) and then along comes one EMP, and pfffftt, there goes all the drives at once. So even though I do use redundant drives, I still incorporate a different type of storage in my workflow: EVERYTHING goes on a hard drive that I mirror after every session. THEN, I go through my new photos, and I do a rough filter to screen for the potential keepers, which is usually 10 % of any given shoot. I back up THOSE files to an optical drive.

But I am not done yet. One house fire and there goes both the optical and magnetic. So, I have yet one more layer of backup in my workflow. Once I start editing a photo, it goes in my "Working" folder. As well as the two methods already mentioned, I ALSO backup my Working folder to MozyHome (an Internet storage service.)

Rad

If you are the recipient of an EMP, then you have more things to worry about than what happened to your pics. :)

I know what you're saying, though.

OP, what you describe is not backing up, you're just transferring the pics from one source to another. I also went with Mozy, $4.95/month for unlimitied storage. It is painfully slow, however, since I'm only uploading at about 1 MB/s.

My only concern is that they could go under at any time. With the prices of HD so low, I'm almost tempted to just buy another one, but that doesn't address the offsite storage issue.

Regarding using a HD and then removing it and putting it in storage, I've heard that HD last longer if constantly spinning, that the turning off and on wears it out. I have some drives going for at least 2 years almost non-stop with no issues. Anyone have thoughts on this? Is this true, or just urban myth?

sponsored links

832 views & 0 likes for this thread
Archiving pics
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.