Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 09 Mar 2009 (Monday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trackday Photogs......advice appreciated!!

fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 09, 2009 21:34 |  #1

Hello all!

Im interested in starting up a part time photography business, specifically for trackday/roadracing events. I have a few more yrs before I can make a full time effort so in the meanwhile Id like to take on some work part time to 'hone in' on my amateurish skills.

A trackday friend of mine has started a new business/program involving Mini Roadracing/SM bikes on karting tracks for younger folk (5-15yo) to explore their racing ambitions. After speaking to him, he's interested in me covering the events.

Being new to the business side of this, I was hoping you experience folks can give me some pointers/advice on pricing, selling points, etc.....????

ANY thoughts really would be appreciated!

sponsored links
old ­ git
125 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 10, 2009 14:22 |  #2

Hi

I started covering MX tracks, I now cover two tracks on a regular basis & cover a Club's Race Meets during the season. We have a large van that has been converted to carry my sons race bikes at the rear, the centre area is kitted out to carry two laptops & three printers, two px700 & r1900.

How we work, we cover the mornings sessions, download & print contacts at lunch, & sell all afternoon. Obviously all photo's from the day are then uploade to our site (watermarked), so a few further sales are made during the week.

I do the days on my own, my lad helps out giving out cards, but other then that one person can do it.

I know a few others that do this, but without the onsite printing thier sales are well down. Here's what we do, have a look, might give you a few ideas

http://www.imagemx.web​s.com/ (external link)

Hope this helps

www.imagemx.webs.com (external link)
www.anaturalimage.co.u​k (external link)

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 10, 2009 15:16 |  #3

It does help....THANK YOU for sharing.

I wish I could offer to sell prints onsite but truth is I dont have the funds to invest in that sort of set-up, I have the equipment but no way to transport it or set it up really. Maybe I'll consider taking my laptop and offer selling CD's.....:confused:

I have a question for you after overlooking your site, on your internet sales, do you send them full rez or lower?

Anyhow that's why I started this thread to get some ideas. Thnx again!

old ­ git
125 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 10, 2009 15:24 |  #4

CD's are ok, not a big seller, mainly down to price, but have sold a few more then normal this yea., Do they have any office area you could use? even a hut as long as you can keep the dirt down. Unfortunately 10% of my sales come through my site, 90% on the day.....

Saw one bloke, doing them from the back of his car.

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 10, 2009 15:33 |  #5

Ya know, that hasnt even crossed my mind.......Im gonna give the facilty a ring and ask if it is at all possible to get some office space.

TY!

imager993
113 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 12, 2009 20:16 |  #6

Instead of typing a bunch of stuff on here, I'll point you to an interview that PhotoShelter recently did of me. I've got all sorts of things in there. I sell 100% online with PhotoShelter.

PhotoShelter Interview (external link)

Aaron Kupferman (external link) - Electric Reality (external link) - MotorsportLens (external link)

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2009 22:46 |  #7

Thnx for the link will read in the am.

So I called the track facility and asked about selling prints on the premises, they were going to refer me to the vendor manager, iirc, they actually charge their regular daily vendors fee which is in the ballpark of $250. Gonna have to pass on that feature cuz quite frankly I dont even know if I'll make that much in sales.

Is this normal practice?

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 12, 2009 22:53 |  #8

fortisi876 wrote in post #7513360 (external link)
Thnx for the link will read in the am.

So I called the track facility and asked about selling prints on the premises, they were going to refer me to the vendor manager, iirc, they actually charge their regular daily vendors fee which is in the ballpark of $250. Gonna have to pass on that feature cuz quite frankly I dont even know if I'll make that much in sales.

Is this normal practice?

Yes it is. If you're selling online and off the premises you won't have this problem. If you're setting up shop on their track property then you're considered a vendor, just like the guys selling anything else on a race weekend.

If you think $250 is high, checking their website I found Road America's 2009 Vendor price list runs from $500 for a SCCA Club racing weekend to $1100 for the AMA Superbike weekend, $750 for the SCCA June Sprints, $1700 for the Vintage weekend and the ALMS/World Challenge weekend, to $1500 for the SCCA Runoffs. The Vintage weekend price includes a tent. (woohoo!)

They had the following addendum to the price list
"....includes maximum of 4 daily passes and 1 car pass. Corporate discount will apply to additional passes. Tents, tables, chairs, electricity and fencing are available at additional charge. No shared spaces...."

Road America Vendors Price List (external link)

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 13, 2009 11:08 |  #9

Thnx for your post Dennis!

If you dont mind can you clear something up for me?

I completely agree with your post and the fact they charge photographers for selling prints for the events mentioned in your post BUT :D.......Im specifically speaking of trackday clubs/orgs.

IMHO, there is a huge difference in selling prints to participants of a trackday event (usually a 100 at most) than to fans who show up for a 'featured event' like the AMA, ROLEX, SCCA, etc.....

And you might be right about NJMP's vendor fee being on the low side, Im probably wrong about that figure.

Thnx again for sharing.

imager993
113 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 13, 2009 11:21 |  #10

It all depends on what you can work out with the track day club/org. I have a deal worked out with the group I shoot for. It is all about building up that relationship with them and I used to drive a lot so I already knew the main guy pretty well.

On top of anything that the organization charges, some tracks charge a vendor fee as well. Two of the four tracks I could shoot at charge me a vendor fee of per weekend ($300) and the other two don't. Even though I don't sell anything on site, I am still making money off of events at their track, so they want me to pay. I only shoot the events at the tracks that don't charge me any extra.

Aaron Kupferman (external link) - Electric Reality (external link) - MotorsportLens (external link)

old ­ git
125 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 13, 2009 12:48 |  #11

Wow guys, you do have it hard in the US, i get charged £35, includes ad in race programme, practise days I dont pay as i'm advertising the facility.

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 13, 2009 17:44 |  #12

TY imager!

And yes OG, here in the US everyone wants their cut. LOL!

old ­ git
125 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2009 14:54 |  #13

it might be muddy, but i think i'll stay over here..

fortisi876
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2009 18:52 |  #14

I FINALLY got around to reading this article today, excellant read and pretty much nails what Im hoping to do this season.

Just in case someone in my shoes finds this thread in the future, definitely read the article in the above link.

Thnx again imager!

WRCfan
487 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 16, 2009 23:55 |  #15

Yeah that article is brilliant. A must read!

Thanks imager!

www.aaron-mai.com (external link)
Canon EOS 7D | Canon EOS 5DMkII | EF70-200mm F2.8L USM | EF-S 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS | EF50mm f/1.8 II | Speedlight 580EX

sponsored links

2,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trackday Photogs......advice appreciated!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.