Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 00:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will this be able to support a 500/4???

realitysays
340 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2009 00:34 |  #1

Hi there guys,

I am reviewing a tonne of tripod legs at the moment, i am yet to pick out a head but will must probably use a full gimbal head.
I've been going over and over all the tripods i would like on B&H and i have come to the conclusion that i want a gitzo tripod but the "features" section on B&H's website has got me confused.
I have (within my price range) found 2 tripods.

Gitzo GT2531 Carbon Fiber
Gitzo GT2932 Basalt Tripod.

Now this is the part that confuses me. On the website it says the 2531 should only use 300mm lenses MAX and the same with the 2932. Should i just disregard this as i have seen other people that use 1 series and 0 series tripods to support a 500, but then again, i do not know how much stress or how sturdy theres really is.

Just want to know whether or not to go ahead and get one of the above two, as it seems the only thing B&H recommends for 500+ lenses is a 5 series tripod.

Many thanks!

EDIT***** Or would i be better off spending around a hundred extra for a 3 series tripod just to be on the safe side??? Can anyone explain why also. E.g. the 2 series will tilt to the side, put too much pressure on the camera mount etc..... or something.

2012 Cams Accredited Motorsport Photographer
Follow Me on Facebook! (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​koryleung/ (external link)
www.koryleungphotograp​hy.com.au (external link) - Motorsports & Automotive Photography

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,307 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 11, 2009 01:28 |  #2

realitysays wrote in post #7499683 (external link)
Hi there guys,

I am reviewing a tonne of tripod legs at the moment, i am yet to pick out a head but will must probably use a full gimbal head.
I've been going over and over all the tripods i would like on B&H and i have come to the conclusion that i want a gitzo tripod but the "features" section on B&H's website has got me confused.
I have (within my price range) found 2 tripods.

Gitzo GT2531 Carbon Fiber
Gitzo GT2932 Basalt Tripod.

Now this is the part that confuses me. On the website it says the 2531 should only use 300mm lenses MAX and the same with the 2932. Should i just disregard this as i have seen other people that use 1 series and 0 series tripods to support a 500, but then again, i do not know how much stress or how sturdy theres really is.

Just want to know whether or not to go ahead and get one of the above two, as it seems the only thing B&H recommends for 500+ lenses is a 5 series tripod.

Many thanks!

EDIT***** Or would i be better off spending around a hundred extra for a 3 series tripod just to be on the safe side??? Can anyone explain why also. E.g. the 2 series will tilt to the side, put too much pressure on the camera mount etc..... or something.

i'd get at least a 3 series. in fact that's what i got my FIL for his 500 f4 :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

BradM
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 11, 2009 07:14 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #3

The Gitzo 35 series is great tripod for the 500mm f/4 while the 2x series will support the lens just fine there are a couple "issues" that could come into play. The first is Gitzo's recommnedation of not going above 300mm with the 2x and that is related to vibration dampening, the smaller tubes don't hold the vibes down as well for the longer focal lengths.

The 2nd is the maximum weight handling ability, the 2x goes to about 22 lb's the 35x to almost double that at 37 lb's. If using a pro sized body, the 500mm, a good gimbal and accessories like flash & bracket, an extender it is easy to get very close to that 22 lb limit. It is better to have some cushion before hitting that rated max, though if you hit the weight limit the tripod is not going to collapse in heap in front of you.

For me using the 3541LS with Jobu BW-HD gimbal and the 1D3, 500mm f/4, 1.4x and 580EX with a Better Beamer the system is like a rock, very stable though it does catch a bit of the breeze if it blowing but having a windsock can be a good thing too. ;)

Shaking like a hypertensive squirrel on meth? Buy IS, cheaper than detox & it works.

www.bradmanchas.zenfol​io.com (external link)
The gear list

sevans16
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 11, 2009 12:44 |  #4

At least the 35 series. I actually used mine on my 3540 and bought a 55 series for it just to ge on the safe side.

www.777Photography.com (external link)
D850, D810, Tamron 15-30 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8E VR, 24-70 f2.8E VR, 300 f4 PF, 200-500 f5.6E VR, 500 f5.6E PF, Nikon 85 f1.8G
Gitzo 3540/5540LS, Markins M-20, RRS B2 LR II, Wimberly WH200 Gimbal Head, CS6, LR4, 3-Elinchrom Style RX sets, Eli Quadras

Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 11, 2009 20:18 |  #5

If you have the money get the 5 GT5541LS, if not GT3541LS, but I really suggest getting a tripod that will support the most amount of weight when dealing with the big lenses. What ball head are you thinking about? Markins M20 or RRS BH-55. If you are shooting birds, I'd suggest a Gimbal like a Wimblerly. I like the Markins and it will be the one I get when I get my 500. My combo, and I have researched is the GT5541LS and Markins M20 and a Wimberly II (not using both at the same time, just when I use my other kit silly).

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 11, 2009 21:01 |  #6

At minimum you need a 3 series. If you have the money and weight is not a concern then the 5 series is the optimal legset to get. However, the 3 series are used by many shooters with a 500. You might want to visit the Nature forums and see what the members are using. I'll bet you will see 3 or 5 series users. I seriously doubt you will read many recommendations for a 2 series and even less for a 1 series.

Jim

My Gear

sponsored links

1,290 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will this be able to support a 500/4???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.