Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

suggestions for lightweight tripod for walking around in the city

bluemotion
113 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 11, 2009 13:24 |  #1

I'm gonna be taking a trip to new york soon and wanted to invest in a lightweight tripod, maybe carbon fiber, but something that wont break the budget. I'm mostly looking into something that i can carry around with me in the city without looking too out of place.. i have a manfrotto hdv fluid head and a video tripod kit, but it's way too large and heavy to carry around the city and traveling in subways etc.. but i definitely need a tripod because i want to be able to take long exposure shots in the evening. by the way i already have a manfrotto ball head so all i need now are some lightweight legs. any suggestions?? thanks.oh by the way the tripod will be holding my 5dII and either my 16-35L or 50L.

Quan
flickr (external link)
5DII | 5DII backup | 16-35mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | Macbook Pro
Complete Gear List

sponsored links
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 11, 2009 15:11 |  #2

Feisol makes a tripod like this, only 17" long when folded. Light as well. Many here have used them, but they're the new kid on the block, you might say. Only available on the net. About $300.

The best IMHO is the Gitzo 1541t, the same specs as above but a lifetime warranty and more compact widthwise when folded up. Solid, long reputation and $500-600.

SLIK makes a good one, but will support only 6 lbs, not approp for your kit.

Another thought is to look for the above Gitzo on the For Sale forum, where it should come in at half the price of new.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

mdr
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 11, 2009 15:20 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #3

Another vote for the Feisol. Bought it three weeks ago and used it on hols the last two weeks.

Choose it over the Gitzo because I'm 6'1" tall, and the Gitzo is just too low fully extended. It is a fair bit cheaper than the Gitzo too.

If your budget is less, consider a second hand Gitzo G1320 Mk II. Used this up until three weeks ago. Light and compact. Decent quality. But not as stable and tall as the Feisol.

Will be selling mine shortly (in UK).

Marc
Glasgow, Scotland
www.marcderidder.com (external link)
www.deridder.me (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,165 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 11, 2009 21:59 |  #4

If you're on a budget and want to try knockoffs, give Benro C-128 a look...small and light.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

bluemotion
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 12, 2009 11:56 |  #5

that benro is looking pretty good right now... anyone have any opinions of the adorama flashpoint carbon fiber legs??

Quan
flickr (external link)
5DII | 5DII backup | 16-35mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | Macbook Pro
Complete Gear List

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 12, 2009 12:26 |  #6

bluemotion wrote in post #7509411 (external link)
that benro is looking pretty good right now... anyone have any opinions of the adorama flashpoint carbon fiber legs??

Search "flashpoint" here. I think I read that it was a bit flimsy and unstable. As I remember someone here saying, "There are tripods that are lightweight, stable and cheap. You can have two out of three, but not all."

Be careful about spending on a tripod. IMO, the Feisol and Benro are less expensive versions of the Gitzo. You'll spend $250-300 here. If something goes wrong or it's out of warranty, you're out that money and will still have to buy a better tripod. If you buy a Gitzo, it's a lifetime investment. You can probably sell it used and get 75% of what you paid, if you need a larger or a studio tripod. If you have a 5D2, it looks like you've invested in photography, and I would consider what works in the long run.

BYW, any of these tripods will support your camera and lenses.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Snow001
328 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 12, 2009 12:46 |  #7

bluemotion wrote in post #7509411 (external link)

I am also quite interested in th Benro C-069 model as it folds down to 13 inches. When you finally decide on which leg to get, let us please know how you like it if you do decide to go with benro

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 12, 2009 13:02 |  #8

I recommend the Gitzo 1541T with Markins Q3T head combo as well. Its what I use formy city work too. You can see my review on it here: LINK

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

bluemotion
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 12, 2009 20:42 |  #9

ok i gave in and bought the very expensive but very nice gitzo 1541T... i'm just using my manfrotto ball head, but i really like the setup.. even though i can't afford it.. =(

Quan
flickr (external link)
Complete Gear List

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 12, 2009 20:57 |  #10

bluemotion wrote in post #7512598 (external link)
ok i gave in and bought the very expensive but very nice gitzo 1541T... i'm just using my manfrotto ball head, but i really like the setup.. even though i can't afford it.. =(

Congrats. Use it in the best of health.

Consider this camera strap for New York. It's got steel wires in it to thwart thieves that will use a boxcutter to slash your camera strap and rip the camera out of your hands. It's $20 and will give you peace of mind. I use it on my cameras all the time in the city here, as everyone with a camera looks like a tourist. It's great for the bazaars of the Middle East as well. The loops in the shoulder pad allow the thinner strap to move through quickly, if you want to carry the camera on your hip as I do. The strap itself is very light, you don't notice the steel wires or camera attachments.

Photo courtesy www.pacsafe.com (external link) and www.rei.com (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay

bluemotion
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 13, 2009 00:15 |  #11

hmm not sure if i need to go that far for theft deterance in enw york.. last time i was there.. didn't seem too shady whatsoever.. and i just got a canon handstrap for my 5dII and battery grip combo... so the camera will be secure in my hand.. but yea.. excited to be using this tripod, it's really light and the exactly everything i've ever wanted in a tripod other than it being so expensive.. =p

Quan
flickr (external link)
Complete Gear List

bunyarra
429 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 13, 2009 10:43 as a reply to  @ bluemotion's post |  #12

Yet another vote for a Feisol. Bought the CT-3441 and put my old Acratech head on. Lightweight and perfect for travelling while still extending far enough not give you back ache.

-------------
Michael Gove
http://photosignals.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Google+ Profile (external link)

sponsored links

1,913 views & 0 likes for this thread
suggestions for lightweight tripod for walking around in the city
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.