Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2009 (Saturday) 06:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Photographers With Websites

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 14, 2009 06:32 |  #1

I do my day work as an editor for a large directory, mainly adding websites. Right now, I am filling out this category (external link). If you have a working website with your own domain, [no freeserves like geocities or tripod, and no Under Construction pages] I will be happy to list it for you, for free of course. Make sure your meta tags are in the page source and they conform to those you see already listed. In other words, I am not going to write the description for you, I just don't have the time. No sales pitch in the description text, no I, We, or anything like that, just state what you do in simple terms. Best to read a few of the other descriptions to get the idea. PM me with the site link and I will list your site. Everyone can use another good link to their website. :)

I am still building the category and will continue adding states, so if you don't see your state yet, tell me which it is in the PM.

<edit>Possibly a mod could move this to the Discuss Weddings Forum? Maybe even sticky it for awhile. I don't think I'm breaking any rules as it's free and I'm not advertising the directory, just doing a favor for other POTN members. I'll even list commercial websites member owned in other categories if they have them. Weddings is just so obvious and I am working in it now. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links
deemarie
241 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2009 10:05 |  #2

What a nice thing to do...Thanks!

Namast'e

dpurslow
783 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 16, 2009 14:07 |  #3

Hey if you happen to know who does the UK version, I would be interested in having my wedding website on there

thanks

Regards,
David Purslow
07799 666808
/EMAIL] (external link)Birmingham Wedding Photographer (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 16, 2009 15:32 |  #4

I can do that. PM me with the information.

Well, I can add it here. There is a whole other directory for Europe which I have nothing to do with and can't help with that one.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 16, 2009 16:16 |  #5

How about New Zealand?!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 16, 2009 16:37 |  #6

Sorry Tim, can't do that one.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 17, 2009 00:16 |  #7

Add me in :)

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 17, 2009 05:52 |  #8

I had to put you in the main category as there is no Aussie or NZ cats and I can not make any until there are a decent number of sites to list in them. I can't make cats with only one or two listings. Not my rules, sorry. I have to play strictly by their rules.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just so everyone knows, I will have the final say as to the title and description I list. I have to stay strictly within the guidelines and they are narrow. If you look through some of the other state listings already done, you can get a pretty good idea of what the limits are. In a directory, it's not our purpose to list sales pitches, but just the facts of what your site does or is about. All the selling hype has to be done on your own site, after the user clicks our links to them.

I have made my living doing SEO for ten years now, and I can't tell you how exasperating it is to open the source of a site page and see 5 lines of gobble-dee-goop repeat buzzwords in the Title of the page. And even worse in the description. Does nobody know that that kind of thing is why some sites are found on page 22 and not on page one of the search engines? All search engines worth their salt will deduct ranking points if your Title is longer than about 211 characters, including spaces, and some are actually less. And Description tags should read like a sentence in a book, not some childish line of dribble with the same three words repeated over and over. More deductions for that, and they might just kick your listing out altogether if they think you are stroking the system. Want a top ranked listing, play by their rules. You will rise to the top, because now, just as the worlds banking system goes, so goes the search listings, corruption always ends on the bottom and the fair players always end on the top.

So reading some of the already listed descriptions can teach you a lot about what the search engines and especially the directories want to see. I bet very few of you knew that the search people, like Google and MSN Search use the listings from the directories for their preferred ranking listings did you? Know why? Because Yahoo, ODP and BOTW have live editors working for them, going over every site that gets a listing. They know they are good, working and most importantly, on point websites, something even the smartest spider can only guess at. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 17, 2009 05:57 |  #9

That's great! Thanks so much, I hope it helps with my ranking :)

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 17, 2009 06:03 |  #10

It already shows here for me. And no matter what, it can't hurt to have a listing in a highly rated directory. Eventually, the Google and MSN spiders will zip through our directory and pick you up and list your site with them. That's where the power in a listing at a directory really comes from. Not many people actually use directories and drill down to find listings. They use Google or MSN. Only power surfers know that using a directory is the best way to find a truly relevant site these days. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 17, 2009 06:07 |  #11

Thanks for the info, and the link! It might get me from #3 back to #1!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

stjuste
54 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 10, 2009 23:04 |  #12

Thanks alot for doing this!

:)

5D | 30D | 20D
16-35 f2.8L | 24-70 f2.8L | 35 f1.4L | 50 f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.0 | 200 f2.8L

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2009 06:24 |  #13

I am now done with the weddings category and moved on to Portraits. But I can always come back and add a site to weddings, so if you are just now finding this thread and want a listing, added, just shoot me a PM. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2009 16:12 |  #14

PMing... :)

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

Tampa-Bay
26 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 12, 2009 22:25 |  #15

PM'd you. Thanks a ton!

St Petersburg FL Photographer (external link) | Florida Beach Weddings (external link) | SEO for Photographers (external link) | [URL="http://www.tampa​baysearch.net/photogra​phy.html"]Commercial Photography Tampa (external link)

sponsored links

2,261 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Photographers With Websites
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.