Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 21:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Quadra or Ranger?

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 03, 2010 15:01 |  #2296
bannedPermanent ban

mumbles wrote in post #11218787 (external link)
Couldn't you just plug it in like a normal pack without the need of that inverter looking thing? Like the Quadra etc..

Looks like they've just inverted the Quadra setup - rather than having the electronics at the wall-plug end of the cable, they've put it at the pack end. Means you can use a standard IEC power cable, which makes a lot of sense.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

sponsored links
Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 03, 2010 15:05 |  #2297

Couldn't you just plug it in like a normal pack without the need of that inverter looking thing? Like the Quadra etc..

I don't know. Maybe the charger is not powerful enough to supply continuous modelling lights and recycle the caps fast enough without needing additional power from the battery. From the specs it looks like I could supply the Porty heads' and normal heads' modelling light. I haven't used it.

Tobi

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 03, 2010 19:15 |  #2298

From what I see, it replaces the battery. (Instead of charging it)
With a charger, you'd still be running off the battery. So the battery might then last longer, but if it's empty, you're still out of luck.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 03, 2010 20:51 |  #2299

the faster head quadra still didn't freeze Nina's leading toe..

i pushed the 5DMKII to 1/250 to get the freeze.. guess this is as good as i can get.. Nina was full speed to get this high up..

oh well i need the 1DSMKII some day to get the 1/320 sync speeds..

Nina Senior ~ Ballerina Jump

One of my most fav shots this Senior Season..

don't know how i can get this shot without this talented Nina..

She was jumping on this Hill that wasn't perfectly flat.. and probably had divots and Ankle breaking holes, but she pulled this off in total Grace..

also mother held the Quadra for this shot..

The Action Speed Head was used for it capability for the first time.. heck that is the reason i bought this short flash duration flash unit anyways.. right?

i had the quadra at about 4.3 power on the Elichrom scale.. and the light was just outside the right side of the frame.

CameraCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperturef/4.0
Focal Length35 mm
ISO Speed100

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/5144109969_3013007080_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-phamster-/5144109969/  (external link)

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 03, 2010 21:22 as a reply to  @ phamster's post |  #2300

What a truly great shot. She must love it.

Tawcan
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 03, 2010 21:31 |  #2301

Great shot Pham! Commented on your Flickr. Were you using the deep octa for modifier? This is the type of shot I'd love to do one of these days. :)

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Bave
569 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 03, 2010 21:38 |  #2302
bannedPermanent ban

Has anyone used the little 40x40cm Quadra softbox? I'm considering trying it out with the Manfrotto 233B bracket. Looks like any other small softbox option like Qbox 16 will require the adapter ring (increasing the weight). BTW Pham, fantastic shot. I shoot a lot of ballet, tap, and other dance. I'd love to have that end result.

Bob
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 7D

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 21:39 |  #2303

PHAM that's wonderful!

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 03, 2010 21:47 |  #2304
bannedPermanent ban

Bave wrote in post #11220853 (external link)
Has anyone used the little 40x40cm Quadra softbox? I'm considering trying it out with the Manfrotto 233B bracket. Looks like any other small softbox option like Qbox 16 will require the adapter ring (increasing the weight).

You mean this one?

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5085905110_8422c8bd39_b_d.jpg

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

Bave
569 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 03, 2010 21:50 |  #2305
bannedPermanent ban

mickeyjuice wrote in post #11220919 (external link)
You mean this one?

hahaha. Perfect! I knew I saw the bracket here but didn't recall seeing the softbox. Please give me your thoughts on its usefulness, limitations, etc. Its priced way too high but seems more convenient than other small options.

Bob

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 03, 2010 21:57 |  #2306
bannedPermanent ban

I think it's pretty good. It is what it is - a small softbox, so it's not going to give you Octa-style soft wrapping light, but it's a huge improvement over the standard Quadra reflector, and weighs very little more than it. (Also protects the tube better, FWIW.)

That setup above is pretty light and easy to use, as long as you remember you're shooting manual everything, not ETTL.

Bave
569 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 03, 2010 21:59 |  #2307
bannedPermanent ban

mickeyjuice wrote in post #11220983 (external link)
I think it's pretty good. It is what it is - a small softbox, so it's not going to give you Octa-style soft wrapping light, but it's a huge improvement over the standard Quadra reflector, and weighs very little more than it. (Also protects the tube better, FWIW.)

That setup above is pretty light and easy to use, as long as you remember you're shooting manual everything, not ETTL.

Good point. I can see that happening. How quick is that softbox to open? Is it similar to other Elinchrom softboxes? Looks like the shorter 5 ft cable would also work better with that setup.

Bob

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 03, 2010 22:21 |  #2308
bannedPermanent ban

Bave wrote in post #11220997 (external link)
Is it similar to other Elinchrom softboxes? Looks like the shorter 5 ft cable would also work better with that setup.

It's a PITA to put together, TBH, but it's getting easier with time. It's very manual - grab the four bits of steel, stick them in the pockets, wedge them into the plastic speedring.

I'm considering shortening one of my cables (I've got four) to make it easier to use in this configuration.

I'm also moving away from the Mafrotto soon - it's a PITA to move between potrait and landscape, so I'm probably going to one of these, soon - http://store.promediag​ear.com …l-Vertical-Grip_p_10.html (external link)

Sheldon ­ N
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 03, 2010 22:27 |  #2309

Stunner of a shot Pham. Definitely a portfolio image.

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 04, 2010 00:11 |  #2310

mickeyjuice wrote in post #11221103 (external link)
I'm also moving away from the Mafrotto soon - it's a PITA to move between potrait and landscape, so I'm probably going to one of these, soon - http://store.promediag​ear.com …l-Vertical-Grip_p_10.html (external link)

you're tempting me Mick, the Promedia seems really compact and quick changing. Still considering it. How come you and I are the only ones obsessed with mobile Quadra? Ahead of the times lol ;)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links

625,966 views & 1 like for this thread
Elinchrom Quadra or Ranger?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.