Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 15 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Name This City

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2009 21:57 |  #1

I was out of town in our training center last week and had the foresight to bring my camera. This is the view out one of the classroom windows at the end of the day, one of my favorite times for shots of this nature.

Anybody guess the city? There's a major clue in the skyline :D. - Stu

=>

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 15, 2009 21:59 |  #2

Place looks "toddlin' " to me... ;)

That's a POV I don't think I've seen before Stu. Very nice

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2009 22:03 |  #3

Hi Jay and thank you - "toddlin" ? I confess that's a new one on me :D. Well, the POV was actually outside the hotel lobby which was 11 floors directly above the classroom.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #7530741 (external link)
Place looks "toddlin' " to me... ;)

That's a POV I don't think I've seen before Stu. Very nice

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 15, 2009 22:04 |  #4

sapearl wrote in post #7530777 (external link)
Hi Jay and thank you - "toddlin" ? I confess that's a new one on me :D. Well, the POV was actually outside the hotel lobby which was 11 floors directly above the classroom.

"XXXX, XXXX, that toddlin' town..."

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 15, 2009 22:05 |  #5

Is it windy there?
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 15, 2009 22:06 |  #6

Did a man dance with his wife there once...?

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 15, 2009 22:06 |  #7

john-in-japan wrote in post #7530788 (external link)
Is it windy there?
John

...and does it have broad shoulders?

Jay

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2009 22:07 |  #8

Hello John....... hmmmmmm - windy.... well, all I will say at this point is there was quite a "wind chill" factor and I'm glad to have carried extra layers with me :lol:. - stu

john-in-japan wrote in post #7530788 (external link)
Is it windy there?
John

GEAR LIST

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2009 22:08 |  #9

Aahhhhhh.... now it is making more sense ;).

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #7530780 (external link)
"XXXX, XXXX, that toddlin' town..."

GEAR LIST

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 15, 2009 22:11 |  #10

great shot...looks so beautiful...too bad everything else I've ever heard of the city makes me wanna never go lol

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2009 22:15 |  #11

Thank you Lowrider - Well, I'm from Cleveland which has had quite a run of economic bad luck lately, and I was absolutely astonished by the life and vitality downtown at night here. Most of my city hasn't seen excitement like that in years.:(

LowriderS10 wrote in post #7530828 (external link)
great shot...looks so beautiful...too bad everything else I've ever heard of the city makes me wanna never go lol

GEAR LIST

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 16, 2009 06:12 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #12

Is this the only city on our North Coast that isn't going though the economic hard times or does the photographers lens manage to make things look better than they are at street level?
Cleveland is having difficulties, Detroit...is the axilla of the Western Hemisphere, why not Chicago?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 16, 2009 07:46 |  #13

Chauncey my friend, you win the brass ring for uttering the actual name first...... although I strongly suspect that my other friends here were probably holding back :lol:.

But I do agree with you that high altitude shots from nice hotel windows have a way of blurring street level misery for those who have fallen on hard times. Downtown Chicago is stunningly beautiful in areas with it's public art, gleaming steel and shining marble facades. As you drive out to Midway airport though you see boarded up storefronts, the narrow residential alley ways, street people in need and other evidence of the current economic troubles.

It always impresses me how selective cropping and POV can give the lie to an actual reality....... or vice versa. And that's what we do every time we put the viewfinder up to our eye ;). - Stu

chauncey wrote in post #7532596 (external link)
Is this the only city on our North Coast that isn't going though the economic hard times or does the photographers lens manage to make things look better than they are at street level?
Cleveland is having difficulties, Detroit...is the axilla of the Western Hemisphere, why not Chicago?

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,969 views & 0 likes for this thread
Name This City
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.