Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 15 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 23:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1956 Chrysler 300B - Built by Rad Rides by Troy - Detroit Autorama 2009

Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2009 23:24 |  #1

Unfortunately this car was not up for the Ridler Award this year, as it (or parts of it) had been shown previously at other venues. For a car to be eligible to compete, it must be unveiled at the Detroit Autorama.

That being said, this car was probably my favorite one there, and Troy Trepanier is probably my favorite car builder in the past decade or so.

1. Note the detail in the rear bumper. The entire rear bumper has been cut and narrowed to blend in with the body lines of the car. Normally it would stick out past the quarter panels:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

2. While this engine is beautiful, believe it or not it is not done up to the usually higher standards they build to. In the past they have done cars just like this where all the wires and hoses would have been hidden. They have also put modern engines in classic cars and actually created vintage looking wires so it would appear that the car had a vintage engine:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. Interior is done in all custom materials, but has just enough vintage look to not look out of place. Gauges are usually one-off hand made units to fit like they came from the factory:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

4. Another view of the whole engine compartment. Some custom rods are "clean enough to eat off of", this one you could do surgery on.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

5. Cars competing at the Detroit Autorama for the Ridler Award are also judged on presentation (display, carpet, etc.), and you will often see people polishing their cars in their socks so that they don't leave tracks in the carpet.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

6. The car wasn't quite as long as it looks here, I thought I would go full wide with the 10-22 so I could get closer to it, as crowds were starting to gather.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

7. This would have been a nice shot, had I taken a half-step backwards. Oh well...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

8. The builder, Troy Trepanier, Rad Rides by Troy. I've met him a couple times, really nice guy. Car is owned by Nancy and Roger Ritzow.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

http://www.radrides.co​m (external link)

Canon XTi, 18-55mm kit IS and non, 10-22mm, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 580EX
Sigma SD14, 18-125mm DG, 20-40mm f/2.8 EX

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 15, 2009 23:31 |  #2

That is a STUNNING car! Great pictures as well...is it on air? I agree, Trepanier builds some very beautiful cars

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Toeslider
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 16, 2009 00:02 |  #3

LowriderS10 wrote in post #7531320 (external link)
That is a STUNNING car! Great pictures as well...is it on air? I agree, Trepanier builds some very beautiful cars

Funny you should ask, I was just digging these up as you were posting. These are pictures of just the chassis that I took at Goodguys Columbus last year. I don't see air on there, but that doesn't mean they didn't find a way to shoehorn it in there between then and now though. Pretty amazing fabrication work though:

http://www.tmcarphoto.​com/troy/rad9.jpg (external link)

http://www.tmcarphoto.​com/troy/rad10.jpg (external link)

http://www.tmcarphoto.​com/troy/rad11.jpg (external link)

http://www.tmcarphoto.​com/troy/rad12.jpg (external link)

http://www.tmcarphoto.​com/troy/rad13.jpg (external link)

Thomas ­ G
352 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2009 00:45 |  #4

That is one beautiful car!

Thomas G - Seattle Area
(2)Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 1ds MKIII, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.2L, 50 f/1.8, 85L, ABs, Flashpoint 1200 strobes, triggers, other misc bodies, lights, lens, bags, etc.

PhotosGuy
75,908 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 16, 2009 08:21 |  #5

Nice coverage of it in the crappiest lighting you'll ever see!
I tried to get my dad to buy a '57 300C. He bought the Windsor, instead. :cry: But it could corner like it was on rails.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Toeslider
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 16, 2009 08:27 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #7533147 (external link)
Nice coverage of it in the crappiest lighting you'll ever see!
I tried to get my dad to buy a '57 300C. He bought the Windsor, instead. :cry: But it could corner like it was on rails.

I just attempted to re-balance the color in some of them to get them all to look like they are the same car. It's pretty good now, except for the interior shot, which is not that great anyway. If I adjust for the exterior color the interior goes pink, if I adjust for the interior the exterior goes green.

RaymondXTi
978 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 16, 2009 10:15 |  #7

Great shots of an amazing car, thanks for sharing!

Raymond Neice
--Gear List
----Flickr (external link)
------Blogspot (external link)
--Flickriver (external link)

RadAL
Cream of the Crop
9,633 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 16, 2009 17:45 |  #8

don't like those wheels on it, maybe closer to bonneville saltflat wheels or 49-51 mercury wheels.

Equipment: Canon PowerShot A650IS (semi retired) and Canon Powershot G10 (primary) and Rebel XT 350D w/18-55mm kit lens and Quanterey 18-200mm-- www.youtube.com/alexan​der1485 (external link) (has links to some of my pictures on the main page)

Padrino
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 16, 2009 18:39 |  #9

Beautiful!!!

10D+LX3 :D
Flickr (external link)
http://img367.imagesha​ck.us …4/10dbatterygri​p03ad8.jpg (external link)

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 16, 2009 20:16 |  #10

Awesome car....but what were they thinking when they picked the rims!

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 16, 2009 22:45 |  #11

I like the rims...a lot. I like that it has fewer/thicker spokes than Daytons, I like the low-profile tires and the fact that those are probably 18s or 20s without looking like bling wheels...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

PhotosGuy
75,908 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 17, 2009 10:08 |  #12

I like the rims...a lot.

See how you feel about them after you spend all of Saturday morning cleaning them up! :D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,492 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 17, 2009 17:44 |  #13

Cars like that don't get dirty enough to make wheel cleaning that ugly. Think of how long it would take to clean the engine compartment if it was driven in a rain.
Great shots of a very tidy car. Having shown in many indoor shows I know just how bad the lighting & shadows can be.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Toeslider
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 17, 2009 18:21 |  #14

cicopo wrote in post #7543707 (external link)
Cars like that don't get dirty enough to make wheel cleaning that ugly. Think of how long it would take to clean the engine compartment if it was driven in a rain.
Great shots of a very tidy car. Having shown in many indoor shows I know just how bad the lighting & shadows can be.

Don't be so sure. One of Troys other creations, "Chicayne" was finished off to the same degree and was taken on one of the Hot Rod "Power Tours", travelling 1000+ miles.

Another one of his cars was seen at Goodguys Columbus last year with damage to the rear. I suppose it could have shifted in the trailer, but some of these cars DO get driven.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,492 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 17, 2009 20:54 |  #15

I'm not saying that they don't get driven, but I doubt many of that quality get driven to the first batch of shows where they are the feature cars as such. Once they have done the rounds it's likely a better use to drive them a bit since they aren't the "new kid on the block" forever. As for the damage to that car, it could have been a road accident, or even something that happened at a show. It's unfortunate but sometimes other exibitors hit parked cars while trying to get into their assigned spot due to a late arrival or because they rushed etc.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links

9,273 views & 0 likes for this thread
1956 Chrysler 300B - Built by Rad Rides by Troy - Detroit Autorama 2009
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.