Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Mar 2009 (Monday) 16:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Divide and save a photo into multiple files in PS or other software?

Toeslider
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 16, 2009 16:39 |  #1

I'm not sure how to word this to do a search, but what I would like to do is take a scanned image, select several different areas at once, and save them to separate files. I am scanning 35mm film negatives a roll at a time, but I would like to store the images individually and I think I can do it faster/better than the scanner does it if I were to go in after the fact and divide it up. The scanner is set up to recognize individual frames, but more often than not it misses a bunch of them and it is very hard to go in and select the additional areas using the scanner software. It would be easy to take the entire image of what is on the bed of the scanner and divide it up in photoshop, but I don't know how to do that except to select one image, then save it. It would be nice if I could select all the images, then save them all in one step to different files.

If this is possible, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Canon XTi, 18-55mm kit IS and non, 10-22mm, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 580EX
Sigma SD14, 18-125mm DG, 20-40mm f/2.8 EX

earn
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2009 17:00 |  #2

I'm pretty sure that the slice tool in photoshop would do the trick? Although, I have never used it myself. Its used for dividing up an image for websites.

colt
24 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 16, 2009 20:13 |  #3

use the slice tool to "cut" it up however you want, then use save for web and each slice will be a file. If you intend to edit them further, save as gif or png so you don't get jpeg losses and artifacts. if you have < cs3, you can use imageready to do the same thing.

--
I see dead pixels....

Toeslider
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 16, 2009 20:53 |  #4

Sweet, that looks like it will work. There are a lot of settings to mess around with, but it seems to do what I'm looking for.

Canon XTi, 18-55mm kit IS and non, 10-22mm, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 580EX
Sigma SD14, 18-125mm DG, 20-40mm f/2.8 EX

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

974 views & 0 likes for this thread
Divide and save a photo into multiple files in PS or other software?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.