Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Mar 2009 (Friday) 11:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Testing Lenses in Boston

MCB
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 20, 2009 11:01 |  #1

I'm considering getting either a Canon 100-400 or the Sigma 150-500.

I would like to try a few first though, and am wondering if anyone has experience with good shops around Boston to go to when you want to take a few test shots.

Ideally i would like to take a couple shots from several copies of each lens. Will they laugh at me and tell me to take a hike? I know they don't mind a few shots to test a lens. But can i try 3 100-400 and make a note of the serial numbers, then come back after pixel peeping at home?

I would think they might be eager to sell the lens, but not so eager to have me handling them all.

So... any comments on this plan? Places to go? Suggestions for smooth talking a clerk? :lol:

thanks,

sponsored links
tstawarz
79 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 20, 2009 11:07 |  #2

The Camera Company in Norwood on route 1 is a great store with lots of inventory in stock for you to try. I have purchased My 50D and a 17-55 and a 70 -2002.8 from them with great luck.

5DIII gripped, 24-105L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII, 100-400f 4.5-5.6L IS, 100 f/2.8 Macro,580 EX II Flash

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 20, 2009 11:25 |  #3

You might want to wait a week a see if Canon releases an updated 100-400 L. Try Calumet in Cambridge. I know that Hunt's frowns upon customers looking at lenses because they are tired of people who look at their stock and then buy from B+H.

Craigslist in Boston is full of these lenses, it's a good option if you want to save some cash and don't mind testing out a few lemons. If you really want to save some cash wait for the Canon rebates, and then buy it from Calumet after a good test. If you are going to ask for a few lenses to test you should come prepared to buy during that visit.

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 20, 2009 11:26 as a reply to  @ tstawarz's post |  #4

Another very popular place is Hunts Photo (they have a few of stores around). I've only been in the big store in Melrose and it is huge :). Although I've never bought a lens from them I've seen people trying them out in the store. There prices seem much higher then online (at least the things I've priced out) so take that into consideration.

Hope that helps
John

Edit: I posted the same times as Matthew so I guess we have the Hunts answer :)

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

Subimatt
522 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 20, 2009 11:27 |  #5

EP levine does lens rentals I believe that are fairly cheap. Was looking into this recently, havnt tried it yet tho.

5D2 x3,5Dc,60D,40D,16-35LII,24-70L,70-200L 2.8IS,15 FE,24LII,35L,45TSE,50Lx2,85LII,100L Macro,135L,580exII x5
BLOG (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)
Facebook! (external link)

mnez17
210 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2009 13:24 as a reply to  @ Subimatt's post |  #6

I second the Camera Company in Norwood as well as Newtonville Camera in Newton.

Canon 1D Mark III|Canon 40D| Canon 350D| Opteka Battery Grip| 430EX| EF 85mm f/1.8 USM| EF 70-200mm 2.8L USM|EF 300mm IS 2.8L|EFS 17-55mm IS USM 2.8 |Kenko 1.4X

A.L. Sports (external link)
MaxPreps Profile (external link)/Sports Shooter (external link)

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 20, 2009 14:14 |  #7

Thanks for the tips!

As far as i can tell, Calumet doesn't carry the sigma 150-500. (i drive by it every day, so that was my first choice)

Part of what I would like to do is compare the two lenses. But the other part is actually take shots and make a note of the serial number on the lens. Then I would come back and buy that specific lens (checking the SN before buying). So it's not just a comparison of the two lenses in general, but an attempt to avoid sending back three lenses before i get that "good" one people talk about.

maybe if I phrase it that way the Hunts people won't be so protective of their glass? I see the Hunts advertisements all the time in the Metro, but have never been to their stores...

I would be willing to pay a little more to have that piece of mind** that I'm not going to be sending a lens back to sigma for repairs or calibration or whatever service will make it the best it can be. So Hunts is an option, as is Calumet if i opt for the 100-400.

Thanks again

** (maybe even peace of mind)

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 20, 2009 18:38 |  #8

Matthew Patrick wrote in post #7562813 (external link)
...they are tired of people who look at their stock and then buy from B+H.

yeah, I know what they mean. I've spent about $5k at B&H and $500 at a local shop. They just can't compete on price. If you know exactly what you want, B&H is a great option.

trmwf
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 20, 2009 20:39 |  #9

speaking of B&H....just left their site as I was going to order a lens but they say they are not accepting anymore orders on line until 8:30 pm Saturday night! What's with this????
ps: just for the record I looked at 9:35 pm )eastern) Friday 3-20

Mike

pmk
675 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 20, 2009 20:56 as a reply to  @ trmwf's post |  #10

B&H is very upfront about their respect for the Jewish Sabbath.

Canon 7D ~ S100 ~ Canon 24-105L IS~ Canon 100-400L ~ Canon 17-55 ~ Canon 10-22 ~ Canon 100 Macro ~ Canon 580EXII & 430EX ~ Gitzo GT2530 ~ All in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

Singlespeed Photography (external link)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 20, 2009 21:46 |  #11

That is all and well but its also my biggest pet peeve with B+H and Adorama...No offense to their religion but in this day and age I don't think it is asking too much to hire employees who are not Jewish to work those hours. People do in fact depend on these companies for their businesses from time to time, and they might be losing money because of those policies.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

trmwf
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 20, 2009 22:03 |  #12

Same here, no disrespect, but they lost my order tonight. I guess I never thought someone had to be present for their computor to accept an electronic transaction. All I wanted to do was fill out some information and push the order button so I did just that,
with another camera store.

Mike

Papa ­ Carlo
587 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 20, 2009 22:28 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

MCB wrote in post #7562655 (external link)
I'm considering getting either a Canon 100-400 or the Sigma 150-500.

I would like to try a few first though, and am wondering if anyone has experience with good shops around Boston to go to when you want to take a few test shots.

Ideally i would like to take a couple shots from several copies of each lens. Will they laugh at me and tell me to take a hike? I know they don't mind a few shots to test a lens. But can i try 3 100-400 and make a note of the serial numbers, then come back after pixel peeping at home?

I would think they might be eager to sell the lens, but not so eager to have me handling them all.

So... any comments on this plan? Places to go? Suggestions for smooth talking a clerk? :lol:

thanks,

Another cherry picker to be :-(
You guys make me sick.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 20, 2009 22:33 |  #14

I also agree with Papa Carlo.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 21, 2009 00:34 as a reply to  @ MCB's post |  #15

I like Calumet. The folks at their Cambridge store are very professional, but as you said they do not carry Sigma 150-500.

I have been to Hunt's in Harvard Sq., but was not really impressed.

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

sponsored links

2,453 views & 0 likes for this thread
Testing Lenses in Boston
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.