Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Mar 2009 (Monday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Color or B&W? Which do you prefer?

Cdeming
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 24, 2009 12:13 |  #16

[QUOTE=Bill Boehme;7587173]Dude!!! You got it reversed -- the artist is obviously retro ..... :)

HAHAHAHAHA!! That's awesome. You guys are too funny.

Flo wrote in post #7585098 (external link)
Color all the way.after all.he isn't painting in B&W;)

Thank you for commenting, Gail! I think I will end up keeping it in color.

I'm going to try and hit up this spot again sometime soon. There were about 3 other dudes painting at that intersection. It was a really neat area.

;) Chrissy
Gear - 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.2L, Speedlite 580EXII Website (external link) l Blog  (external link)l Facebook (external link) (friend me) l Fanpage (external link) (like me :))
Currently Reading (again): Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2009 12:14 |  #17

Thank you Chrissy :D - I got the B/W conversion by cheating..... well, not really.

A lot of folks do it by channel mixing and the time that involves. But since I'm lazy and need to learn more about channels, I use Fred Miranda's B/W Workflow Pro plug-in. It is actually the only plug-in I own and really performs as advertised:

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/shopping/BW (external link)

I believe Fred designed it to mimic the effect of the photographer using the traditional B/W filters on lens w/black and white film. For example, he has controls for effects of adding the Red filter, (25A) Yellow (#7), green, orange, etc. You play with the sliders until the desired effect is achieved. You can't beat it for the $19.95 price.

And yes, to me it will always be the Sears tower also. But I wish I'd had more time to wander the Chicago streets and get shots of the " L ".....:rolleyes:

Cdeming wrote in post #7585000 (external link)
......I like your B&W version, Stu. How did you achieve this?? Great picture of the River and Sears (I will never call it Willis) Tower! Just beautiful!

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Cdeming
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 24, 2009 19:15 |  #18

sapearl wrote in post #7588476 (external link)
Thank you Chrissy :D - I got the B/W conversion by cheating..... well, not really.

A lot of folks do it by channel mixing and the time that involves. But since I'm lazy and need to learn more about channels, I use Fred Miranda's B/W Workflow Pro plug-in. It is actually the only plug-in I own and really performs as advertised:

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/shopping/BW (external link)

I believe Fred designed it to mimic the effect of the photographer using the traditional B/W filters on lens w/black and white film. For example, he has controls for effects of adding the Red filter, (25A) Yellow (#7), green, orange, etc. You play with the sliders until the desired effect is achieved. You can't beat it for the $19.95 price.

And yes, to me it will always be the Sears tower also. But I wish I'd had more time to wander the Chicago streets and get shots of the " L ".....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out...that is a great price. I appreciate your help! :)

;) Chrissy
Gear - 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.2L, Speedlite 580EXII Website (external link) l Blog  (external link)l Facebook (external link) (friend me) l Fanpage (external link) (like me :))

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 25, 2009 06:46 as a reply to  @ Cdeming's post |  #19

i am a strong B&W advocate and i think this capture is sensational. the only thing thing i wish wasn't in the shot was the front-end of the modern car.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 25, 2009 09:54 |  #20

Good point......hmmmmm - she could crop out the vehicle's front which would create a tall vertical which. That would be a nice possibility ;).

saiminyaku wrote in post #7593886 (external link)
i am a strong B&W advocate and i think this capture is sensational. the only thing thing i wish wasn't in the shot was the front-end of the modern car.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

akhtar
29 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 25, 2009 14:35 |  #21

B&W is nicer, it has an old feel and more depth.

Canon Rebel XT 350D -> Upgraded to Canon 5D MKII!

tommyqh
367 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 25, 2009 16:26 as a reply to  @ post 7587173 |  #22

i think B&W is more appropriate for this composition.

http://www.jatstudios.​com/ (external link)

Cdeming
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 25, 2009 16:59 |  #23

Okay, for those of you who liked the B&W, what do you think of this? (By the way, I truly appreciate everyone who has commented so far! You all are great! :) ) I also edited out the stop sign

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i392.photobucke​t.com …g/People/IMG_60​01_2_1.jpg (external link)

;) Chrissy

tommyqh
367 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 25, 2009 17:01 |  #24

Cdeming wrote in post #7597746 (external link)
Okay, for those of you who liked the B&W, what do you think of this? (By the way, I truly appreciate everyone who has commented so far! You all are great! :) ) I also edited out the stop sign

QUOTED IMAGE

:cool:

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 25, 2009 19:47 |  #25

Cdeming wrote in post #7597746 (external link)

Perfect! I like the composition and tall aspect ratio of the framing which complements the vertical elements in the image.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 25, 2009 19:59 |  #26

That's it - a keeper! Now if you can just apply an exposure adjustment layer and brighten up the shadows of the shopfront like I did, I feel it will be darn near perfect.... IMHO ;). - Stu

GEAR LIST

Cdeming
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 25, 2009 21:43 |  #27

Hurray!! Thanks, Bill! Thanks, Stu!

;) Chrissy

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 25, 2009 22:03 |  #28

You're welcome Chrissy - and fun to play with :D.

Cdeming wrote in post #7599583 (external link)
Hurray!! Thanks, Bill! Thanks, Stu!

GEAR LIST

Right ­ Cranium ­ Imaging
416 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2009 00:22 |  #29

Just thought I would give it a little different twist. Turned to true Greyscale and added a little spilt toning in the highlights and shadows.

Really wish as others have said the stop sign and the car were not there, did not want to take the time to PS but it could be done.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

(Insert Over Used Photography Quote Here)
Canon Equipment - Mac Computers

tommyqh
367 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 26, 2009 11:31 |  #30

sapearl wrote in post #7598897 (external link)
That's it - a keeper! Now if you can just apply an exposure adjustment layer and brighten up the shadows of the shopfront like I did, I feel it will be darn near perfect.... IMHO ;). - Stu

Stu, at the risk of sounding stupid but I have to ask to learn. what do you mean by adding an exposure adjustment layer?

sponsored links

3,391 views & 0 likes for this thread
Color or B&W? Which do you prefer?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.